(3-beta)-3-hydroxyandrost-5-ene-7,17-dione; (3S,8R,9S,10R,13R,14S)-3-hydroxy-10,13-dimethyl-2,3,4,8,9,11,12,14,15,16-decahydro-1H-cyclopenta[a]phenanthrene-7,17-dione, 3-acetyl-7-oxo-dehydroepiandrosterone, 3-acetyl-7-oxo-DHEA, 3-beta-acetoxy-androst-5-ene-7,17-dione, 3-acetoxyandrost-5-ene-7,17-dione, 5-androsten-3-beta-17-one-DHEA, 5-androsten-3-beta-ol-7,17-dione, 7-Keto, 7-Keto Dehydroepiandrosterone, 7-Keto Déhydroépiandrostérone, 7-Keto DHEA, 7-Keto DHEA Acetate, 7-Keto-DHEA-THP, 7-ODA, 7-oxo-dehydroepiandrosterone, 7-oxo-dehydroepiandrosterone-3-acetate, 7-oxo-DHEA, 7-oxo-DHEA-acetate, 7-oxoprasterone, Acétate 7-Keto DHEA, DHEA acetate-7-one. <br/><br/>
Overview Information7-keto-DHEA is formed from dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) in the body. DHEA is a "parent hormone" produced by glands near the kidneys. But unlike DHEA, 7-keto-DHEA is not converted to steroid hormones such as androgen and estrogen. Taking 7-keto-DHEA by mouth or applying it to the skin does not increase the level of steroid hormones in the blood.
People take 7-keto-DHEA to speed up metabolism and heat production, which can promote weight loss. 7-keto-DHEA is also used to improve lean body mass and build muscle, increase the activity of the thyroid gland, boost the immune system, enhance memory, and slow aging. It is also used to treat depression, anxiety, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
How does it work?7-keto-DHEA is POSSIBLY SAFE when taken by mouth for up to 8 weeks. It might cause mild side effects such as nausea, dizziness, or low blood pressure in some people.
Special Precautions & Warnings:Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Not enough is known about the use of 7-keto-DHEA during pregnancy and breast-feeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.
Uses & Effectiveness
Insufficient Evidence for
- Promoting weight loss. Early research shows that taking 7-keto-DHEA along with exercise might help obese adults lose weight and fat.
- Improving lean body mass.
- Building muscle.
- Increasing activity of the thyroid gland.
- Boosting the immune system.
- Enhancing memory.
- Reducing signs of aging.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
- Other conditions.
We currently have no information for 7-KETO-DHEA Interactions.
- For weight loss: 100 mg twice daily has been used.
- 7-keto-DHEA patents. Google Patents: www.google.com/patents/ (accessed 10/17/16).
- Amato RJ, Hulin MW, Winsauer PJ. A comparison of dehydroepiandrosterone and 7-keto dehydroepiandrosterone with other drugs that modulate ethanol intake in rats responding under a multiple schedule. Behav Pharmacol 2012;23(3):250-61. View abstract.
- Bobyleva V, Bellei M, Kneer N, Lardy H. The effects of ergosteroid 7-oxo-dehydroepiandrosterone on mitochondrial membrane potential: possible relationship to thermogenesis. Arch Biochem Biophys 1997;341:122-8. View abstract.
- Colker CM, Torina GC, Swain MA, Kalman DS. Double-Blind Study Evaluating the Effects of Exercise Plus 3-Acetyl-7-oxo-dehydroepiandrosterone on Body Composition and the Endocrine System in Overweight Adults. Abstract presented at 2nd ASEP Annual Meeting, October 14-16, 1999, and published in Journal of Exercise Physiology online, Volume 2 Number 4 October 1999.
- Davidson M, Marwah A, Sawchuk RJ, et al. Safety and pharmacokinetic study with escalating doses of 3-acetyl-7-oxo-dehydroepiandrosterone in healthy male volunteers. Clin Invest Med 2000;23:300-10.. View abstract.
- Davidson MH, Weeks C, Lardy H, et al. Clinical Safety and Endocrine Effects of 7-KETO-DHEA. Abstract presented at: Experimental Biology 98, April 19-22, 1998, San Francisco, CA. Abstract obtained from Humanetics Corporation website.
- Hampl R, Sulcova J, Bilek R, Hill M. How short-term transdermal treatment of men with 7-oxo-dehydroepiandrosterone influences thyroid function. Physiol Res 2006;55:49-54. View abstract.
- Ihler G, Chami-Stemmann H. 7-oxo-DHEA and Raynaud's phenomenon. Medical Hypotheses 2003;60(3):391-7. View abstract.
- Kalman DS, Colker CM, Swain MA, et al. A randomized double-blind, placebo-controlled study of 3-acetyl-7-oxo-dehydroepiandrosterone in healthy overweight adults. Curr Ther Res 2000;61(7):435-42.
- Lardy H, Partridge B, Kneer N, Wei Y. Ergosteroids: induction of thermogenic enzymes in liver of rats treated with steroids derived from dehydroepiandrosterone. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 1995;92:6617-9. View abstract.
- Nelson R, Herron M, Weeks C, Lardy H. Dehydroepiandrosterone and 7-KETO-DHEA augment Interleukin 2 (IL2) Production by Human Lymphocytes In Vitro. Abstract presented at: The 5th Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections, February 1-5, 1998, Chicago, IL. Abstract obtained from Humanetics Corporation.
- Shi J, Schulze S, Lardy HA. The effect of 7-oxo-DHEA acetate on memory in young and old C57BL/6 mice. Steroids 2000;65:124-9. View abstract.
- Sulcova J, Hampl R, Hill M, Starka L, Novacek A. Delayed effects of short-term transdermal applications of 7-oxo-dehydroepiandrosterone on its metabolites, some hormonal steroids and relevant proteohormones in healthy male volunteers. Clin Chem Lab Med 2005;43(2):221-7. View abstract.
- Sulcova J, Hill M, Masek Z, et al. Effects of transdermal application of 7-oxo-DHEA on the levels of steroid hormones, gonadotropins and lipids in healthy men. Physiol Res 2001;50:9-18.. View abstract.
- US FDA. New Dietary Ingredients in Dietary Supplements - Background for Industry. www.fda.gov/Food/DietarySupplements/ucm109764.htm#new_din (accessed 10/16/16).
- Zenk JL, Frestedt JL, Kuskowski MA. HUM5007, a novel combination of thermogenic compounds, and 3-acetyl-7-oxo-dehydroepiandrosterone: each increases the resting metabolic rate of overweight adults. J Nutr Biochem 2007;18(9):629-34. View abstract.