Alhucema, Common Lavender, English Lavender, French Lavender, Garden Lavender, Huile Essentielle de Lavande, Lavanda, Lavande, Lavande à Feuilles Étroites, Lavande Anglaise, Lavande Commune, Lavande des Alpes, Lavande du Jardin, Lavande Espagnole, Lavande Fine, Lavande Française, Lavande Officinale, Lavande Vraie, Lavandula, Lavandula angustifolia, Lavandula dentate, Lavandula latifolia, Lavandula officinalis, Lavandula pubescens, Lavandula spica, Lavandula stoechas, Lavandula vera, Lavender Essential Oil, Ostokhoddous, Spanish Lavender, Spike Lavender, True Lavender.
Overview InformationLavender is an herb. The flower and the oil of lavender are used to make medicine.
Lavender is commonly used for anxiety, stress, and insomnia. It is also used for depression, dementia, pain after surgery, and many other conditions, but there is no good scientific evidence to support many of these uses.
In foods and beverages, lavender is used as a flavor component.
In manufacturing, lavender is used in pharmaceutical products and as a fragrance ingredient in soaps, cosmetics, perfumes, potpourri, and decorations.
Lavender (scientific name Lavandula angustifolia) is commonly contaminated with related species, including Lavandula hybrida, which is a cross between Lavandula angustifolia and Lavandula latifolia, from which lavandin oil is obtained.
How does it work?Lavender contains an oil that seems to have sedating effects and might relax certain muscles. It also seems to have antibacterial and antifungal effects.
Uses & Effectiveness
Possibly Effective for
- Anxiety. Some research shows that taking a specific type of lavender oil supplement by mouth might improve symptoms in some people with anxiety. Most research also shows that lavender oil aromatherapy or aromatherapy massage improves anxiety.
- Depression. Research shows that lavender aromatherapy may improve symptoms in some people with depression. Taking lavender preparations by mouth might also help. While taking lavender appears to be slightly less effective than the antidepressant drug imipramine, taking the two in combination might be more beneficial than taking the drug alone.
- Menstrual cramps (dysmenorrhea). Lavender oil aromatherapy massages reduce pain associated with menstruation in some young women better than regular massages. Also, inhaling lavender oil for the first 3 days of menstruation seems to reduce stomach pain and backache in women with menstrual pain.
- Pain after surgery. Some research shows that inhaling lavender essence while receiving pain killers intravenously (by IV) can help reduce pain in women after a C-section. Other research shows that inhaling lavender for 3 minutes every 6 hours can lessen pain and reduce the need to use acetaminophen after a tonsillectomy in children 6-12 years old.
Possibly Ineffective for
- Pain in people with cancer. Research shows that using lavender oil for aromatherapy massage doesn't reduce cancer-related pain compared to massages alone.
Insufficient Evidence for
- Patchy hair loss (alopecia areata). There is some evidence that applying lavender oil in combination with oils from thyme, rosemary, and cedarwood might improve hair growth by as much as 44% after 7 months of treatment.
- Eczema (atopic dermatitis). Early research shows that using a combination of lavender oil and other herbal essential oils for aromatherapy massage does not improve skin irritation during the day or the ability to sleep at night in children with itchy and inflamed skin.
- Canker sores. Research shows that applying 2 drops of lavender oil to the affected area three times daily can reduce canker sore swelling and pain and shorten the time it takes for canker sores to heal.
- Excessive crying in infants (colic). Results from one small study show that massaging a combination of lavender and almond oils onto the belly of infants for 5-15 minutes at the onset of colic reduces crying time by about 7 hours per week.
- Diseases, such as Alzheimer disease, that interfere with thinking (dementia). Some research shows that using lavender oil in a diffuser at night reduces agitation in people with dementia. But inhaling the scent of lavender oil applied to the shirt collar or on the forearms doesn't seem to decrease dementia-related agitation. Also, using aromatherapy massages doesn't seem to improve mental function in people with dementia.
- Fall prevention. There is some evidence that attaching a pad with lavender oil onto the neckline of clothing reduces the risk of falling by 43% in nursing home residents.
- Fatigue. Early research shows that inhaling lavender oil for 15-20 minutes twice daily for 4 weeks reduces fatigue in people undergoing dialysis for kidney disease. However, inhaling lavender less often or for less time might not work.
