1H-Indole-3-methanol, 1H-indol-3ylmethanol, 3-Hydroxymethyl Indole, 3 Hydroxymethyl Indole, I3C, Indole 3 Carbinol, 3-(hydroxymethyl), 3-(hydroxyméthyl), 3 (hydroxymethyl) Indole, 3-Indolylcarbinol, 3 Indolylcarbinol, 3-Indolylmethanol, 3 Indolylmethanol, Indole-3-Carbinol, Indinole, Indole, Indole 3 Carbinol, Indole-3-methanol, Indole-3-méthanol.<br/><br/>
Overview InformationIndole-3-carbinol is formed from a substance called glucobrassicin found in vegetables such as broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, collards, cauliflower, kale, mustard greens, turnips, and rutabagas. Indole-3-carbinol is formed when these vegetables are cut, chewed or cooked. It can also be produced in the laboratory.
People use indole-3-carbinol for conditions such as cancer prevention, systemic lupus erythematosus, tumors inside the respiratory tract, and many other conditions, but there is no good scientific evidence to support these uses.
How does it work?Researchers are interested in indole-3-carbinol for cancer prevention, particularly breast, cervical and endometrial, and colorectal cancer. Their reason is that diets with higher amounts of fruit and vegetable consumption are associated with a decreased risk of developing cancer. Researchers suspect indole-3-carbinol is one of several vegetable components that might protect against cancer.
Uses & Effectiveness
Insufficient Evidence for
- Abnormal development and growth of cells of the cervix (cervical dysplasia). Early research shows that taking indole-3-carbinol by mouth helps treat cervical dysplasia.
- Ovarian cancer. Early research shows that taking indole-3-carbinol along with standard chemotherapy and surgery allows women with ovarian cancer to live longer, and increases the time that they stay cancer-free.
- Recurrent respiratory papillomatosis. There is some evidence that long-term use of indole-3-carbinol might reduce tumor (papilloma) growth in people with recurrent respiratory papillomatosis.
- Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE). Early research shows that taking indole-3-carbinol by mouth does not significantly improve symptoms of systemic lupus erythematosus.
- Vulvar intraepithelial neoplasia (VIN). . VIN is a precancerous condition of the vulva. Early research shows that taking indole-3-carbinol by mouth might reduce the size of lesions and improve symptoms in people with this condition.
- Preventing breast cancer, colon cancer, and other types of cancer.
- Other conditions.
Side Effects & SafetyIndole-3-carbinol is POSSIBLY SAFE for most people when taken by mouth as a medicine under proper medical supervision. Doses up to 400 mg daily have been used safely for 3-76 months. It can cause side effects such as skin rashes and diarrhea.
In higher doses, indole-3-carbinol can cause balance problems, tremor, and nausea.
Special Precautions & Warnings:Pregnancy and breast-feeding: There is not enough reliable information about the safety of taking indole-3-carbinol if you are pregnant or breast-feeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.
Children: Indole-3-carbinol is POSSIBLY SAFE for most people when taken by mouth as a medicine under proper medical supervision. Doses of 6-17 mg/kg body weight have been safely used in children and teenagers for 12-76 months.
Bleeding conditions: Indole-3-carbinol might slow blood clotting. In theory, taking indole-3-carbinol might increase the risk of bleeding in people with bleeding disorders.
Surgery: Indole-3-carbinol might slow blood clotting. In theory, taking indole-3-carbinol might cause bleeding complications during surgery. Stop taking indole-3-carbinol at least 2 weeks before surgery.
Be cautious with this combination
Medications changed by the liver (Cytochrome P450 1A2 (CYP1A2) substrates) interacts with INDOLE-3-CARBINOL
Some medications are changed and broken down by the liver.<br/><br/> Indole-3-carbinol might increase how quickly the liver breaks down some medications. Taking indole-3-carbinol along with some medications that are changed by the liver can decrease the effectiveness of some medications. Before taking indole-3-carbinol talk to your healthcare provider if you take any medications that are changed by the liver.<br/><br/> Some of these medications that are changed by the liver include clozapine (Clozaril), cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril), fluvoxamine (Luvox), haloperidol (Haldol), imipramine (Tofranil), mexiletine (Mexitil), olanzapine (Zyprexa), pentazocine (Talwin), propranolol (Inderal), tacrine (Cognex), theophylline, zileuton (Zyflo), zolmitriptan (Zomig), and others.
