Redbook's Holiday Cocktail Party Diet
With our smart just-for-the-holidays strategies, you can indulge now without regretting it later.
To avoid accidental eating, try these tricks:
- Brush your teeth right before to discourage mindless nibbling while cooking
or baking. "You won't be as tempted to sample foods when your breath tastes
like peppermint," says Newgent.
- Eat a small snack, like a cup of yogurt, 20 minutes before you start
cooking, says Newgent. This will send a signal to your brain that you're
- Make deals with yourself. "Recently I baked cookies with my nieces," says
Daelemans. "If we ate one scoop of dough, we allowed ourselves two baked
cookies. If we ate two scoops of dough, we were allowed only one baked
- Wear bleaching strips on your teeth. "You won't want or be able to nibble
when your teeth are otherwise occupied," says Newgent.
How bad can a bite be?
- Having two spoonfuls of chocolate-chip cookie dough: 64 calories, 3 grams
- Eating leftover pie scraps: 81 calories, 5 grams of fat
- Licking whipped cream off the beaters: 52 calories, 5 grams of fat
- Picking just one slice of cheese from the platter: 113 calories, 9 grams of
- Grabbing a handful of mixed nuts from the bowl: 168 calories, 15 grams of
Originally published on June 25, 2006
Related content on redbookmag.com