- High blood pressure. Early research shows that using an essential oil mixture of lavender, lemon, and ylang ylang as aromatherapy might reduce systolic blood pressure (the top number) but not diastolic blood pressure (the bottom number) in people with high blood pressure.
- Insomnia. Early research shows that using lavender oil in a vaporizer overnight, or on a gauze pad, cotton ball, or cloth left beside the bed, might help some people with mild insomnia sleep better. But lavender oil aromatherapy does not seem to help people sleep in hospitals.
- Labor pain. Early research shows that inhaling the scent of lavender essence three separate times during labor can reduce overall pain in labor.
- Lice. Early research shows that applying a combination of lavender and tea tree oil to the skin helps kill lice eggs and reduce the number of live lice. It is unclear if the effects are caused by lavender alone or the combination of lavender and tea tree oil.
- Symptoms of menopause. Some research shows that inhaling the scent of lavender essence for 4-12 weeks can reduce symptoms of menopause such as flushing.
- Migraine. Early research shows that rubbing 2 or 3 drops of lavender oil on the upper lip and inhaling the vapor might reduce migraine pain and nausea, and help stop the headache spreading.
- Osteoarthritis. Some research shows that massaging the knee with lavender oil three times each week for 3 weeks can reduce osteoarthritis pain compared to massaging with unscented oil or no massage at all.
- Ear infection (otitis media). Early research shows that administering ear drops containing lavender and other herbal extracts improves ear pain in people with ear infections. However, this herbal combination does not appear to be more effective than using a skin-numbing agent along with the antibiotic amoxicillin.
- Pain. Some research shows that lavender aromatherapy might help reduce pain from needle insertion. Also, inhaling the scent of lavender oil before a gynecological exam seems to reduce pain during the exam. But lavender aromatherapy doesn't seem to reduce pain during wound dressing changes. Lavender oil aromatherapy also seems to reduce needle stick pain in infants.
- Nausea and vomiting after surgery. Some research shows that inhaling lavender oil from a cotton pad might help reduce nausea and vomiting shortly after surgery.
- Complications after childbirth. Adding lavender oil to baths seems to reduce redness in the area between the vagina and anus shortly after childbirth. It might also reduce pain in this area, but results are conflicting. Inhaling the scent of lavender oil in the morning, 6 hours later, and at bedtime seems to improve pain, fatigue, distress, and mood in women on the first day after delivery.
- Anxiety before surgery. Some people use lavender aromatherapy for reducing anxiety before surgery or other medical or dental procedures. But it's unclear if it's beneficial. Results from research are conflicting.
- Feelings of well-being. Some research shows that adding 3 mL of a 20% lavender oil and 80% grapeseed oil mixture to daily baths produces small improvements in mood compared with baths containing grapeseed oil alone. But other research shows that adding lavender oil to aromatherapy massage does not improve well-being or quality of life in cancer patients.
- A disorder that causes leg discomfort and an irresistible urge to move the legs (restless legs syndrome or RLS). One study shows that massaging the legs with lavender oil for 10-45 minutes 2-3 times weekly can reduce the severity of restless legs syndrome in people with kidney failure who are undergoing dialysis. But one study suggests that receiving massage with lavender is no better for improving RLS symptoms than unscented massage.
- Stress. Inhaling the scent of lavender oil before a gynecological exam seems to reduce distress after the exam. But lavender aromatherapy doesn't seem to reduce stress after heart bypass surgery. It also doesn't seem to reduce stress in students taking an exam.
- Absence of menstrual periods (amenorrhea).
- Gas (flatulence).
- Indigestion (dyspepsia).
- Insect repellent.
- Loss of appetite.
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Nerve pain.
- Rheumatoid arthritis (RA).
- Other conditions.
Side Effects & SafetyWhen taken by mouth: Lavender is LIKELY SAFE for most adults in food amounts. It's POSSIBLY SAFE when taken by mouth in medicinal amounts. When taken by mouth, lavender may cause constipation, headache, and increased appetite.
When applied to the skin: Lavender is POSSIBLY SAFE when applied to the skin in medicinal amounts. It can sometimes cause irritation, although this is uncommon.
When inhaled: Lavender is POSSIBLY SAFE when inhaled as aromatherapy.
Special Precautions & Warnings:Pregnancy and breast-feeding: There is not enough reliable information to know if lavender is safe to use when pregnant or breast-feeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.