The appropriate dose of indole-3-carbinol depends on several factors such as the user's age, health, and several other conditions. At this time there is not enough scientific information to determine an appropriate range of doses for indole-3-carbinol. Keep in mind that natural products are not always necessarily safe and dosages can be important. Be sure to follow relevant directions on product labels and consult your pharmacist or physician or other healthcare professional before using.
- Pence BC, Buddingh F, Yang SP. Multiple dietary factors in the enhancement of dimethylhydrazine carcinogenesis: main effect of indole-3-carbinol. J Natl Cancer Inst 1986;77:269-76. View abstract.
- Reed GA, Peterson KS, Smith HJ, et al. A phase I study of indole-3-carbinol in women: tolerability and effects. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2005;14:1953-60. View abstract.
- Rosen CA, Bryson PC. Indole-3-carbinol for recurrent respiratory papillomatosis: long-term results. J Voice 2004;18:248-53. View abstract.
- Rosen CA, Woodson GE, Thompson JW, et al. Preliminary results of the use of indole-3-carbinol for recurrent respiratory papillomatosis. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 1998;118:810-5. View abstract.
- Srivastava B, Shukla Y. Antitumour promoting activity of indole-3-carbinol in mouse skin carcinogenesis. Cancer Lett 1998;134:91-5. View abstract.
- Telang NT, Katdare M, Bradlow HL, et al. Inhibition of proliferation and modulation of estradiol metabolism: novel mechanisms for breast cancer prevention by the phytochemical indole-3-carbinol. Proc Soc Exp Biol Med 1997;216:246-52. View abstract.
- Tutelyan VA, Trusov NV, Guseva GV, et al. Indole-3-carbinol induction of CYP1A1, CYP1A2, and CYP3A1 activity and gene expression in rat liver under conditions of different fat content in the diet. Bull Exp Biol Med 2012;154(2):250-4. View abstract.
- Weng JR; Tsai CH; Kulp SK; Chen CS. Indole-3-carbinol as a chemopreventive and anti-cancer agent. Cancer Letters 2008;262(2):153-63. View abstract.
- Wong GY, Bradlow L, Sepkovic D, et al. Dose-ranging study of indole-3-carbinol for breast cancer prevention. J Cell Biochem Suppl 1997;28-29:111-6. View abstract.
- Yu L, Gao B, Li Y, Wang TTY, Luo Y, Wang J, Yu LL. Home food preparation techniques impacted the availability of natural antioxidants and bioactivities in kale and broccoli. Food Funct. 2018;9(1):585-593. View abstract.
- Yuan F, Chen DZ, Liu K, et al. Anti-estrogenic activities of indole-3-carbinol in cervical cells: implication for prevention of cervical cancer. Anticancer Res 1999;19:1673-80. View abstract.
- Kim, Y. S. and Milner, J. A. Targets for indole-3-carbinol in cancer prevention. J.Nutr.Biochem. 2005;16(2):65-73. View abstract.
- Rogan, E. G. The natural chemopreventive compound indole-3-carbinol: state of the science. In Vivo 2006;20(2):221-228. View abstract.
- Anon. Broccoli compound inhibits HSV. AIDS Patient Care STDS 2003;17:609. View abstract.
- Anon. Indole-3-carbinol. Monograph. Alternative Medicine Review 2005;10(4):337-42. View abstract.
- Bailey GS, Dashwood RH, Fong AT, et al. Modulation of mycotoxin and nitrosamine carcinogenesis by indole-3-carbinol: quantitative analysis of inhibition versus promotion. IARC Sci Publ 1991;105:275-80. View abstract.
- Balk JL. Indole-3-carbinol for cancer prevention. Altern Med Alert 2000; 3:105-7.
- Bell MC, Crowley-Nowick P, Bradlow HL, et al. Placebo-controlled trial of indole-3-carbinol in the treatment of CIN. Gynecol Oncol 2000;78:123-9. View abstract.
- Bradlow HL, Michnovicz J, Telang NT, Osborne MP. Effects of dietary indole-3-carbinol on estradiol metabolism and spontaneous mammary tumors in mice. Carcinogenesis 1991;12:1571-4. View abstract.
- Bradlow HL, Michnovicz JJ, Halper M, et al. Long-term responses of women to indole-3-carbinol or a high fiber diet. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 1994;3:591-5. View abstract.
