Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Depression Health Center

News Related to Depression

  1. Antidepressants, Kids: Measuring Risks

    March 6, 2006 -- Antidepressant use appears to be associated with a modest increase in suicidal thoughts and behaviors among children and teens, but the drugs may or may not increase actual suicide risk. Researchers with the FDA analyzed 24 clinical trials involving 4,582 pediatric patients taking o

    Read Full Article
  2. FDA OKs Patch to Treat Depression

    Feb. 28, 2006 -- The FDA has approved the first skin patch for use in treating major depression. The once-a-day patch, called Emsam, works by delivering selegiline, a monoamine oxidase inhibitor or MAOI, through the skin and into the bloodstream. Selegiline isn't a new drug. It was initially approve

    Read Full Article
  3. Shock Therapy: No Longer So Shocking

    Feb. 15, 2006 - Shocking news: Shock therapy for depression isn't evil. Shock therapy makes many of us -- and many mental health professionals -- think of Jack Nicholson being zapped into oblivion in the movie One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest. Even the real name for the treatment is scary. ECT: elect

    Read Full Article
  4. Pregnancy Antidepressants: Baby Risk

    Feb. 8, 2006 -- Babies whose mothers took antidepressant drugs in the second half of pregnancy are six times more likely to have a rare but dangerous lung ailment, a new study suggests. One study isn't proof. But it's strong evidence that taking SSRI antidepressants -- such as Prozac, Zoloft, and Pa

    Read Full Article
  5. Depression May Return During Pregnancy

    Jan. 31, 2006 -- Contrary to popular belief, pregnancy doesn't ward off depression, doctors report. "Pregnancy is not 'protective' with respect to relapse of major depression," write Lee Cohen, MD, and colleagues. Cohen works in Boston at Massachusetts General Hospital's psychiatry department. The f

    Read Full Article
  6. Exercise May Lift Cloud of Depression

    Jan. 20, 2006 -- Exercise may provide an immediate mood boost for people suffering from depression. Although previous studies have suggested that exercise programs can take weeks to improve depressive symptoms, a new study suggests that even a single workout can provide immediate benefits in lifting

    Read Full Article
  7. Fat Hormone May Counter Depression

    Jan. 17, 2006 -- Leptin, a hormone tied to body weight, may ease depression, a new study shows. The study included rats, not people, so it's not yet clear if leptin has an antidepressant effect on humans. The possibility is worth exploring, the researchers write in Proceedings of the National Academ

    Read Full Article
  8. Drugs, 'Shock Therapy' Beat Depression

    Jan. 12, 2006 - Some of the most maligned therapies for depression are also the most useful, say researchers whose review of depression treatments appears in the latest issue of The Lancet. The researchers concluded that electroconvulsive therapy, once known as "shock treatment," and antidepressant

    Read Full Article
  9. First Antidepressant Fails 70% of Time

    Jan. 4, 2006 - Antidepressant medication, all by itself, puts depression into remission for 30% of patients, a government-funded study shows. What about the other 70% of people with depression? And how long must the lucky 30% stay on medication? Stay tuned. The study is just starting to get interest

    Read Full Article
  10. Suicide Drops With Antidepressant Use

    Jan. 3, 2006 -- Concerns that antidepressant medications are associated with an increased risk of suicide are not borne out by new research involving more than 65,000 treated patients. Researchers reported that the risk of serious suicide attempts or death from suicide actually decreased in the week

    Read Full Article
Displaying 181 - 190 of 418 Articles << Prev Page 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 Next >>

Today on WebMD

contemplation
Differences between feeling depressed or blue.
depressed man
How well are you managing your symptoms?
 
depressed man sitting on hallway floor
Learn the truth about this serious illness.
Sad woman looking out of the window
Tips to stay the treatment course.
 
Woman taking pill
Article
Woman jogging outside
Feature
 
man screaming
Article
woman standing behind curtains
Article
 
Pet scan depression
Slideshow
antidepressants slideshow
Article
 
pill bottle
Article
Winding path
Article