Children: Applying products to the skin that contain lavender oil is POSSIBLY UNSAFE for young boys who have not yet reached puberty. Lavender oil seems to have hormone effects that could disrupt the normal hormones in a boy's body. In some cases, this has resulted in boys developing abnormal breast growth called gynecomastia. The safety of these products when used by young girls is not known.
Surgery: Lavender might slow down the central nervous system. If used in combination with anesthesia and other medications given during and after surgery, it might slow down the central nervous system too much. Stop using lavender at least 2 weeks before a scheduled surgery.
Be cautious with this combination
Chloral Hydrate interacts with LAVENDER
Chloral hydrate causes sleepiness and drowsiness. Lavender seems to increase the effects of chloral hydrate. Taking lavender along with chloral hydrate might cause too much sleepiness.
Sedative medications (Barbiturates) interacts with LAVENDER
Lavender might cause sleepiness and drowsiness. Medications that cause sleepiness are called sedatives. Taking lavender along with sedative medications might cause too much sleepiness.
Some sedative medications include amobarbital (Amytal), butabarbital (Butisol), mephobarbital (Mebaral), pentobarbital (Nembutal), phenobarbital (Luminal), secobarbital (Seconal), and others.
Sedative medications (CNS depressants) interacts with LAVENDER
Lavender might cause sleepiness and drowsiness. Medications that cause sleepiness are called sedatives. Taking lavender along with sedative medications might cause too much sleepiness.
Some sedative medications include clonazepam (Klonopin), lorazepam (Ativan), phenobarbital (Donnatal), zolpidem (Ambien), and others.
The following doses have been studied in scientific research:
- Anxiety: 80-160 mg of a specific lavender oil ingredient (Silexan, Dr Willmar Schwabe GmbH & Co. KG) has been taken daily for 6-10 weeks. 500 mg of dried, powdered lavender flowers has been taken twice daily for 8 weeks.
- Depression: 80 mg of a specific lavender oil ingredient (Silexan, Dr Willmar Schwabe GmbH & Co. KG) has been taken daily for 6 weeks. 60 drops of a diluted lavender tincture have been taken daily for 4 weeks.
- Anxiety: 8 drops of an oil blend containing 2% lavender and rose essential oil has been applied to a cotton pad and inhaled for 15 minutes twice weekly for 4 weeks. The lavender and rose oil formulation was prepared by diluting 2 drops of an essential oil blend containing 75% lavender oil and 25% rose oil diluted in 5 mL of jojoba oil. 3 drops of lavender essential oil has been applied to a cotton pad and inhaled for 5 minutes daily for 1 month. 2 drops of lavender oil have been applied to a cotton pad and kept by the pillow overnight for 1 week. 3 drops of lavender oil have been applied to on a cotton pad and inhaled 30 minutes. Lavender oil has been diffused through a waiting room for 15 minutes.
- Depression: 8 drops of an oil blend containing 2% lavender and rose essential oil has been applied to a cotton pad and inhaled for 15 minutes twice weekly for 4 weeks. The lavender and rose oil formulation was prepared by diluting 2 drops of an essential oil blend containing 75% lavender oil and 25% rose oil diluted in 5 mL of jojoba oil. 5 mL of an aromatherapy oil containing lavender, sweet orange, and bergamot has been massaged into the upper body twice weekly for 8 weeks.
- Menstrual pain: Applying 3 drops of lavender oil to the hands and inhaling every 6 hours or placing 3 drops of oil onto a piece of cotton and inhaling for 30 minutes daily for the first 3 days of menstruation has been used. Also, 2 mL of lavender oil applied on the abdomen for 15 minutes as part of an aromatherapy massage has been used during a menstrual period.
- Pain after surgery: Two drops of 2% lavender essence has been applied to the inside of an oxygen face mask and inhaled for 3 minutes at 3, 8, and 16 hours after receiving pain-relievers for C-section pain.
- Altaei, D. T. Topical lavender oil for the treatment of recurrent aphthous ulceration. Am J Dent 2012;25(1):39-43. View abstract.
- Apay, S. E., Arslan, S., Akpinar, R. B., and Celebioglu, A. Effect of aromatherapy massage on dysmenorrhea in Turkish students. Pain Manag.Nurs. 2012;13(4):236-240. View abstract.
- Braden, R., Reichow, S., and Halm, M. A. The use of the essential oil lavandin to reduce preoperative anxiety in surgical patients. J Perianesth.Nurs. 2009;24(6):348-355. View abstract.
