Recipes Inspired by Supermarket Dishes
Here are some recipes inspired by some of the interesting prepared dishes I found in supermarkets near me:
Grilled Corn With Cilantro Butter
WebMD Weight Loss Clinic members: Journal as 1 cup vegetables with 1 tsp. fat
6 large ears of corn, husks removed
2 tablespoons whipped butter
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat barbecue to medium-high heat. Coat ears lightly with canola cooking spray.
- Grill corn until tender and charred in spots (about 10 minutes).
- Add the cilantro and whipped butter to a small cup and stir with fork to blend well.
- When corn is ready, remove the ears from grill and spread a teaspoon of cilantro butter all over the outside of each ear.
Yield: 6 servings
Per serving: 156 calories, 4 g protein, 30 g carbohydrate, 4 g fat, 1.8 g saturated fat, 1.2 g monounsaturated fat, 1 g polyunsaturated fat, 7 mg cholesterol, 3.5 g fiber, 47 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 21%.
WebMD Weight Loss Clinic members: Journal 2 tablespoons as 1 serving olives
This dish was inspired by an olive salad I sampled at a nearby supermarket's olive bar. It's wonderful on crackers or as a spread on sandwiches. It can also be used in most recipes calling for tapenade.
1/2 cup black olives, pitted
1/2 cup green olives, pitted
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon capers, drained and rinsed well
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped red bell pepper
1 teaspoon lemon zest, finely chopped
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper (add more to taste if desired)
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Add olives, garlic, capers, red pepper, and lemon zest to the bowl of a small food processor and press "chop" briefly. If you don't have a mini food processor, put the ingredients on a cutting board and chop well with a knife or chopper tool. Add the chopped mixture to a small bowl.
- Add pepper, mustard, and olive oil to the olive mixture and stir well to blend.
Yield: 1 cup olive salad (8 servings of 2 tablespoons each)
Per serving: 47 calories, 0.2 g protein, 1 g carbohydrate, 4.7 g fat, .6 g saturated fat, 3.7 g monounsaturated fat, 0.4 g polyunsaturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 0.3 g fiber, 276 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 90%.