Next Slideshow Title
IMAGES PROVIDED BY:
1) Julie Toy / The Image Bank / Getty Images
2) Jules Frazier / Photodisc / Photolibrary
3) Lew Robertson / StockFood Creative / Getty Images
4) Barbara Lutterbeck / StockFood Creative / Getty Images
5) Getty Images
6) Frank Herholdt / Taxi / Getty Images
7) Jack Puccio / iStockphoto
8) Liz Van Steenburgh / iStockphoto
9) Stella - / fStop / Photolibrary
10) Georgina Palmer/ iStockphoto
11) Ben Beltman / iStockphoto
13) Getty Images
14) FoodCollection / Photolibrary
15) Catherine dée Auvil / iStockphoto
16) Getty Images
17) Nancy R Cohen / Digital Vision / Photolibrary
18) Jost Hiller / StockFood Creative / Getty Images
19) Heath Robbins / The Image Bank / Getty Images
20) Getty Images
21) Commercial Eye / Commercial Eye / Getty Images
22) © Envision / Corbis
23) Steven Peters / Stone / Getty Images
24) Steven Peters / Stone / Getty Images
American Heart Association: "Sodium Guidelines Set by the FDA," "Cutting Down on Salt."
CDC: "Sodium Q&A."
Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010.
MedlinePlus: "Sodium Bicarbonate."
USDA: "Lowering Salt in Your Diet," "Food Additive Status List," "Guidance for Industry: A Food Labeling Guide," "USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference."
USDA: U.S. Department of Agriculture and U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010. 7th Edition, Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office, December 2010.
Reviewed by Kathleen M. Zelman, MPH, RD, LD on October 29, 2015
This tool does not provide medical advice. See additional information.
THIS TOOL DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. It is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment and should not be relied on to make decisions about your health. Never ignore professional medical advice in seeking treatment because of something you have read on the WebMD Site. If you think you may have a medical emergency, immediately call your doctor or dial 911.
View our slideshows to learn more about your health.