Lose Weight, Gain Tons of Benefits
Taking off just 10% of your body weight can have a big impact on your health.
Focus on Health Not Underwear Models
The most successful dieters are those who focus on health, instead of a
figure on the scale, Katz says. He offers five simple tips to get you started
on the journey toward improved health:
- Your goal should be both to eat healthier meals and get regular physical
activity. Most people cannot lose weight by diet alone but need to balance
calories consumed with calories burned. Regular exercise also provides a wealth
of health benefits.
- Restrictive diets may work initially but usually fail over the long haul.
Forget about "dieting" and instead, think about strategies to satisfy
your hunger for fewer calories. Eating more fruits, vegetables, whole grains,
and lean protein can help manage your appetite.
- Be a role model to teach your family about healthier eating patterns and
lifestyles. There is strength in unity, and when you engage your family, you
will be improving their health as well as your own.
- Become more aware of the nutrition environment around you. Read food
labels, and stock your kitchen with nutritious foods so you'll have ingredients
on hand for healthy snacks and meals. Plan ahead and take nutritious food with
you when you're on the go so you'll be prepared when hunger strikes.
- Identify what led to your weight gain and address it. For example, if you
overeat because of stress, consider a stress management course. Develop a
strategy to address areas where you're vulnerable so you can set yourself up