- Bradley, B. F., Brown, S. L., Chu, S., and Lea, R. W. Effects of orally administered lavender essential oil on responses to anxiety-provoking film clips. Hum.Psychopharmacol. 2009;24(4):319-330. View abstract.
- Brandao FM. Occupational allergy to lavender oil. Contact Dermatitis 1986;15(4):249-250. View abstract.
- Buckle J. Aromatherapy. NursTimes 5-19-1993;89(20):32-35. View abstract.
- Burke YD, Stark MJ, Roach SL, and et al. Inhibition of pancreatic cancer growth by the dietary isoprenoids farnesol and geraniol. Lipids 1997;32(2):151-156. View abstract.
- Cassella JP, Cassella S, Ashford R, and Siddals E. Antifungal activity of tea tree and lavender essential oils in the treatment of Trichophyton rubrum infection. Focus on Alternative and Complementary Therapies 2001;6(1):74.
- Cetinkaya, B. and Basbakkal, Z. The effectiveness of aromatherapy massage using lavender oil as a treatment for infantile colic. Int J Nurs.Pract. 2012;18(2):164-169. View abstract.
- Cha, J. H., Lee, S. H., and Yoo, Y. S. [Effects of aromatherapy on changes in the autonomic nervous system, aortic pulse wave velocity and aortic augmentation index in patients with essential hypertension]. J Korean Acad Nurs. 2010;40(5):705-713. View abstract.
- Chang, S. Y. [Effects of aroma hand massage on pain, state anxiety and depression in hospice patients with terminal cancer]. Taehan Kanho.Hakhoe.Chi 2008;38(4):493-502. View abstract.
- Chung, M. and Choi, E. [A comparison between effects of aroma massage and meridian massage on constipation and stress in women college students]. J Korean Acad Nurs. 2011;41(1):26-35. View abstract.
- Clegg, R. J., Middleton, B., Bell, G. D., and White, D. A. The mechanism of cyclic monoterpene inhibition of hepatic 3-hydroxy-3- methylglutaryl coenzyme A reductase in vivo in the rat. J Biol Chem 3-10-1982;257(5):2294-2299. View abstract.
- Conrad, P. and Adams, C. The effects of clinical aromatherapy for anxiety and depression in the high risk postpartum woman - a pilot study. Complement Ther Clin Pract. 2012;18(3):164-168. View abstract.
- Cornwell S and Dale A. Lavender oil and perineal repair. Mod Midwife 1995;5(3):31-33. View abstract.
- Coulson IH and Khan AS. Facial 'pillow' dermatitis due to lavender oil allergy. Contact Dermatitis 1999;41(2):111. View abstract.
- D'Auria, F. D., Tecca, M., Strippoli, V., Salvatore, G., Battinelli, L., and Mazzanti, G. Antifungal activity of Lavandula angustifolia essential oil against Candida albicans yeast and mycelial form. Med Mycol. 2005;43(5):391-396. View abstract.
- Diego MA, Jones NA, Field T, and et al. Aromatherapy positively affects mood, EEG patterns of alertness and math computations. Int J Neurosci. 1998;96(3-4):217-224. View abstract.
- Djenane, D., Aider, M., Yanguela, J., Idir, L., Gomez, D., and Roncales, P. Antioxidant and antibacterial effects of Lavandula and Mentha essential oils in minced beef inoculated with E. coli O157:H7 and S. aureus during storage at abuse refrigeration temperature. Meat.Sci 2012;92(4):667-674. View abstract.
- Duan, X., Tashiro, M., Wu, D., Yambe, T., Wang, Q., Sasaki, T., Kumagai, K., Luo, Y., Nitta, S., and Itoh, M. Autonomic nervous function and localization of cerebral activity during lavender aromatic immersion. Technol Health Care 2007;15(2):69-78. View abstract.
- Dunn C, Sleep J, and Collett D. Sensing an improvement: an experimental study to evaluate the use of aromatherapy, massage and periods of rest in an intensive care unit. J Adv Nurs 1995;21(1):34-40. View abstract.
- Dwyer, A. V., Whitten, D. L., and Hawrelak, J. A. Herbal medicines, other than St. John's Wort, in the treatment of depression: a systematic review. Altern Med Rev. 2011;16(1):40-49. View abstract.
