Bipolar Disorder Medical Reference
Is It Sadness or Medication Issues?
- Treatment Adherence with Bipolar Depression
It’s not easy to stick with your bipolar treatment plan. But it’s important to avoid the low of depression and the high of mania.
- What to Expect From Long-Term Injections for Bipolar 1
An overview of what to expect when you take extended-release injections for bipolar 1, including frequency of injections, side effects, and more.
- Are Extended-Release Injections Right for Me?
Are extended-release injections the right treatment for your bipolar disorder 1? Find out the pros and cons of this treatment.
- How Long-Term Injections Treat Bipolar 1
Extended-release injections treat bipolar 1 in slow-release form. Learn how these meds work in your body.
- Finding a Lifeline: Support Groups
Bipolar disorder support groups may help you stay on track with lifestyle changes and medication. Learn what’s out there and how to get involved.
- Can a Dedicated Routine Help Prevent Bipolar Depressive Episodes?
When you live with bipolar disorder, your body’s natural rhythms can be easily thrown off course. Learn how a consistent routine can help manage bipolar depression.
- Bipolar Depression vs. Major Depressive Disorder
Bipolar depression and major depressive disorder episodes can often look the same. Find out what’s different between the two and how treatments vary.
- What to Know About Lithium Toxicity
What causes lithium toxicity? Learn about the signs of Toxicity and when to see your doctor.
- Long-Term Effects of Bipolar Disorder
Learn more about how bipolar disorder and treatment affect you over time.
- Bipolar Disorder and Weight Gain
The medications you take for bipolar disorder can sometimes lead to weight gain. Learn how to manage this side effect.
- What to Know About Bipolar Disorder and Empathy
If you have bipolar disorder, you may sometimes find it hard to read other people’s faces and to connect with them. Here’s what you should know about how this mental illness can affect empathy.
- How to Deal With Mania and Manic Episodes
Find out how to recognize the warning signs of manic episodes and what to do to prevent and manage them.
- How Bipolar Disorder Affects Sexual Health
Find out how bipolar disorder and certain medications used to treat it can affect your sex life.
- What Is Dysphoric Mania?
Some people with bipolar disorder have symptoms of depression and mania at the same time. That's called dysphoric mania. Learn what it looks like, and what to do when you have it.
- Alternative Therapies for Bipolar Disorder
Medication and psychotherapy are often the first treatments for bipolar disorder. But yoga, diet, exercise, and other alternative therapies may ease your symptoms of depression and even mania.
- The History of Bipolar Disorder
The earliest known mention of bipolar disorder as a mental illness dates back to Hippocrates and Plato, who documented extreme moods such as depression and mania. WebMD explains how our understanding of the mood disorder has changed through the centuries.
- Bipolar Disorder Myths and Facts
If you have bipolar disorder, it's important to be clear-eyed about what the disease is and how it affects you. Learn how to separate fact from fiction for an illness that's often shrouded in myth.
- Depression in Bipolar Disorder: What You Can Do
Low periods are part of bipolar disorder. Learn how to recognize depression and how to get through it.
- Bipolar Disorder or Depression?
Bipolar disorder and depression might seem similar, but there are important differences. Find out how to sort it out and stay healthy.
- Are My Mood Swings Normal?
It's not unusual for your mood to go from low to high -- unless the changes are extreme. Find out what might be causing your ups and downs and what you can do.
- Is It Bipolar Disorder or Schizophrenia?
Bipolar disorder and schizophrenia can sometimes be hard to tell apart. Learn the symptoms, causes, and treatments of each to see how they're different.
- Women With Bipolar Disorder
WebMD describes the unique concerns for women with bipolar disorder, including treatment of bipolar disorder during pregnancy.
- Bipolar Disorder and Sleep Problems
Getting adequate sleep if you have bipolar disorder can be challenging. WebMD offers tips to help you get the rest you need.
- What Is the Bipolar Spectrum?
WebMD explains the bipolar spectrum, what it means, and how bipolar is categorized.
- Bipolar Disorder in Pregnancy
WebMD explains the current thinking about bipolar disorder and pregnancy and the effect of medications on your and your baby's health.
- Bipolar Disorder Resources
The Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance web site provides timely information on depression, anxiety, and bipolar disorder, and explains how doctors screen for these conditions.
- Bipolar Disorder Supplements
WebMD explains the risks and possible benefits of using dietary supplements for bipolar disorder.
- Treating Bipolar Depression
Learn more from the experts at WebMD about current drug and nondrug treatment options for bipolar disorder.
- Bipolar Disorder and Self-Injury
Self-injuring can be a symptom of bipolar disorder. WebMD explains the connection.
- Bipolar Disorder: Who’s at Risk?
Are you at risk for bipolar disorder? Learn more from the experts at WebMD about the roles genetics and environment play in developing this mental illness.
- Bipolar Disorder Medication, Herbs, and Supplements
If you have bipolar disorder, some herbs and supplements may interact with your bipolar medication. WebMD explains.
- Managing Bipolar Disorder at Work
If you have bipolar disorder, you can learn to manage it on the job and keep up your work performance with these helpful tips.
- Bipolar Disorder and Foods to Avoid
WebMD examines the foods that can help or create obstacles for people with bipolar disorder.
- Bipolar Disorder
Get the basics about bipolar disorder, including causes, diagnosis, symptoms, and treatment, from the experts at WebMD.
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder
WebMD explains the symptoms, treatments, and risks associated with rapid cycling bipolar disorder.
- Bipolar Episodes With Mixed Features
WebMD explains the symptoms, treatments, and risks associated with mixed bipolar disorder.
- Cyclothymia (Cyclothymic Disorder)
WebMD explains cyclothymia, also called cyclothymic disorder, and how it differs from bipolar disorder. Plus, treatments, symptoms, and complications of living with cylothymia.
- Bipolar II Disorder
WebMD explains bipolar II disorder – also known as manic depression. Plus, symptoms, treatments, and how bipolar II is different from other types of bipolar disorder.
- Bipolar I Disorder
WebMD explains the symptoms and treatments of bipolar I disorder, and how the condition differs from other types of bipolar disorder.
- Warning Signs and Symptoms of Bipolar Disorder
WebMD examines the less common signs and red flags that may signify bipolar disorder, why bipolar can be so hard to diagnose, along with symptoms and signs of bipolar in teenagers.
- 10 Questions to Ask Doctor About Bipolar Disorder
WebMD offers 10 questions to ask your doctor if you've been diagnosed with bipolar disorder.
- What Are the Treatments for Bipolar Mania?
Learn more from WebMD about various drug and nondrug treatments for mania in people who suffer from bipolar disorder.
- SSRI Antidepressants for Bipolar Disorder
WebMD explains how antidepressants and other drugs are combined to treat bipolar disorder I – and what their side effects may be.
- Antipsychotic Medication for Bipolar Disorder
Learn more from the experts at WebMD about new antipsychotic medications (and older ones) that are effective in treating bipolar disorder.
- Maintenance Treatment for Bipolar Disorder
Many people with bipolar disorder require maintenance therapy. Learn more about the drugs that are used to prevent mania and depression.
- Psychotherapy for Bipolar Disorder
Talk therapy can be effective for people with bipolar disorder. Learn more from WebMD about different models of psychotherapy and how they address bipolar symptoms.
- Treatments for Bipolar Disorder
An overview of the best treatment options for bipolar disorder.
- Bipolar Disorder Treatment and Support
Learn more from WebMD about talk therapy and medication for the treatment of bipolar disorder.
- Types of Bipolar Disorder
Learn about the types of bipolar disorder, including seasonal bipolar and bipolar disorder with mixed features.