Heart Failure Medical Reference
You Are Your Best Advocate When Managing Heart Failure
- Heart Failure Hits Black and Hispanic Communities Harder
Why heart failure affects Black and Hispanic populations, specifically Black women, differently than other ethnicities.
- Early Heart Failure Diagnosis Is Key
If you’re Black or Hispanic, you’re at higher risk of heart failure. Finding out early can help you find the right treatments.
- Heart-Healthy Diet and Exercise for Minorities
What unique concerns do Black and Hispanic people living with heart failure have regarding diet and exercise?
- How to Ease Symptoms of Heart Failure
Get back to feeling your best with these tips.
- Take The Team Approach to Heart Failure
Treating heart failure involves doctors and other health care workers from many specialties. Here’s who you’ll need.
- Answers to Common Questions About Heart Failure
Can I drive? Can I have sex? Here’s what to know about what’s safe, what’s not, and when to check with your doctor.
- Stem Cells for Heart Failure Treatment
Is stem cell therapy the new frontier for treating heart failure? Explore the latest science moving into hospitals.
- Medications That Can Cause Heart Failure
Common medications can cause heart failure, a condition where your heart doesn’t pump blood as well as it should. Here’s what you need to know to protect your heart.
- What Heart Failure Looks Like in Women
Heart failure strikes both men and women, but not always the same way. Knowing the differences could help you get diagnosed and treated early.
- Can a Drop in Blood Pressure Signal Heart Failure?
Dizziness when you stand up may be a sign of heart failure. How are the two linked, and when should you be concerned?
- What Conditions Often Go With Heart Failure?
Heart failure rarely occurs by itself. What conditions commonly go with it?
- Difference Between Heart Failure and Heart Attack
Spotting the differences between heart attacks and heart failure.
- Myths and Facts About Heart Failure and AFib
Find out more about the common myths and facts around two heart conditions -- heart failure and atrial fibrillation (AFib).
- What Leads to Heart Failure?
If you're concerned you might be at risk for heart failure, find out more about what causes it so you can take steps to prevent it.
- Congestive Heart Failure: What Happens?
Find out what happens to your body when you have congestive heart failure.
- What Problems Can Heart Failure Cause?
Heart failure can affect your whole body, including your liver, kidneys, and lungs. Learn about the complications heart failure can cause and how to avoid them.
- How Does Your Body Try to Make Up for Heart Failure?
When your heart can't pump strongly enough, what does your body do to try to make up for having less oxygen?
- How Are Heart Failure and Sleep Related?
It's definitely a two-way street. With heart failure, you're likely to have sleep troubles. Treating sleep apnea and insomnia may ease the burden on your heart.
- What Is Cardiac Cachexia?
This severe complication of heart failure is also called body wasting. Learn about the symptoms and treatment.
- What Is Systolic Heart Failure?
In systolic heart failure, the left ventricle becomes weak and can't contract and work the way it should. There's no cure, but you can make lifestyle changes to help treat it.
- What Is High-Output Heart Failure?
With high-output heart failure, the heart is pumping a normal amount of blood, but it's still not enough to help the body work the way it should.
- What Is Diastolic Heart Failure?
What is diastolic heart failure? Is there a cure? How can you make your life better if you have it?
- What Is Oxygen Therapy for Heart Failure?
When you have heart failure, oxygen therapy can help your body get the oxygen you need. Learn what’s involved with oxygen therapy and when you might need it.
- What Is Heart Failure?
The term "heart failure" might sound like the heart is about to stop working. But it means something else.
- Signs of End-Stage Heart Failure
Could you have end-stage or advanced heart failure? Learn to spot the signs and symptoms.
- Treatment Options for End-Stage Heart Failure
Are there treatments for end-stage heart failure? How do they work?
- How to Avoid Triggers of Sudden Heart Failure
Find out how you can keep your heart failure symptoms from suddenly getting worse.
- 10 Ways to Lower Your Risk of Heart Failure
Find out how a healthy diet, exercise, weight control, and other healthy habits can reduce your chances of getting heart failure.
- Heart Failure: Am I at Risk, and Can I Prevent It?
Understanding the risks and causes of heart failure can help you prevent the condition and live a longer, more active life.
- What Is Right-side Heart Failure?
If your heart’s working harder than it has to, you could be at risk for right-side heart failure. Find out what causes it, what the symptoms are, and how to treat it.
- What Are ICDs, and Do I Need One for Heart Failure?
If you have an abnormal heartbeat, your doctor may recommend an implantable cardioverter defibrillator, or ICD.
- Heart Failure: Signs Your Treatment Isn’t Working
With heart failure, even if you're a model patient, you need to watch for new or returning symptoms. Here are seven things to tell your doctor about.
- What Are LVADs for Heart Failure?
An LVAD can keep your heart pumping while you wait for a transplant or heal from heart surgery. Here's what to expect if you get an LVAD.
- Heart Failure and Rehab
Cardiac rehabilitation is an important part of heart failure treatment and recovery. Learn the different phases and what to expect at each one.
- Why Is It Hard for Me to Breathe?
Find out some of the reasons your chest may feel heavy or tight, including heart failure, pneumonia, COPD, and asthma.
- What Is Edema?
"Edema" is the medical word for swelling. Many conditions can cause it.
- What Is Heart Failure?
WebMD explains the stages of heart failure and treatments used for each.
- Heart Failure Treatment
Learn about treatments for heart failure, along with lifestyle changes to manage the condition.
- Heart Failure Treatment by Stage
WebMD explains the Stages of Heart Failure, including lifestyle and treatment guidelines.
- Heart Failure and the Echocardiogram
Learn more about echocardiograms and how they're used in the diagnosis of heart failure.
- 10 Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Heart Failure
If you've been diagnosed with heart failure, you might want to ask your doctor these questions.
- Heart Failure and Biventricular Pacemakers
WebMD explains when and how a biventricular pacemaker is used as a treatment for heart failure.
- Understanding Heart Failure -- Symptoms
Learn about the symptoms of heart failure from the experts at WebMD.
- Understanding Heart Failure -- the Basics
WebMD experts provide the basics on heart failure.
- Heart Failure Treatment and Diagnosis
WebMD's guide to the diagnosis and treatment of heart failure.
- Heart Failure and the BNP Blood Test
If you have heart failure, you may have heard of a BNP blood test. But what is it?
- Heart Failure and Stress Management
If you have heart failure, stress management is an important topic. Find out what it may be able to do for you and, more importantly, how to do it.
- When to Call the Doctor About Your Heart Failure
If you have heart failure and get any of these symptoms, give your doctor a call.
- How to Monitor Your Heart Failure
These tips can help you monitor your heart failure and track your treatment plan.