- El-Alfy, A. T., Abourashed, E. A., and Matsumoto, R. R. Nature against depression. Curr Med Chem 2012;19(14):2229-2241. View abstract.
- Elegbede, J. A., Elson, C. E., Qureshi, A., Tanner, M. A., and Gould, M. N. Inhibition of DMBA-induced mammary cancer by the monoterpene d-limonene. Carcinogenesis 1984;5(5):661-664. View abstract.
- Elisabetsky, E., Marschner, J., and Souza, D. O. Effects of Linalool on glutamatergic system in the rat cerebral cortex. Neurochem.Res 1995;20(4):461-465. View abstract.
- Fujii, M., Hatakeyama, R., Fukuoka, Y., Yamamoto, T., Sasaki, R., Moriya, M., Kanno, M., and Sasaki, H. Lavender aroma therapy for behavioral and psychological symptoms in dementia patients. Geriatr.Gerontol.Int 2008;8(2):136-138. View abstract.
- Gabbrielli G, Loggini F, Cioni PL, and et al. Activity of lavandino essential oil against non-tubercular opportunistic rapid grown mycobacteria. Pharmacol Res Commun 1988;20 Suppl 5:37-40. View abstract.
- Gamez MJ, Jimenez J, Navarro C, and et al. Study of the essential oil of Lavandula dentata L. Pharmazie 1990;45(1):69-70. View abstract.
- Gedney, J. J., Glover, T. L., and Fillingim, R. B. Sensory and affective pain discrimination after inhalation of essential oils. Psychosom.Med. 2004;66(4):599-606. View abstract.
- Ghelardini C, Galeotti N, Salvatore G, and et al. Local anaesthetic activity of the essential oil of Lavandula angustifolia. Planta Med 1999;65(8):700-703. View abstract.
- Gross JJ, Levenson RW. Emotion elicitation using films. Int J Neurosci 1995;9:87-108.
- Grunebaum, L. D., Murdock, J., Castanedo-Tardan, M. P., and Baumann, L. S. Effects of lavender olfactory input on cosmetic procedures. J Cosmet.Dermatol 2011;10(2):89-93. View abstract.
- Guillemain J, Rousseau A, and Delaveau P. [Neurodepressive effects of the essential oil of Lavandula angustifolia Mill]. Ann Pharm Fr 1989;47(6):337-343. View abstract.
- Haag, J. D. and Gould, M. N. Mammary carcinoma regression induced by perillyl alcohol, a hydroxylated analog of limonene. Cancer Chemother.Pharmacol 1994;34(6):477-483. View abstract.
- Hadi, N. and Hanid, A. A. Lavender essence for post-cesarean pain. Pak.J Biol.Sci 6-1-2011;14(11):664-667. View abstract.
- Hardy M, Kirk-Smith MD, and Stretch DD. Replacement of drug treatment for insomnia by ambient odour. Lancet 9-9-1995;346(8976):701. View abstract.
- Heuberger, E., Redhammer, S., and Buchbauer, G. Transdermal absorption of (-)-linalool induces autonomic deactivation but has no impact on ratings of well-being in humans. Neuropsychopharmacology 2004;29(10):1925-1932. View abstract.
- Hongratanaworakit, T. Aroma-therapeutic effects of massage blended essential oils on humans. Nat.Prod.Commun. 2011;6(8):1199-1204. View abstract.
- Howard, S. and Hughes, B. M. Expectancies, not aroma, explain impact of lavender aromatherapy on psychophysiological indices of relaxation in young healthy women. Br J Health Psychol. 2008;13(Pt 4):603-617. View abstract.
- Hoya, Y., Matsumura, I., Fujita, T., and Yanaga, K. The use of nonpharmacological interventions to reduce anxiety in patients undergoing gastroscopy in a setting with an optimal soothing environment. Gastroenterol.Nurs. 2008;31(6):395-399. View abstract.
- Hur, M. H., Oh, H., Lee, M. S., Kim, C., Choi, A. N., and Shin, G. R. Effects of aromatherapy massage on blood pressure and lipid profile in korean climacteric women. Int J Neurosci. 2007;117(9):1281-1287. View abstract.
- Itai T, Amayasu H, Kuribayashi M, and et al. Psychological effects of aromatherapy on chronic hemodialysis patients. Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 2000;54(4):393-397. View abstract.
