Women's Health News
Women With PCOS at Higher Risk of Suicide Attempts
- Researchers Find Link Between PCOS and Midlife Cognitive Decline
February 1, 2024 — A common condition called polycystic ovary syndrome that causes irregular menstrual cycles has been linked to signs of early cognitive decline.
- More Plant-Based Protein Linked to Healthy Aging in Women
January 18, 2024 — Getting just a little more protein from plant sources than from animal sources was associated with higher odds of healthy aging among women, according to a large new study that spanned the decades from middle to older age.
- Women Pay Billions More in Out-of-Pocket Health Costs a Year
October 3, 2023 — The report focused on working women, who analysts found pay as much as $15.4 billion more a year than men in out-of-pocket health care expenses. This spans age brackets, holding true for women 19 to 64.
- Menstrual Discs Better Than Tampons, Pads for Heavy Periods: Study
August 8, 2023 — A new study shows that innovative new period products like discs can hold more than two times as much as the most absorbent tampon, while period underwear holds just a fraction of what a pad can absorb.
- Women Increasingly Dying of Alcohol-Related Causes
July 28, 2023 — Researchers have known for several years that the sex gap related to alcohol use and complications is narrowing. Women are drinking more, engaging in more high-risk drinking, and increasingly developing alcohol use disorder.
- U.S. Maternal Mortality Crisis Grows, Yet Deaths Seem Preventable
July 25, 2023 — Heart conditions are on a long list of reasons why the United States has the highest maternal mortality rate of any developed country. But death rates are three times higher in Black women. And the troubling irony: An estimated 80% of these deaths are preventable.
- Young Girls, Women Are at High Risk of Iron Deficiency: Study
June 28, 2023 — Nearly 40% of girls and young women in the U.S. may have iron deficiency, which can lead to fatigue and increase the risk of many health problems.
- After Tragedy of Stillbirth, She Set Out to Help Others
May 26, 2023 — Every year at least 21,000 babies are stillborn in the United States. That’s about one in every 175 births, according to the CDC. Elizabeth O'Donnell wants to see that number fall.
- How Doctors Can Care for Women Better
February 27, 2023 — A recent movement in medicine is pushing doctors to better understand how female patients are different from male patients.
- What's Behind Rise in Girls' Report of Sadness, Sexual Violence?
February 14, 2023 — Minority youth, as well as teens identifying as lesbian, gay, bisexual and questioning also frequently reported sadness, suicide risk, and sexual assault.