Sehydrin, Sulfate d'Hydrazine, Sulfato de Hidracina.<br/><br/>
Overview InformationHydrazine sulfate is a chemical used in industry and as jet fuel. Some people use it as medicine.
Hydrazine sulfate is used for treating colon and rectal (colorectal) cancer, lung cancer, brain cancer (neuroblastoma), Hodgkin's disease (lymph cancer), and other cancers. It is also used for the general weight loss and wasting (cachexia) associated with cancer.
How does it work?Hydrazine sulfate may block chemical reactions in the body that might lead to malnutrition and muscle wasting associated with cancer.
Uses & Effectiveness
Possibly Ineffective for
- Colon and rectal cancer that has spread (metastatic colorectal cancer). Taking hydrazine sulfate by mouth does not improve metastatic colorectal cancer.
- Cancer. There is some evidence that hydrazine sulfate is ineffective for treating ovarian cancer, colorectal cancer, breast cancer, lung cancer, pancreatic cancer, cervical cancer, prostate cancer, uterine cancer, melanoma, and other kinds of cancer.
Likely InEffective for
- Lung cancer. Adding hydrazine sulfate to chemotherapy doesn't significantly improve quality of life, tumor response, weight gain, or survival in most people with a type of lung cancer called non-small-cell lung cancer.
Insufficient Evidence for
- Brain tumor: Taking hydrazine sulfate along with chemotherapy may improve nerve-related symptoms in people with brain cancer. It may also help reduce the size of tumors in people with a specific type of brain cancer called glioblastoma.
- General weight loss and wasting associated with cancer. Early research suggests that hydrazine sulfate might slow weight loss in some cancer patients.
- Hodgkin's disease (lymph cancer). Some research suggests that hydrazine sulfate might slow the progress of advanced Hodgkin's disease.
- Nerve cancer (neuroblastoma). There is some evidence that hydrazine sulfate might prevent the growth of neuroblastoma.
- Other conditions.
Side Effects & SafetyHydrazine sulfate is POSSIBLY UNSAFE. It has been linked to cases of liver damage, seizure, coma, and death.
Hydrazine sulfate can cause some side effects including nausea, vomiting, dizziness, drowsiness, nerve problems, violent behavior, restlessness, seizures, coma, confusion, mood stimulation, excitement, weakness, irregular breathing, abnormal blood sugar levels, rash, and kidney damage.
Special Precautions & Warnings:Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Hydrazine sulfate is POSSIBLY UNSAFE for anyone, including pregnant and breast-feeding women. It has been linked to cases of liver damage, seizure, coma, and death.
Diabetes: Hydrazine sulfate might lower blood sugar levels in people with diabetes. Watch for signs of low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) and monitor your blood sugar carefully if you have diabetes and use hydrazine sulfate.
Liver disease:Hydrazine sulfate might damage the liver. It might be unsafe for people with liver disease.
Surgery: Since hydrazine sulfate might to affect blood glucose levels, there is a concern that it might interfere with blood glucose control during and after surgery. Stop using hydrazine sulfate at least 2 weeks before a scheduled surgery.
Do not take this combination
Medications for depression (MAOIs) interacts with HYDRAZINE SULFATE
Hydrazine sulfate contains a chemical that affects the body. This chemical might increase the side effects of some medications used for depression.<br /> Some of these medications used for depression include phenelzine (Nardil), tranylcypromine (Parnate), and others.
Sedative medications (CNS depressants) interacts with HYDRAZINE SULFATE
Hydrazine sulfate might cause sleepiness and drowsiness. Medications that cause sleepiness are called sedatives. Taking hydrazine sulfate along with sedative medications might cause too much sleepiness.<br /> Some sedative medications include clonazepam (Klonopin), lorazepam (Ativan), phenobarbital (Donnatal), zolpidem (Ambien), and others.
Be cautious with this combination
Isoniazid (INH, Nydrazid) interacts with HYDRAZINE SULFATE
Isoniazid is a drug used for tuberculosis. The body breaks isoniazid down to hydrazine. Using both isoniazid and hydrazine might increase the risk of liver damage.