- Jager W, Buchbauer G, Jirovetz L, and et al. Percutaneous absorption of lavender oil from massage oil. J Soc Cosmet Chem 1992;43:49-54.
- Jimbo, D., Kimura, Y., Taniguchi, M., Inoue, M., and Urakami, K. Effect of aromatherapy on patients with Alzheimer's disease. Psychogeriatrics. 2009;9(4):173-179. View abstract.
- Jones, C. The efficacy of lavender oil on perineal trauma: a review of the evidence. Complement Ther Clin Pract. 2011;17(4):215-220. View abstract.
- Kasper, S., Gastpar, M., Muller, W. E., Volz, H. P., Moller, H. J., Dienel, A., and Schlafke, S. Efficacy and safety of silexan, a new, orally administered lavender oil preparation, in subthreshold anxiety disorder - evidence from clinical trials. Wien Med Wochenschr. 2010;160(21-22):547-556. View abstract.
- Kasper, S., Gastpar, M., Muller, W. E., Volz, H. P., Moller, H. J., Dienel, A., and Schlafke, S. Silexan, an orally administered Lavandula oil preparation, is effective in the treatment of 'subsyndromal' anxiety disorder: a randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled trial. Int Clin Psychopharmacol. 2010;25(5):277-287. View abstract.
- Kim, M. J., Nam, E. S., and Paik, S. I. [The effects of aromatherapy on pain, depression, and life satisfaction of arthritis patients]. Taehan Kanho.Hakhoe.Chi 2005;35(1):186-194. View abstract.
- Kim, S., Kim, H. J., Yeo, J. S., Hong, S. J., Lee, J. M., and Jeon, Y. The effect of lavender oil on stress, bispectral index values, and needle insertion pain in volunteers. J Altern Complement Med 2011;17(9):823-826. View abstract.
- Kritsidima, M., Newton, T., and Asimakopoulou, K. The effects of lavender scent on dental patient anxiety levels: a cluster randomised-controlled trial. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 2010;38(1):83-87. View abstract.
- Kutlu, A. K. Yilmaz E. et al. Effects of aroma inhalation on examination anxiety. Teaching & Learning in Nursing 2008;3(4):125-130.
- Lantry LE, Zhang Z, Gao F, and et al. Chemopreventive effect of perillyl alcohol on 4-(methylnitrosamino)-1- (3-pyridyl)-1-butanone induced tumorigenesis in (C3H/HeJ X A/J)F1 mouse lung. J Cell Biochem Suppl 1997;27:20-25. View abstract.
- Lis-Balchin, M. and Hart, S. A preliminary study of the effect of essential oils on skeletal and smooth muscle in vitro. J Ethnopharmacol 1997;58(3):183-187. View abstract.
- Lis-Balchin, M. and Hart, S. Studies on the mode of action of the essential oil of lavender (Lavandula angustifolia P. Miller). Phytother Res 1999;13(6):540-542. View abstract.
- Louis, M. and Kowalski, S. D. Use of aromatherapy with hospice patients to decrease pain, anxiety, and depression and to promote an increased sense of well-being. Am.J Hosp.Palliat.Care 2002;19(6):381-386. View abstract.
- Mills, J. J., Chari, R. S., Boyer, I. J., Gould, M. N., and Jirtle, R. L. Induction of apoptosis in liver tumors by the monoterpene perillyl alcohol. Cancer Res 3-1-1995;55(5):979-983. View abstract.
- Motomura N, Sakurai A, and Yotsuya Y. A psychophysiological study of lavender odorant. Memoirs of Osaka Kyoiku University, Series III 1999;47(2):281-287.
- Motomura, N., Sakurai, A., and Yotsuya, Y. Reduction of mental stress with lavender odorant. Percept.Mot.Skills 2001;93(3):713-718. View abstract.
- Nelson RR. In-vitro activities of five plant essential oils against methicillin- resistant Staphylococcus aureus and vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus faecium. J Antimicrob Chemother 1997;40(2):305-307. View abstract.
- Ostermann, T., Blaser, G., Bertram, M., Michalsen, A., Matthiessen, P. F., and Kraft, K. Effects of rhythmic embrocation therapy with solum oil in chronic pain patients: a prospective observational study. Clin J Pain 2008;24(3):237-243. View abstract.
