12 Days of Holiday Food Gifts
Give the gift of healthier edible goodies this season.
6. On the sixth day of Christmas, my FOODIE gave to me… 6 faux frying essentials.
This Faux Frying Gift Basket uses a brand spanking new nonstick frying pan
as the basket (item No. 1). The pan is filled with these 5 other faux frying
- A nonstick spatula to help "fry" food in your nonstick frying pan
- A silicon brush, for brushing canola oil lightly onto food or your nonstick
frying pan and bakeware.
- A can of canola cooking spray for lightly covering your food or pans.
- A small bottle of canola oil. Light frying often requires a small amount of
an oil that can handle higher temperature oven-frying and light
- A cookbook that contains recipes for lighter versions of "fried"
foods. Of course, I recommend my own book Fry Light, Fry Right, which is all
about having your favorite fried foods and eating light, too.
7. On the seventh day of Christmas my FOODIE gave to me … 7 festive food bars.
To all your sporty friends, give the gift of fast fuel. Assemble an
assortment of 7 of your favorite power bars, packaged with a new sports towel
and sports bottle, and maybe even a small workout bag. A box of 12 bars costs
about $15. Here are some suggested flavors:
From Clif Bar:
- Iced Gingerbread
- Caramel Apple Cobbler
- Spiced Pumpkin Pie (include 2 of these bars for your total of 7)
- Banana Nut
From Luna Bar:
- Peppermint Stick
- Chocolate Pecan Pie
You can find Clif and Luna bars at grocery stores and health food stores
across the country, or order online at: www.clifbar.com or www.lunabar.com
8. On the eighth day of Christmas my FOODIE gave to me … 8 Easy Cinnamon Rolls.
This bread machine recipe for lighter, higher-fiber cinnamon rolls makes two
cake pans filled with eight rolls each. They rise in the refrigerator overnight
and are ready to bake in the morning. You can either give them ready-to-rise,
ready-to-bake, or ready-to-eat -- it's your choice! The best part is that this
recipe makes one pan to keep and one pan to give.
Easy & Light Cinnamon Rolls
WebMD Weight Loss Clinic members: Journal 1 roll as 2 small
muffins OR 3 pieces of pancake, waffle, French toast