Resolved to Lose Weight? 10 Ways to Make It Work
6. Track your food intake and physical activity. The simple act of writing this information down has proven to be one of the most powerful weight loss tools.
7. Enjoy how good your healthier weight feels. Are you more energetic? Sleeping better? Has your doctor remarked on your improved blood pressure, blood sugar, or cholesterol level? Taking off even a few extra pounds can do wonders for your body and your health. When you're tempted to abandon your healthy eating plan, remember how good it feels being thinner.
8. Fit in fitness. Physical activity is essential to burning calories and losing weight and -- especially important this time of year -- relieving stress. If your schedule is crazy, take 10-minute breaks throughout the day to power up your jump rope, walk around the block, or whatever you can to fit in some fitness. Or strap on a pedometer and work on taking more steps throughout the day, wherever your day takes you.
9. Satisfy cravings. The best-laid plans can go astray when you're faced with insatiable cravings for sweets or other favorite foods. So satisfy your craving with a small portion of the food you desire. Eat it slowly, savor every bite, and then resist the urge to reach for more. Another option: Chew on a piece of sugarless gum. Studies have shown that this can be a calorie-free way to satisfy your urge for something sweet.
10. Weigh in regularly. Keeping track of your weight is another trick employed by successful losers. When you see the needle on your scale going in the wrong direction, nip it in the bud by increasing physical activity and watching portion sizes more carefully. Don't wait for your weight to spiral out of control. Make small changes as soon as you see the number increasing.