3,4,3',4'-hydroxyl-benzopyranol[5,4,3-c,d,e]benzopyrn-6-6'-dione, Acide Ellagique, Ácido Elágico.<br/><br/>
Overview InformationEllagic acid is a naturally occurring substance. The best sources of ellagic acid in the diet are strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, and walnuts.
Medicinally, ellagic acid is used to prevent cancer and treat viral and bacterial infections.
How does it work?Ellagic acid may bind to chemicals that cause cancer, and it may also prevent the growth of cancer cells. However, ellagic acid is poorly absorbed and is also eliminated quickly from the body. These characteristics may limit its usefulness as a medicine.
Uses & Effectiveness
Insufficient Evidence for
- Preventing cancer.
- Treating viral infections.
- Treating bacterial infections.
- Other conditions.
We currently have no information for ELLAGIC ACID Interactions.
The appropriate dose of ellagic acid depends on several factors such as the user's age, health, and several other conditions. At this time there is not enough scientific information to determine an appropriate range of doses for ellagic acid. Keep in mind that natural products are not always necessarily safe and dosages can be important. Be sure to follow relevant directions on product labels and consult your pharmacist or physician or other healthcare professional before using.
- Anderson KJ, Teuber SS, Gobeille A, et al. Walnut polyphenolics inhibit in vitro human plasma and LDL oxidation. J Nutr 2001;131:2837-42. View abstract.
- Barch DH, Rundhaugen LM, Stoner GD, et al. Structure-function relationships of the dietary anticarcinogen ellagic acid. Carcinogenesis 1996;17:265-9.. View abstract.
- Constantinou A, Stoner GD, Mehta R, et al. The dietary anticancer agent ellagic acid is a potent inhibitor of DNA topoisomerases in vitro. Nutr Cancer 1995;23:121-30.. View abstract.
- Dell'Agli M, Parapini S, Basilico N, et al. In vitro studies on the mechanism of action of two compounds with antiplasmodial activity: ellagic acid and 3,4,5-trimethoxyphenyl(6'-O-aalloyl)-beta-D-glucopyranoside. Planta Med 2003;69:162-4. View abstract.
- Mullen W, Stewart AJ, Lean ME, et al. Effect of freezing and storage on the phenolics, ellagitannins, flavonoids, and antioxidant capacity of red raspberries. J Agric Food Chem 2002;508:5197-201.. View abstract.
- Priyadarsini KI, Khopde SM, Kumar SS, Mohan H. Free radical studies of ellagic acid, a natural phenolic antioxidant. J Agric Food Chem 2002;50:2200-6. View abstract.
- Xu Y, Deng JZ, Ma J, et al. DNA damaging activity of ellagic acid derivatives. Bioorg Med Chem 2003;11:1593-6.. View abstract.