Oral Contraceptives/Select Cephalosporin Interactions
This information is generalized and not intended as specific medical advice. Consult your healthcare professional before taking or discontinuing any drug or commencing any course of treatment.
Moderate. These medicines may cause some risk when taken together. Contact your healthcare professional (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) for more information.
How the interaction occurs:
When these two medicines are taken together, the antibiotic medicine may alter the way your body processes the birth control pill.
What might happen:
The effect of your birth control pills may decrease and cause breakthrough bleeding, spotting, or even unintended pregnancy.
What you should do about this interaction:
General consensus is that a backup method of birth control is not needed while taking this antibiotic. If you have questions or concerns, discuss them with your healthcare professional (e.g. doctor or pharmacist).Your healthcare professionals may already be aware of this interaction and may be monitoring you for it. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with them first.
- 1.Back DJ, Breckenridge AM, Crawford FE, MacIver M, Orme ML, Rowe PH. Interindividual variation and drug interactions with hormonal steroid contraceptives. Drugs 1981 Jan;21(1):46-61.
- 2.DeSano EA Jr, Hurley SC. Possible interactions of antihistamines and antibiotics with oral contraceptive effectiveness. Fertil Steril 1982 Jun; 37(6):853-4.
- 3.Bainton R. Interaction between antibiotic therapy and contraceptive medication. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 1986 May;61(5):453-5.
- 4.Silber TJ. Apparent oral contraceptive failure associated with antibiotic administration. J Adolesc Health Care 1983 Dec;4(4):287-9.
- 5.True RJ. Interactions between antibiotics and oral contraceptives. JAMA 1982 Mar 12;247(10):1408.
- 6.Rubin DF. Antibiotics and oral contraceptives. Arch Dermatol 1981 Apr; 117(4):189.
- 7.Tikkanen MJ, Adlercreutz H, Pulkkinen MO. Effects of antibiotics on oestrogen metabolism. Br Med J 1973 May 12;2(5862):369.
- 8.Adlercreutz H, Pulkkinen MO, Hamalainen EK, Korpela JT. Studies on the role of intestinal bacteria in metabolism of synthetic and natural steroid hormones. J Steroid Biochem 1984 Jan;20(1):217-29.
- 9.Zinacef (cefuroxime) US prescribing information. GlaxoSmithKline July, 2007.
- 10.Ceftin (cefuroxime axetil) US prescribing information. GlaxoSmithKline January, 2010.
- 11.Faculty of Sexual and Reproductive Healthcare Clinical Effectiveness Unit. Clinical guidance drug interactions with hormonal contraception. January, 2011.
- 12.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. U.S. Medical Eligibility Criteria for Contraceptive Use, 2010. MMWR Early Release 2010;59:1-86.