One of the first things you may notice is that you become out of breath pretty easily. You might be tempted to brush it off as a sign of getting older. Don’t. Shortness of breath is never normal. See your doctor if it happens to you.
Make an appointment, too, if you have any of these other telltale signs of COPD:
When to Call a Doctor
The following symptoms can mean that you have an infection. Call your doctor within 24 hours if you notice these things:
- You’re out of breath or coughing more than usual.
- Being out of breath affects your daily routine.
- You’re coughing up more gunk that normal.
- The gunk is yellow, green, or rust-colored.
- You have a fever over 101 F.
- You feel dizzy or lightheaded.
Call 911 or go to the emergency room if you’re still out of breath after using the medicines your doctor has prescribed for your COPD.