Next Slideshow Title
IMAGES PROVIDED BY:
1) AtomStudios / Thinkstock Photos
2) gpointstudio / Thinkstock Photos
3) monkeybusinessimages / Thinkstock Photos
4) Milkos / Thinkstock Photos
5) Luis Galvez / Unsplash
6) Jacob Ammentorp Lund / Thinkstock Photos
7) Solovyova / Thinkstock Photos
8) Tero Vesalainen / Thinkstock Photos
9) Purestock / Thinkstock Photos
10) SamuelBrownNG / ThinkstockPhotos
11) kuarmungadd / Thinkstock Photos
12) skyNext / Thinkstock Photos
13) DGLimages / Thinkstock Photos
14) Granger Wootz / Thinkstock Photos
CDC: “Coping with a Traumatic Event,” “Helping Patients Cope with a Traumatic Event.”
American Psychiatric Association: “Coping After Disaster, Trauma.”
University of Notre Dame: “Taking Care of Yourself After a Traumatic Event.”
National Alliance on Mental Illness: “Find Support.”
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration: “Tips for Survivors of a Disaster or Traumatic Event,” “Tips for College Students: After a Disaster or Other Trauma,” Trauma-Informed Care in Behavioral Health Sciences, 2014.
National Center for Victims of Crime: “The Trauma of Victimization.”
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism: “The Link Between Stress and Alcohol.”
National Institute of Mental Health: “Post-traumatic Stress Disorder.”
Mayo Clinic: “Meditation: A simple, fast way to reduce stress.”
Seery, M. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 2010.
Reviewed by Arefa Cassoobhoy, MD, MPH on November 04, 2020
This tool does not provide medical advice. See additional information.
THIS TOOL DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. It is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment and should not be relied on to make decisions about your health. Never ignore professional medical advice in seeking treatment because of something you have read on the WebMD Site. If you think you may have a medical emergency, immediately call your doctor or dial 911.
View our slideshows to learn more about your health.