More Tips to Avoid Winter Weight Gain
Beyond limiting the most fattening foods, here are some more general expert tips for avoiding winter weight gain:
- Have plenty of low-sodium soups and stews that are broth- or tomato-based and contain lots of vegetables. Studies show that eating broth-based soup before a meal can fill you up and help you eat fewer calories during the meal.
- Heat up your food with spices and peppers to give it more pizzazz so you won't miss the high-fat ingredients.
- Use only lean meats in casseroles and other dishes. Even then, remember to keep portions reasonable.
- Drink plenty of water with your meals
- Include plenty of lean protein in your diet to keep you feeling full and satisfied
- Replace cream in recipes with fat-free half-and-half or low-fat milk
- Use 2 egg whites instead of each whole egg in recipes.
- Get plenty of natural sunlight, and stay fit to keep your metabolism perking.
- Keep your menus simple and reduce the number of choices to reduce the temptation to try everything, Tallmadge says.
- During the holiday season, "keep your routine as normal as possible, and if you do splurge, just get right back on track so Thanksgiving dinner does not extend all the way to New Year's Day," says Hurley.