- Ou, M. C., Hsu, T. F., Lai, A. C., Lin, Y. T., and Lin, C. C. Pain relief assessment by aromatic essential oil massage on outpatients with primary dysmenorrhea: a randomized, double-blind clinical trial. J Obstet.Gynaecol.Res 2012;38(5):817-822. View abstract.
- Perry, R., Terry, R., Watson, L. K., and Ernst, E. Is lavender an anxiolytic drug? A systematic review of randomised clinical trials. Phytomedicine. 6-15-2012;19(8-9):825-835. View abstract.
- Rademaker M. Allergic contact dermatitis from lavender fragrance in Difflam gel. Contact Dermatitis 1994;31(1):58-59. View abstract.
- Reddy, B. S., Wang, C. X., Samaha, H., Lubet, R., Steele, V. E., Kelloff, G. J., and Rao, C. V. Chemoprevention of colon carcinogenesis by dietary perillyl alcohol. Cancer Res 2-1-1997;57(3):420-425. View abstract.
- Reddy, K. K., Grossman, L., and Rogers, G. S. Common complementary and alternative therapies with potential use in dermatologic surgery: risks and benefits. J Am Acad Dermatol 2013;68(4):e127-e135. View abstract.
- Ren, Z. and Gould, M. N. Inhibition of ubiquinone and cholesterol synthesis by the monoterpene perillyl alcohol. Cancer Lett 1-30-1994;76(2-3):185-190. View abstract.
- Ripple GH, Gould MN, Stewart JA, and et al. Phase I clinical trial of perillyl alcohol administered daily. Clin Cancer Res 1998;4(5):1159-1164. View abstract.
- Ripple, G. H., Gould, M. N., Arzoomanian, R. Z., Alberti, D., Feierabend, C., Simon, K., Binger, K., Tutsch, K. D., Pomplun, M., Wahamaki, A., Marnocha, R., Wilding, G., and Bailey, H. H. Phase I clinical and pharmacokinetic study of perillyl alcohol administered four times a day. Clin Cancer Res 2000;6(2):390-396. View abstract.
- Saeki Y. The effect of foot-bath with or without the essential oil of lavender on the autonomic nervous system: a randomized trial. Complement Ther Med 2000;8(1):2-7. View abstract.
- Sakamoto, R., Minoura, K., Usui, A., Ishizuka, Y., and Kanba, S. Effectiveness of aroma on work efficiency: lavender aroma during recesses prevents deterioration of work performance. Chem Senses 2005;30(8):683-691. View abstract.
- Sakamoto, Y., Ebihara, S., Ebihara, T., Tomita, N., Toba, K., Freeman, S., Arai, H., and Kohzuki, M. Fall prevention using olfactory stimulation with lavender odor in elderly nursing home residents: a randomized controlled trial. J Am Geriatr.Soc 2012;60(6):1005-1011. View abstract.
- Sarrell, E. M., Cohen, H. A., and Kahan, E. Naturopathic treatment for ear pain in children. Pediatrics 2003;111(5 Pt 1):e574-e579. View abstract.
- Sayorwan, W., Siripornpanich, V., Piriyapunyaporn, T., Hongratanaworakit, T., Kotchabhakdi, N., and Ruangrungsi, N. The effects of lavender oil inhalation on emotional states, autonomic nervous system, and brain electrical activity. J Med Assoc Thai. 2012;95(4):598-606. View abstract.
- Sgoutas-Emch, S. Fox T. Preston M. Brooks C. Serber E. Stress management: aromatherapy as an alternative. Scientific Review of Alternative Medicine 2001;5(2):90-95.
- Sheikhan, F., Jahdi, F., Khoei, E. M., Shamsalizadeh, N., Sheikhan, M., and Haghani, H. Episiotomy pain relief: Use of Lavender oil essence in primiparous Iranian women. Complement Ther Clin Pract. 2012;18(1):66-70. View abstract.
- Shimada, K., Fukuda, S., Maeda, K., Kawasaki, T., Kono, Y., Jissho, S., Taguchi, H., Yoshiyama, M., and Yoshikawa, J. Aromatherapy alleviates endothelial dysfunction of medical staff after night-shift work: preliminary observations. Hypertens.Res 2011;34(2):264-267. View abstract.
- Toda, M. and Morimoto, K. Effect of lavender aroma on salivary endocrinological stress markers. Arch.Oral Biol. 2008;53(10):964-968. View abstract.
