Chinese Foxglove, Chinese Rehmanniae Radix, Chinese RR, Di Huang, Dihuang, Gun-Ji-Whang, Japanese Rehmanniae Radix, Japanese RR, Jio, Juku-Jio, Kan-Jio, R. Glutinosa, Racine de Rehmannia, Rehmanniae, Rehmannia Glutinosa Oligosaccharide, Rehmannia glutinosa, Rehmannia Radac, Rehmanniae Radix, Rehmanniae Root, RR, Rhemannia Root, Rehmannia Steamed Root, RGAE, RGX, ROS, Saeng-Ji-Whang, Sho-Jio, Shu Di Huang, Sook-Ji-Whang, To-Byun.<br/><br/>
Overview InformationRehmannia is a plant. The root and parts that grow above the ground are used to make medicine. Rehmannia is commonly found in herbal combinations used in Traditional Chinese Medicine and Japanese Medicine.
Rehmannia is used for diabetes, “tired blood” (anemia), fever, weakened bones (osteoporosis), and allergies; and as a general tonic.
How does it work?There is not enough information to know how rehmannia might work for any medical condition. However, some chemicals in rehmannia seem to affect the immune system and might reduce pain and swelling. Some chemicals in rehmannia also seem to lower blood sugar levels.
Uses & Effectiveness
Insufficient Evidence for
- Anemia caused by bone marrow failure (aplastic anemia). Early research suggests that taking rehmannia along with the steroidal drug stanozolol might help improve symptoms of aplastic anemia better than stanozolol alone.
- Chronic lung disease (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, COPD). Early research suggests that taking a Chinese herbal decoction containing rehmannia root and angelica (tongfei mixture) by mouth along with oxygen treatment might improve oxygen levels during the night better than oxygen treatment alone in people with COPD and low oxygen levels.
- “Weakened bones” (osteoporosis).
- As a general tonic.
- Other conditions.
Side Effects & SafetyThere is not enough information available to know if rehmannia is safe to take for medical conditions.
Special Precautions & Warnings:Pregnancy and breast-feeding: There is not enough reliable information about the safety of taking rehmannia if you are pregnant or breast-feeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.
Diabetes: Since rehmannia might affect blood sugar levels, people with diabetes should avoid or be very cautious about taking rehmannia. If you have diabetes and take rehmannia, monitor your blood sugar carefully.
Surgery: Because rehmannia might affect bloodglucose levels, it might interfere with blood sugar control during and after surgery. Stop using rehmannia at least 2 weeks before a scheduled surgery.
Be cautious with this combination
Medications for diabetes (Antidiabetes drugs) interacts with REHMANNIA
Rehmannia might decrease blood sugar. There is concern that taking rehmannia with other medications for diabetes might cause blood sugar to decrease too much. Monitor your blood sugar closely. The dose of your diabetes medication might need to be changed.<br /> Some medications used for diabetes include glimepiride (Amaryl), glyburide (DiaBeta, Glynase PresTabs, Micronase), insulin, pioglitazone (Actos), rosiglitazone (Avandia), chlorpropamide (Diabinese), glipizide (Glucotrol), tolbutamide (Orinase), and others.
The appropriate dose of rehmannia depends on several factors such as the user's age, health, and several other conditions. At this time there is not enough scientific information to determine an appropriate range of doses for rehmannia. Keep in mind that natural products are not always necessarily safe and dosages can be important. Be sure to follow relevant directions on product labels and consult your pharmacist or physician or other healthcare professional before using.
- Feng, G. P., Zhang, S. D., and Yi, N. Y. [Effects of Rehmannia glutinosa, Plastrum testudinis, Aconitum carmichaeli and Cinnamomum cassia on the beta-adrenergic receptors of hyperthyroid rat kidneys]. Zhong.Xi.Yi.Jie.He.Za Zhi. 1986;6(10):606-8, 582. View abstract.
- Kassler, W. J., Blanc, P., and Greenblatt, R. The use of medicinal herbs by human immunodeficiency virus-infected patients. Arch Intern Med 1991;151(11):2281-2288. View abstract.