Medications for diabetes (Antidiabetes drugs) interacts with HYDRAZINE SULFATE
Hydrazine sulfate might decrease blood sugar. Diabetes medications are also used to lower blood sugar. Taking hydrazine sulfate along with diabetes medications might cause your blood sugar to go too low. Monitor your blood sugar closely. The dose of your diabetes medication might need to be changed.<br /> Some medications used for diabetes include glimepiride (Amaryl), glyburide (DiaBeta, Glynase PresTab, Micronase), insulin, pioglitazone (Actos), rosiglitazone (Avandia), chlorpropamide (Diabinese), glipizide (Glucotrol), tolbutamide (Orinase), and others.
The appropriate dose of hydrazine sulfate depends on several factors such as the user's age, health, and several other conditions. At this time there is not enough scientific information to determine an appropriate range of doses for hydrazine sulfate. Keep in mind that natural products are not always necessarily safe and dosages can be important. Be sure to follow relevant directions on product labels and consult your pharmacist or physician or other healthcare professional before using.
- Toth B. A review of cancer risk associated with human exposure to hydrazines. Intern J Oncol 1994;4:231-239.
- Vasudeva, M. and Vashishat, R. K. Mutagenic and recombinogenic activity of hydrazine sulphate in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mutat.Res 1985;155(3):113-115. View abstract.
- Vickers, A. Alternative cancer cures: "unproven" or "disproven"? CA Cancer J Clin 2004;54(2):110-118. View abstract.
- Warren, D., Cornelius, C., and Ford, B. Liver function studies on rhesus monkeys (Macaca mulatta) following the administration of hydrazine sulfate. Vet Hum Toxicol 1984;26(4):295-299. View abstract.
- Wiernikowski, A. and Langer, D. [Acute poisoning with orally ingested hydrazine hydrate]. Polski Tygodnik Lekarski 7-21-1975;30(29):1231-1232. View abstract.
- Zheng, H. and Shank, R. C. Changes in methyl-sensitive restriction sites of liver DNA from hamsters chronically exposed to hydrazine sulfate. Carcinogenesis 1996;17(12):2711-2717. View abstract.
- Black M, Hussain H. Hydrazine, cancer, the Internet, isoniazid, and the liver. Ann Intern Med 2000;133:911-3. View abstract.
- Bouhnik Y, Vahedi K, Achour L, et al. Short-chain fructo-oligosaccharide administration dose-dependently increases fecal bifidobacteria in healthy humans. J Nutr 1999;129:113-6. View abstract.
- Fitzgerald B.E. and Shank, R. C. Methylation status of DNA cytosine during the course of induction of liver cancer in hamsters by hydrazine sulfate. Carcinogenesis 1996;17(12):2703-2709. View abstract.
- Freese, E., Sklarow, S., and Freese, E. B. DNA damage caused by antidepressant hydrazines and related drugs. Mutat.Res 1968;5(3):343-348. View abstract.
- Gershanovich, M. L., Danova, L. A., Kondratyev, V. B., Malyugina, L. L., Stukov, A. N., Seitz, J. F., and Filov, V. A. Clinical data on the antitumor activity of hydrazine sulfate. Cancer Treat.Rep. 1976;60(7):933-935. View abstract.
- Gold J. Hydrazine sulfate and cancer cachexia. Nutrition and Cancer 1979;1(4):4-9.
- Gold J. Use of hydrazine sulfate in advanced cancer patients: preliminary results [abstact]. Proc Am Assoc Cancer Res 1974;15:83.
- Gold, J. Anabolic profiles in late-stage cancer patients responsive to hydrazine sulfate. Nutr.Cancer 1981;3(1):13-19. View abstract.
- Gold, J. Hydrazine sulfate: a current perspective. Nutr.Cancer 1987;9(2-3):59-66. View abstract.
- Gold, J. Proposed treatment of cancer by inhibition of gluconeogenesis. Oncology 1968;22(2):185-207. View abstract.
- Gold, J. Use of hydrazine sulfate in terminal and preterminal cancer patients: results of investigational new drug (IND) study in 84 evaluable patients. Oncology 1975;32(1):1-10. View abstract.
