Try the following home treatment to help manage your menstrual cramps:
- Use heat, such as hot water bottles, heating pads, or hot baths, to relax tense muscles and relieve cramping. Be careful not to burn yourself.
- Drink herbal teas, such as chamomile, mint, raspberry, and blackberry, which may help soothe tense muscles and anxious moods.
- Exercise. Regular workouts decrease the severity of cramps. For more information, see the topic Fitness.
- Empty your bladder as soon as you have the urge to urinate.
|Try a nonprescription medicine to help treat your fever or pain:|
|Be sure to follow these safety tips when you use a nonprescription medicine:|
Symptoms to watch for during home treatment
Call your doctor if any of the following occur during home treatment:
- You become pregnant.
- Pain is getting worse.
- Menstrual cramps are lasting longer than your period.
- Other symptoms develop, such as fever.
- Symptoms become more severe or frequent.