Quick Tips: What to Do When You Crave Nicotine - Got a craving right now?
The cravings for nicotine
can be intense for the first few days when you stop smoking, but they will get
better with time. Here are some tips on how to cope:
- Use nicotine gum, lozenges, or an inhaler.
- Distract yourself. Stop what you are doing, and do something
- Remind yourself why you stopped smoking.
that most cravings do go away.
- Go for a walk.
- Take a bath.
- Call a
- Exercise. Go for a jog, a bike ride, or a
- Drink a glass of water.
- Suck on a piece of hard
- Listen to music.
- Chew on a toothpick or a piece
- Relax! Try deep-breathing exercises or yoga.
a puzzle or some other activity that uses your hands.
- Work in the
garden—pull weeds or rake leaves.
What else works?
Use the space below to add to the
list of things that help you get through a craving.
WebMD Medical Reference from Healthwise
July 06, 2011
This information is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor.
Healthwise disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on this
© 1995-2014 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.
Quick Tips: What to Do When You Crave Nicotine Topics