What should I Know Regarding Pregnancy, Nursing and Administering Risperdal to Children or the Elderly?
If you are PREGNANT
- FDB Only When Necessary: NON-TERATOGENIC COMPLICATIONS (RESP, GI,CNS) WITH EXPOSURE DURING 3RD TRIMESTER
If you are NURSING
- Precaution: LIMITED DATA SUGGEST LOW LEVELS EXCRETED W/NO KNOW ADVERSE EFFECT IN INFANT
If you are an adult over 60
- management or monitoring precaution: Neuro/Psych-Higher risk of tardive dyskinesia in the elderly. May cause sedation, worsen cognitive impairment and increase fall risk. Increased risk of death in senile dementia precludes longer term use. Limit use to short term management of aggression and psychotic symptoms in Alzheimer's. Maximum of 2mg/day. Cardiovascular-May cause orthostatic hypotension. Gastrointestinal-May cause or worsen pre-existing constipation. Renal-Requires careful titration with renal impairment.
Giving Risperdal to a child under 12
- management or monitoring precaution: Rare risk of tardive dyskinesia, risk of hyperglycemia, weight gain, hyperlipidemia, hyperprolactinemia, somnolence. Unknown long-term effects on growth and sexual maturation.
- management or monitoring precaution: Safety and efficacy not established age < 5 years. Unknown effects on growth, development. Risk of weight gain, cardiometabolic abnormalities.
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.