- Grubbs, B., Rogers, W., and Cameron, I. Total parenteral nutrition and inhibition of gluconeogenesis on tumor- host responses. Oncology 1979;36(5):216-223. View abstract.
- Johnson, D. C., Freudenberg, M. A., Jia, F., Gonzalez, J. C., Galanos, C., Morrison, D. C., and Silverstein, R. Contribution of tumor necrosis factor-alpha and glucocorticoid in hydrazine sulfate-mediated protection against endotoxin lethality. Circ.Shock 1994;43(1):1-8. View abstract.
- Jung, R., Engelhart, G., Herbolt, B., Jackh, R., and Muller, W. Collaborative study of mutagenicity with Salmonella typhimurium TA102. Mutat.Res 1992;278(4):265-270. View abstract.
- Kamradt, J. M. and Pienta, K. J. The effect of hydrazine sulfate on prostate cancer growth. Oncol.Rep. 1998;5(4):919-921. View abstract.
- Kulkarni, S. G. and Nawaz, M. Acute hepatic encephalopathy following hydrazine - hydrate poisoning. J Assoc Physicians India 1982;30(3):171-172. View abstract.
- Langauer-Lewowicka, H. and Kujawska, A. [Cerebral bioelectrical activity disorders in acute hydrazine poisoning]. Neurol.Neurochir.Pol. 1978;12(4):451-456. View abstract.
- Laszlo, J., Durant, J., and Loeb, V. Clinical pharmacologic study of 1-acetyl-2-picolinoyl hydrazine (NSC- 68626). Cancer Chemother Rep 1969;53(2):131-134. View abstract.
- Lerner, H. J. and Regelson, W. Clinical trial of hydrazine sulfate in solid tumors. Cancer Treat.Rep. 1976;60(7):959-960. View abstract.
- Muller, W., Engelhart, G., Herbold, B., Jackh, R., and Jung, R. Evaluation of mutagenicity testing with Salmonella typhimurium TA102 in three different laboratories. Environ Health Perspect 1993;101 Suppl 3:33-36. View abstract.
- Nadel MV. Contrary to allegation, NIH hydrazine sulfate studies were not flawed. Report to the Chairman and Ranking Minority Member, Human Resources and Intergovernmental Relations Subcommittee, House Committee on Government Reform and Oversight 1995;1-24.
- Nagappan, R. and Riddell, T. Pyridoxine therapy in a patient with severe hydrazine sulfate toxicity. Crit Care Med. 2000;28(6):2116-2118. View abstract.
- Quintero-Ruiz, A., Paz-Neri, L. L., and Villa-Trevino, S. Indirect alkylation of CBA mouse liver DNA and RNA by hydrazine in vivo. A possible mechanism of action as a carcinogen. J Natl.Cancer Inst. 1981;67(3):613-618. View abstract.
- Reid, F. J. Hydrazine poisoning. Br Med J 11-20-1965;5472:1246. View abstract.
- Seits, I. F., Gershanovich, M. L., Filov, V. A., Danova, L. A., and Kondrat'ev, V. B. [Experimental and clinical data on the antitumor action of hydrazine sulfate]. Vopr.Onkol. 1975;21(1):45-52. View abstract.
- Spremulli, E., Wampler, G. L., and Regelson, W. Clinical study of hydrazine sulfate in advanced cancer patients. Cancer Chemother.Pharmacol. 1979;3(2):121-124. View abstract.
- Strum SB, Bierman HR, and Thompson R. Hydrazine sulfate in patients with neoplasia [abstract]. Proc Am Assoc Cancer Res and Am Soc Clin Oncol 1975;16:243.
- Suzuki, H., Tominaga, T., Mizuno, H., Kouno, M., Suzuki, M., Kato, Y., Sato, A., Okabe, K., Uchikoshi, T., Maezono, K., and . Ethanol and hydrazine sulfate induced chronic hepatic injury in rats: the curative effect of administration of glucogenic amino acids. Alcohol Alcohol Suppl 1993;1A:111-117. View abstract.
