Guy's Guide to Grilling
Tips, tricks, and recipes for delicious, heart-healthy meals.
Mediterranean Grilled Arctic Char
A little lemon, a scattering of olives, and a few sprigs of oregano -- nothing more is needed to dress up the whole fish in this simple and heart-healthy Mediterranean recipe. Arctic char is loaded with omega-3 fatty acids, which excel at cardiovascular cleanup, lowering blood pressure, and slowing the growth of dangerous plaque in your arteries.
½ tsp finely grated fresh lemon zest
1½ tbsp fresh lemon juice
3 tbsp finely chopped fresh oregano plus
6 large sprigs
salt and pepper to taste
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 (3¼- to 3½-lb) cleaned whole -Arctic
char, bluefish, or salmon
2 tbsp olive oil
6 (¼-inch-thick) lemon slices
¼ cup pitted Calamata olives (1¼ oz) cut into slivers
1. Heat the grill to medium.
2. For the marinade: Whisk together zest, lemon juice, chopped oregano, and salt and pepper. Then add olive oil in a stream, whisking until all the ingredients are combined well.
3. Make 1-inch-long slits at 2-inch intervals down middle of fish on both sides with a sharp paring knife. Set fish in a glass serving dish and pour the marinade over it. Let the fish sit for 15 minutes, then turn it over and let it sit for 15 minutes more.
4. Just before cooking, lightly season the fish cavity with salt and pepper, then evenly distribute 3 lemon rounds and 3 oregano sprigs in the cavity. Close the cavity and then evenly arrange remaining 3 lemon rounds and 3 oregano sprigs on top of the fish and tie the fish closed with string at 2-inch intervals, securing lemon slices and oregano sprigs to fish.
1. Grill fish on lightly oiled grill rack, covered only if using gas grill, 15 minutes.
2. Turn fish over using a metal spatula and tongs and grill until just cooked through, about 15 minutes more.
3. Transfer fish to a large platter using two metal spatulas, then cut and discard string. Scatter the chopped olives over the fish and serve.
250 calories, 15 g fat (2.5 saturated fat), 80 mg cholesterol, 130 mg sodium, 0 g carbohydrate, 0 g fiber, 27 g protein. Calories from fat: 54%