Since you were recently diagnosed with bipolar disorder, ask your doctor these questions at your next visit.
1. What are the chances my children or other family members can inherit bipolar disorder?
2. What’s the difference between bipolar I and bipolar II disorder? Which do I have?
3. How do I decide which medications are most helpful for my condition and how do they work?
4. What should I do if I forget to take any of my medications for bipolar disorder?
5. What are the major warning signs that I could be developing mania or hypomania?
6. What side effects are most common with the medicines I am taking and how are the side effects managed if they occur?
7. How can stress and irregular sleep patterns effect my illness?
8. What are the risks and benefits of taking anti-depressants for bipolar depression?
9. Will I need blood tests to monitor my medicines and if so, how often?