- Tayek, J. A., Heber, D., and Chlebowski, R. T. Effect of hydrazine sulphate on whole-body protein breakdown measured by 14C-lysine metabolism in lung cancer patients. Lancet 8-1-1987;2(8553):241-244. View abstract.
- Tayek, J. A., Sutter, L., Manglik, S., Lillington, L. B., Grosvenor, M., and Chlebowski, R. T. Altered metabolism and mortality in patients with colon cancer receiving chemotherapy. Am.J.Med.Sci. 1995;310(2):48-55. View abstract.
- Beer DT and Schaffner F. Fatal jaundice after administration of beta-phenylisopropylhydrazine. JAMA 1959;171(7):887-889.
- Bhide, S. V. Anticancer properties of isoniazid & hydrazine-sulphate. Indian J Exp Biol 1978;16(8):926-928. View abstract.
- Bhide, S. V., D'Souza, R. A., Sawai, M. M., and Ranadive, K. J. Lung tumour incidence in mice treated with hydrazine sulphate. Int J Cancer 10-15-1976;18(4):530-535. View abstract.
- Bosan, W. S., Shank, R. C., MacEwen, J. D., Gaworski, C. L., and Newberne, P. M. Methylation of DNA guanine during the course of induction of liver cancer in hamsters by hydrazine or dimethylnitrosamine. Carcinogenesis 1987;8(3):439-444. View abstract.
- Bruera, E. Clinical management of anorexia and cachexia in patients with advanced cancer. Oncology 1992;49 Suppl 2:35-42. View abstract.
- Cameron, I. L. Effect of total parenteral nutrition on tumor-host responses in rats. Cancer Treat.Rep 1981;65 Suppl 5:93-99. View abstract.
- Cavaliere, A., Bufalari, A., and Vitali, R. Carcinogenicity and cocarcinogenicity test of phenobarbital sodium in adult BALB/c mice. Tumori 4-30-1986;72(2):125-128. View abstract.
- Chlebowski RT, Heber D, Richardson B, and et al. Association between improved carbohydrate metabolism and weight maintenance in hydrazine sulfate treated patients with cancer cachexia [abstract]. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncology 1983;2:95.
- Chlebowski RT, Heber D, Richardson B, and et al. Influence of hydrazine sulfate (HS) on carbohydrate metabolism in cancer cachexia: a randomized, placebo controlled trial [abstract]. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 1982;1:59.
- Chlebowski, R. T. Critical evaluation of the role of nutritional support with chemotherapy. Cancer 1-1-1985;55(1 Suppl):268-272. View abstract.
- Chlebowski, R. T., Bulcavage, L., Grosvenor, M., Oktay, E., Block, J. B., Chlebowski, J. S., Ali, I., and Elashoff, R. Hydrazine sulfate influence on nutritional status and survival in non-small-cell lung cancer. J.Clin.Oncol. 1990;8(1):9-15. View abstract.
- Chlebowski, R. T., Heber, D., Richardson, B., and Block, J. B. Influence of hydrazine sulfate on abnormal carbohydrate metabolism in cancer patients with weight loss. Cancer Res. 1984;44(2):857-861. View abstract.
- Danova, L. A., Kondrat'ev, V. B., Gershanovich, M. L., and Filov, V. A. [Results of the use of hydrazine sulfate in lymphogranulomatosis]. Ter.Arkh. 1977;49(8):45-47. View abstract.
- De, S. K., Silverstein, R., and Andrews, G. K. Hydrazine sulfate protection against endotoxin lethality: analysis of effects on expression of hepatic cytokine genes and an acute-phase gene. Microb.Pathog. 1992;13(1):37-47. View abstract.
- Douglas, G. R., Gingerich, J. D., and Soper, L. M. Evidence for in vivo non-mutagenicity of the carcinogen hydrazine sulfate in target tissues of lacZ transgenic mice. Carcinogenesis 1995;16(4):801-804. View abstract.
- Filov, V. A. and Burova, T. M. [Gluconeogenesis during therapy of experimental tumors with hydrazine sulfate]. Biull.Eksp.Biol Med 1984;97(1):73-74. View abstract.