- Liang, R., Chen, M. R., and Xu, X. [Effect of dandi tablet on blood lipids and sex hormones in women of postmenopausal stage]. Zhongguo Zhong.Xi.Yi.Jie.He.Za Zhi. 2003;23(8):593-595. View abstract.
- Liu, J. Q. and Wu, D. W. [32 cases of postoperative osteogenic sarcoma treated by chemotherapy combined with Chinese medicinal herbs]. Zhongguo Zhong.Xi.Yi.Jie.He.Za Zhi. 1993;13(3):150-2, 132. View abstract.
- Matsui, A. S., Rogers, J., Woo, Y. K., and Cutting, W. C. Effects of some natural products on fertility in mice. Med.Pharmacol.Exp.Int.J.Exp.Med. 1967;16(5):414-424. View abstract.
- Su, Z. Z., He, Y. Y., and Chen, G. [Clinical and experimental study on effects of man-shen-ling oral liquid in the treatment of 100 cases of chronic nephritis]. Zhongguo Zhong.Xi.Yi.Jie.He.Za Zhi. 1993;13(5):269-60. View abstract.
- Yap, H. K., Ang, S. G., Lai, Y. H., Ramgolam, V., and Jordan, S. C. Improvement in lupus nephritis following treatment with a Chinese herbal preparation. Arch Pediatr Adolesc.Med 1999;153(8):850-852. View abstract.
- Yin, X. J., Liu, D. X., Wang, H. C., and Zhou, Y. A study on the mutagenicity of 102 raw pharmaceuticals used in Chinese traditional medicine. Mutat.Res 1991;260(1):73-82. View abstract.
- Zee-Cheng, R. K. Shi-quan-da-bu-tang (ten significant tonic decoction), SQT. A potent Chinese biological response modifier in cancer immunotherapy, potentiation and detoxification of anticancer drugs. Methods Find.Exp Clin Pharmacol 1992;14(9):725-736. View abstract.
- Chen, L. Z., Feng, X. W., and Zhou, J. H. Effects of Rehmannia glutinosa polysaccharide b on T-lymphocytes in mice bearing sarcoma 180. Zhongguo Yao Li Xue.Bao. 1995;16(4):337-340. View abstract.
- Cui, Z. B., Yuan, Y. D., Liu, S. H., Han, D., Gao, X., and Qi, F. [Intervention effect of tongfei mixture on nocturnal hypoxia in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease]. Zhongguo Zhong.Xi.Yi.Jie.He.Za Zhi. 2004;24(10):885-888. View abstract.
- Farnsworth N, Bingel A, Cordell G, et al. Potential value of plants as sources of new antifertility agents I. J Pharm Sci 1975;64:535-98. View abstract.
- Hou, S. and Sheng, J. [Nourishing yin action of the prepared rhizoma Rehmanniae]. Zhongguo Zhong.Yao Za Zhi. 1992;17(5):301-3, inside. View abstract.
- Kamei T, Kumano H, Iwata K, et al. The effect of a traditional Chinese prescription for a case of lung carcinoma. J Altern Complement Med 2000;6:557-9. View abstract.
- Kiho, T., Watanabe, T., Nagai, K., and Ukai, S. [Hypoglycemic activity of polysaccharide fraction from rhizome of Rehmannia glutinosa Libosch. f. hueichingensis Hsiao and the effect on carbohydrate metabolism in normal mouse liver]. Yakugaku Zasshi 1992;112(6):393-400. View abstract.
- Kim H, Lee E, Lee S, et al. Effect of Rehmannia glutinosa on immediate type allergic reaction. Int J Immunopharmacol 1998;20:231-40. View abstract.
- Kim HM, An CS, Jung KY, et al. Rehmannia glutinosa inhibits tumour necrosis factor-alpha and interleukin-1 secretion from mouse astrocytes. Pharmacol Res 1999;40:171-6. View abstract.