- Bradlow HL, Sepkovic DW, Telang NT, Osborne MP. Multifunctional aspects of the action of indole-3-carbinol as an antitumor agent. Ann N Y Acad Sci 1999;889:204-13. View abstract.
- Bradlow HL. Indole-3-carbinol as a chemoprotective agent in breast and prostate cancer. In Vivo 2008;22(4):441-5. View abstract.
- Dashwood RH. Indole-3-carbinol: anticarcinogen or tumor promoter in brassica vegetables? Chem Biol Interact 1998;110:1-5. View abstract.
- de Moura NA, Caetano BFR, de Moraes LN, Carvalho RF, Rodrigues MAM, Barbisan LF. Enhancement of colon carcinogenesis by the combination of indole-3 carbinol and synbiotics in hemin-fed rats. Food Chem Toxicol. 2018;112:11-18. View abstract.
- Exon JH, South EH. Dietary indole-3-carbinol alters immune functions in rats. J Toxicol Environ Health A 2000;59:271-9. View abstract.
- Gao X, Petroff BK, Oluola O, et al. Endocrine disruption by indole-3-carbinol and tamoxifen: blockage of ovulation. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 2002;183:179-88. View abstract.
- Grubbs CJ, Steele VE, Casebolt T, et al. Chemoprevention of chemically-induced mammary carcinogenesis by indole-3-carbinol. Anticancer Res 1995;15:709-16. View abstract.
- He YH, Friesen MD, Ruch RJ, Schut HA. Indole-3-carbinol as a chemopreventive agent in 2-amino-1-methyl-6-phenylimidazo[4,5-b]pyridine (PhIP) carcinogenesis: inhibition of PhIP-DNA adduct formation, acceleration of PhIP metabolism, and induction of cytochrome P450 in female F344 rats. Food Chem Toxicol 2000;38:15-23. View abstract.
- Jin L, Qi M, Chen DZ, et al. Indole-3-carbinol prevents cervical cancer in human papilloma virus type 16 (HPV16) transgenic mice. Cancer Res 1999;59:3991-7. View abstract.
- Kim DJ, Han BS, Ahn B, et al. Enhancement by indole-3-carbinol of liver and thyroid gland neoplastic development in a rat medium-term multiorgan carcinogenesis model. Carcinogenesis 1997;18:377-81. View abstract.
- Kiselev VI, Ashrafyan LA, Muyzhnek EL, et al. A new promising way of maintenance therapy in advanced ovarian cancer: a comparative clinical study. BMC Cancer. 2018;18(1):904. View abstract.
- Kojima T, Tanaka T, Mori H. Chemoprevention of spontaneous endometrial cancer in female Donryu rats by dietary indole-3-carbinol. Cancer Res 1994;54:1446-9. View abstract.
- McAlindon TE, Gulin J, Chen T, et al. Indole-3-carbinol in women with SLE: effect on estrogen metabolism and disease activity. Lupus 2001;10:779-83. View abstract.
- McDanell R, McLean AEM. Chemical and biological properties of indole glucosinolates (glucobrassicins): a review. Food Chem Toxicol 1988;26(1):59-70. View abstract.
- Michnovicz JJ, Bradlow HL. Induction of estradiol metabolism by dietary indole-3-carbinol in humans. J Natl Cancer Inst 1990;82:947-9. View abstract.
- Michnovicz JJ. Increased estrogen 2-hydroxylation in obese women using oral indole-3-carbinol. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 1998;22:227-9. View abstract.
- Naik R, Nixon S, Lopes A, et al. A randomized phase II trial of indole-3-carbinol in the treatment of vulvar intraepithelial neoplasia. Int J Gynecol Cancer 2006;16:786-90. View abstract.
- Natl Inst Health, Natl Inst Environmental Health Sci. Indole-3-carbinol. Available at: http://ntp-server.niehs.nih.gov.
- Paliwal P, Chauhan G, Gautam D, Dash D, Patne SCU, Krishnamurthy S. Indole-3-carbinol improves neurobehavioral symptoms in a cerebral ischemic stroke model. Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol. 2018;391(6):613-625. View abstract.
Have you ever purchased INDOLE-3-CARBINOL?
Did you or will you purchase this product in-store or online?
Where did you or where do you plan to purchase this product?
Where did you or where do you plan to purchase this product?
What factors influenced or will influence your purchase? (check all that apply)
Where did you or where do you plan to purchase this product?
Do you buy vitamins online or instore?
What factors are most important to you? (check all that apply)