sugar (hypoglycemia) occurs when the sugar (glucose) level in the blood drops
below what the body needs to function normally. Some pills for diabetes can
cause low blood sugar.
Even mild low blood sugar can affect the way you think and respond to things around you. And mild low blood sugar can quickly drop to a more dangerous level.
Diabetes: Dealing With Low Blood Sugar From Insulin
- Low blood sugar as a side effect of oral
diabetes medicines usually causes mild symptoms, such as sweating, shakiness,
- Taking too many of your diabetes pills in one day, not
eating enough food, or doing strenuous physical activity can cause your
blood sugar level to drop below your target range.
- If your blood sugar is low and you don't eat anything, it may
drop to a very low level. Keep some hard candy, raisins, or other quick sugar
foods with you at all times. Eat some at the first sign of low blood
- Test your blood sugar often so you do not have to guess when
it is low.
- Teach your friends and coworkers what to do if your
blood sugar is very low.
How to deal with low blood sugar