- Kubo, M., Asano, T., Shiomoto, H., and Matsuda, H. Studies on rehmanniae radix. I. Effect of 50% ethanolic extract from steamed and dried rehmanniae radix on hemorheology in arthritic and thrombosic rats. Biol Pharm Bull 1994;17(9):1282-1286. View abstract.
- Liang S. TCM treatment for 50 cases of acute protrusion of the lumbar intervertebral disc. JTCM 2001;21(4):265-266.
- Lu, C. S. [Effects of Rehmannia glutinosa in the treatment of Sheehan's syndrome]. Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Za Zhi 1985;5(8):476-8, 451. View abstract.
- Luo W and Wu C. Fifty-six cases of stubborn eczema treated by oral administration and topical application of herbal medicine. JTCM 2001;21(4):259-260.
- Miura, T., Kako, M., Ishihara, E., Usami, M., Yano, H., Tanigawa, K., Sudo, K., and Seino, Y. Antidiabetic effect of seishin-kanro-to in KK-Ay mice. Planta Med 1997;63(4):320-322. View abstract.
- Nishimura H, Yamaguchi T, Sasaki H, and et al. Enzyme inhibitory activities of phenethyl alcohol glycosides from Rehmannia glutinosa [poster]. Planta Med 1990;56:684.
- Oh KO, Kim SW, et al. Effect of Rehmannia glutinosa Libosch extracts on bone metabolism. Clin Chim Acta 2003;334:185-95. View abstract.
- Sasaki H, Nishimura H, Morota T, et al. Immunosuppressive principles of Rehmannia glutinosa var. hueichingensis. Planta Med 1989;55:458-62. View abstract.
- Shan, J. C. [Determination of hepatocyte adrenergic alpha 1 receptor and study on actions of nourishing yin and replenishing qi drugs in experimental hyperthyroid rats]. Zhongguo Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Za Zhi 1994;14(2):96-70. View abstract.
- Wei, X. L. and Ru, X. B. [Effects of low-molecular-weight Rehmannia glutinosa polysaccharides on p53 gene expression]. Zhongguo Yao Li Xue.Bao. 1997;18(5):471-474. View abstract.
- Yi, N. Y., Chu, W., and Koang, N. K. Pharmacologic studies on liu wei di huang t'ang (decoction of Rehmannia with 6 components): its action on kidney function and blood pressure of rats with renal hypertension. Chin Med J 1965;84(7):433-436. View abstract.
- Yin X, Zhang S, Kong Y, and et al. Observation on efficiency of Jiangtang capsule in treating diabetes mellitus type 2 with hyperlipidemia. CJIM 2001;7(3):214-216.
- Yu Y, Sun W, Cao K, and et al. Treatment of aplastic anemia by the kidney-tonifying and mediating method. JTCM 2001;21(4):252-255.
- Yu, H., Oh-Hashi, K., Tanaka, T., Sai, A., Inoue, M., Hirata, Y., and Kiuchi, K. Rehmannia glutinosa induces glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor gene expression in astroglial cells via cPKC and ERK1/2 pathways independently. Pharmacol.Res 4-3-2006; View abstract.
- Yuan, A., Liu, C., and Huang, X. [Treatment of 34 cases of chronic aplastic anemia using prepared Rehmannia polysaccharide associated with stanozolol]. Zhongguo Zhong.Xi.Yi.Jie.He.Za Zhi 1998;18(6):351-353. View abstract.
- Yuan, Y., Hou, S., Lian, T., and Han, Y. [Studies of Rehmannia glutinosa Libosch. f. hueichingensis as a blood tonic]. Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi 1992;17(6):366-368, inside. View abstract.
- Zhang R, Zhou J, Jia Z, et al. Hypoglycemic effect of Rehmannia glutinosa oligosaccharide in hyperglycemic and alloxan-induced diabetic rats and its mechanism. J Ethnopharmacol 2004;90:39-43. View abstract.
- Zhou Y and Sun H. Chinese herbal enema for treatment of tumors at the middle and late stage. JTCM 2001;21(4):256-258.
- Zhou Y, Huang Z, Huang T, and et al. Clinical study of Shengxue Mixture in treating aplastic anemia. CJIM 2001;7(3):186-189.