Weight Loss & Obesity Medical Reference
Safe Workouts When You’re Overweight
- What To Know About Obesogens
Obesogens: learn about how chemicals may affect your ability to lose weight.
- What You Need to Know About the Thrive Diet
The Thrive diet is focused on eating raw, unprocessed food. Learn more about what it is, the risks, benefits, and how it can impact your health.
- What Is a Healthy Weight?
Think you might be obese or overweight? Learn the basics on finding out where you are, and how to get -- and stay -- where you want to be.
- Types of Dietary Fats
Not all fats are created equal. Learn which fats are good for you, and which ones to limit.
- What Health Conditions Are Linked to Obesity?
Maintaining a healthy weight not only makes you feel good -- it can literally save your life.
- Why Can't I Lose Weight?
A look at some of the sneaky reasons it's hard to drop pounds, like skipping breakfast or not getting enough sleep.
- What Happens to Fat When You Lose Weight?
Learn about burning fat, how fat is created, what it’s good for, how to lose it, and what happens to it.
- What Is Gastric Sleeve Weight Loss Surgery?
You've tried diets and exercise for years and still have a lot of weight to lose. Is gastric sleeve surgery a possibility? Find out about the risks, benefits, who's a good candidate for this procedure, and what you have to do afterward.
- What Your Doctor Is Trying to Tell You About Weight Loss
Your doctor said it’s time to lose weight, but you’ve still got questions. Here are answers.
- You Can Lose Weight, One Small Habit at a Time
Learn how to choose and use small, manageable habits to help you lose weight.
- Stop Tripping Yourself on Your Weight Loss Journey
Want to lose weight? WebMD offers you tips for reaching your goals.
- Your Weight Loss Checklist
Check out WebMD's checklist with steps for losing weight - and balancing your life.
- When You Need to Lose Weight for Your Heart
The No. 1 New Year's resolution is to lose weight. WebMD offers 10 tips for keeping your commitment to a smaller waistline.
WebMD looks at the safety and effectiveness of Hydroxycut, a group of dietary supplements sold as weight loss and fat reduction aids.
- What Is Set Point Weight?
Learn about set point weight, why you may regain weight after losing it, and how you may be able to keep weight off.
- What is Panniculectomy
Find out what panniculectomy surgery is, the risks involved, how the procedure is performed, and how long it takes to recover.
- Alli: Everything You Need to Know
WebMD explains how the weight loss drug orlistat, marketed as Alli and Xenical, works, and its possible side effects.
- Paying for Weight Loss Surgery
WebMD explains the cost of weight loss surgery, what is covered by insurance, and how to convince your insurance company to pay for weight loss surgery.
- Choosing a Type of Weight Loss Surgery
Get the facts on the various types of weight loss surgery and which type of bariatric surgery may be right for you.
- Atherosclerosis: What’s Weight Got to Do With It?
Extra weight contributes to atherosclerosis, the leading cause of death in the U.S. Fortunately, taking the weight off can slow down or prevent atherosclerosis.
- What Is Restrictive Surgery for Weight Loss?
Considering gastric banding surgery for weight loss? Read this first.
- The Facts About Weight Loss Surgery
Considering weight loss surgery? Get the facts to help you make an informed decision.
- What Is Gastric Bypass Surgery?
There are several types of weight loss surgery, from gastric banding to stomach stapling. Learn more about the various methods.
- What to Expect After Weight Loss Surgery
You expect to lose weight after weight loss surgery. You may also experience some side effects and health benefits, too. Learn about recovery and beyond.
- Pros and Cons of Weight Loss Surgery
Is weight loss surgery the obesity treatment for you? Learn the benefits and risks of bariatric surgery.
- How to Prepare for Weight Loss Surgery
Weight loss surgery is more than just gastric bypass. Find out about other options, and learn what to expect before surgery and the potential risks.
- Questions for Your Doctor About Weight Loss Surgery
If you're considering weight loss surgery, find out what questions you should ask your doctor.
- How Is Obesity Treated?
No obesity treatment works for everyone. But your doctor can help you find what works for you, including diet, exercise, medication, surgery, and therapy.
- Causes of Obesity
WebMD explains various causes of obesity, including diet, activity, medications, stress, socioeconomics, and more.
- Obesity: Symptoms, Causes, Treatment
WebMD explains obesity and how to take steps to lose weight.
- What Are Weight Cycling and Yo-Yo Dieting?
Yo-yo dieting and weight cycling is the repeated loss and regain of body weight. Find out if weight cycling and yo-yo dieting are harmful.
- Gastric Bypass Surgery
An overview of gastric bypass surgery for obesity.
- Restrictive Surgery for Weight Loss
WebMD explains weight loss surgery, including gastric banding and "stomach stapling."
- Long-Term Weight Loss: 5 Tips
Long-term weight loss is not an easy goal. But you can get started with these tips.
- Health Risks Linked to Obesity
Being overweight or obese puts you at risk for many serious health conditions, including diabetes, sleep apnea, and even cancer. Learn more from WebMD about diseases you can prevent by losing weight.
- Exercise and Weight Loss
Learn abouts the health benefits -- and weight loss opportunities -- of even the most mundane physical activities.
- Prescription Weight Loss Drugs
Pros and cons of prescription weight loss drugs.