Teens, Parents Underestimate Teen Suicide Risk
Study Shows Parents and Teens Believe Suicide Isn't a Problem in Their Communities
Screening for Suicide Risk continued...
If you suspect teenagers might be thinking about suicide, the AAP
- Act quickly. Suicide is preventable, but quick action is
- Ask about it, and don't be afraid to say the word "suicide." Using the word
may help at-risk teenagers understand that someone has heard their cries for
- Reassure teenagers that you love them, and make sure they know that no
matter how bad the problems seem, they can be worked out.
- Encourage them to talk about their feelings, and listen carefully. Don't
dismiss the problem or get angry.
- Remove all lethal weapons from your home, including guns, pills, kitchen
utensils, and ropes.
- Seek professional help. Ask your teenager's pediatrician for guidance.