Overview

Water hemlock is considered to be the most poisonous plant growing in North America. All parts of the water hemlock are toxic and can cause death in as little as 15 minutes.

Water hemlock grows in marshy, swampy areas of meadows; and along banks of streams, pools, and rivers. Accidental poisonings usually occur when water hemlock is mistaken for edible plants such as artichokes, celery, sweet potatoes, sweet anise, or wild parsnip.

Even though water hemlock is extremely poisonous, it is used as a medicine for migraineheadaches, painful menstruation, and worms in the intestines.

Some people apply water hemlock directly to the skin for redness and swelling (inflammation).

How does it work ?

Water hemlock contains ingredients that are poisonous and have many dangerous effects on the body.

View References

CONDITIONS OF USE AND IMPORTANT INFORMATION: This information is meant to supplement, not replace advice from your doctor or healthcare provider and is not meant to cover all possible uses, precautions, interactions or adverse effects. This information may not fit your specific health circumstances. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your doctor or other qualified health care provider because of something you have read on WebMD. You should always speak with your doctor or health care professional before you start, stop, or change any prescribed part of your health care plan or treatment and to determine what course of therapy is right for you.

This copyrighted material is provided by Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database Consumer Version. Information from this source is evidence-based and objective, and without commercial influence. For professional medical information on natural medicines, see Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database Professional Version.
© Therapeutic Research Faculty 2020.