- Filov, V. A., Gershanovich, M. L., Danova, L. A., and Ivin, B. A. Experience of the treatment with Sehydrin (Hydrazine Sulfate, HS) in the advanced cancer patients. Invest New Drugs 1995;13(1):89-97. View abstract.
- Filov, V. A., Gershanovich, M. L., Ivin, B. A., Danova, L. A., Gurchin, F. A., Naryshkin, A. G., Leshchinskii, V. I., Zemskaia, A. G., Nikiforov, B. M., and Breivis, P. V. [Therapy of primary brain tumors with segidrin]. Vopr.Onkol. 1994;40(7-12):332-336. View abstract.
- Filov, V. A., Stukov, A. N., Blank, M. A., and Neishtadt, E. L. [Experimental data on the toxic action of hydrazine sulfate on the body and on a tumor]. Farmakol.Toksikol. 1978;41(2):203-205. View abstract.
- Chlebowski RT, Bulcavage L, Grosvenor M, et al. Hydrazine sulfate in cancer patients with weight loss. A placebo-controlled clinical experience. Cancer 1987;59:406-10. View abstract.
- Gershanovich ML, Danova LA, Ivin BA, Filov VA. Results of clinical study antitumor action of hydrazine sulfate. Nutr Cancer 1981;3:7-12.. View abstract.
- Hainer MI, Tsai N, Komura ST, Chiu CL. Fatal hepatorenal failure associated with hydrazine sulfate. Ann Intern Med 2000;133:877-80. View abstract.
- Herndon JE 2nd, Fleishman S, Kosty MP, Green MR. A longitudinal study of quality of life in advanced non-small cell lung cancer: Cancer and Leukemia Group B (CALGB) 8931. Control Clin Trials 1997;18:286-300. View abstract.
- Kaegi E. Unconventional therapies for cancer: 4. Hydrazine sulfate. Task Force on Alternative Therapies of the Canadian Breast Cancer Research Initiative. CMAJ 1998;158:1327-30. View abstract.
- Kosty MP, Fleishman SB, Herndon JE II, et al. Cisplatin, vinblastine, and hydrazine sulfate in advanced, non-small-cell lung cancer: a randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind phase III study of the cancer and leukemia Group B. J Clin Oncol 1994;12:1113-20. View abstract.
- Loprinzi CL, Goldberg RM, Burnham NL. Cancer-associated anorexia and cachexia. Implications for drug therapy. Drugs 1992;43:499-506. View abstract.
- Loprinzi CL, Goldberg RM, Su JQ, et al. Placebo-controlled trial of hydrazine sulfate in patients with newly diagnosed non-small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol 1994;12:1126-9. View abstract.
- Loprinzi CL, Kuross SA, O'Fallon JR, et al. Randomized, placebo-controlled evaluation of hydrazine sulfate in patients with advanced colorectal cancer. J Clin Oncol 1994;12:1121-5. View abstract.
- Miller LG, Panosian CB. Ataxia and slurred speech after artesunate treatment for falciparum malaria [letter]. N Engl J Med 1997;336:1328.
- Ochoa M Jr, Wittes RE, Krakoff IH. Trial of hydrazine sulfate (NSC-150014) in patients with cancer. Cancer Chemother Rep 1975;59:1151-4. View abstract.
- Sarich TC, Adams SP, Petricca G, Wright JM. Inhibition of isoniazid-induced hepatotoxicity in rabbits by pretreatment with an amidase inhibitor. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 1999;289:695-702. View abstract.
- Young DS. Effects of Drugs on Clinical Laboratory Tests 4th ed. Washington: AACC Press, 1995.
- Albano, E., Goria-Gatti, L., Clot, P., Jannone, A., and Tomasi, A. Possible role of free radical intermediates in hepatotoxicity of hydrazine derivatives. Toxicol Ind Health 1993;9(3):529-538. View abstract.
Have you ever purchased HYDRAZINE SULFATE?
Did you or will you purchase this product in-store or online?
Where did you or where do you plan to purchase this product?
Where did you or where do you plan to purchase this product?
What factors influenced or will influence your purchase? (check all that apply)
Where did you or where do you plan to purchase this product?
Do you buy vitamins online or instore?
What factors are most important to you? (check all that apply)