- Uehleke, B., Schaper, S., Dienel, A., Schlaefke, S., and Stange, R. Phase II trial on the effects of Silexan in patients with neurasthenia, post-traumatic stress disorder or somatization disorder. Phytomedicine. 6-15-2012;19(8-9):665-671. View abstract.
- Vakilian, K., Atarha, M., Bekhradi, R., and Chaman, R. Healing advantages of lavender essential oil during episiotomy recovery: a clinical trial. Complement Ther Clin Pract. 2011;17(1):50-53. View abstract.
- Woelk, H. and Schlafke, S. A multi-center, double-blind, randomised study of the Lavender oil preparation Silexan in comparison to Lorazepam for generalized anxiety disorder. Phytomedicine. 2010;17(2):94-99. View abstract.
- Woronuk, G., Demissie, Z., Rheault, M., and Mahmoud, S. Biosynthesis and therapeutic properties of Lavandula essential oil constituents. Planta Med 2011;77(1):7-15. View abstract.
- Xu, F., Uebaba, K., Ogawa, H., Tatsuse, T., Wang, B. H., Hisajima, T., and Venkatraman, S. Pharmaco-physio-psychologic effect of Ayurvedic oil-dripping treatment using an essential oil from Lavendula angustifolia. J Altern.Complement Med. 2008;14(8):947-956. View abstract.
- Yamada K, Kimaki Y, and Ashida Y. Anticonvulsive effects of inhaling lavender oil vapour. Biol Pharm Bull 1994;17(2):359-360. View abstract.
- Yip, Y. B. and Tse, S. H. An experimental study on the effectiveness of acupressure with aromatic lavender essential oil for sub-acute, non-specific neck pain in Hong Kong. Complement Ther Clin Pract 2006;12(1):18-26. View abstract.
- Yip, Y. B. and Tse, S. H. The effectiveness of relaxation acupoint stimulation and acupressure with aromatic lavender essential oil for non-specific low back pain in Hong Kong: a randomised controlled trial. Complement Ther.Med. 2004;12(1):28-37. View abstract.
- Abbasijahromi A, Hojati H, Nikooei S, et al. Compare the effect of aromatherapy using lavender and Damask rose essential oils on the level of anxiety and severity of pain following C-section: A double-blinded randomized clinical trial. J Complement Integr Med. 2019. View abstract.
- Abdelhakim AM, Hussein AS, Doheim MF, Sayed AK. The effect of inhalation aromatherapy in patients undergoing cardiac surgery: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Complement Ther Med. 2020;48:102256. View abstract.
- Ahmad R, Naqvi AA, Al-Bukhaytan HM, Al-Nasser AH, Baqer Al-Ebrahim AH. Evaluation of aromatherapy with lavender oil on academic stress: A randomized placebo controlled clinical trial. Contemp Clin Trials Commun. 2019;14:100346. View abstract.
- Akhondzadeh S, Kashani L, Fotouhi A, et al. Comparison of Lavandula angustifolia Mill. tincture and imipramine in the treatment of mild to moderate depression: a double-blind, randomized trial. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 2003;27:123-7. View abstract.
- Anderson C, Lis-Balchin M, Kirk-Smith M. Evaluation of massage with essential oils on childhood atopic eczema. Phytother Res 2000;14(6):452-6. View abstract.
- Arslan I, Aydinoglu S, Karan NB. Can lavender oil inhalation help to overcome dental anxiety and pain in children? A randomized clinical trial. Eur J Pediatr. 2020;179(6):985-992. View abstract.
- Bagheri-Nesami M, Espahbodi F, Nikkhah A, Shorofi SA, Charati JY. The effects of lavender aromatherapy on pain following needle insertion into a fistula in hemodialysis patients. Complement Ther Clin Pract. 2014;20(1):1-4. View abstract.
- Bagheri-Nesami M, Shorofi SA, Nikkhah A, Espahbodi F, Ghaderi Koolaee FS. The effects of aromatherapy with lavender essential oil on fatigue levels in haemodialysis patients: a randomized clinical trial. Complement Ther Clin Pract. 2016 Feb;22:33-7. View abstract.
- Bakhtiari S, Paki S, Khalili A, et al. Effect of lavender aromatherapy through inhalation on quality of life among postmenopausal women covered by a governmental health center in Isfahan, Iran: A single-blind clinical trial. Complement Ther Clin Pract 2019;34:46-50. doi: 10.1016/j.ctcp.2018.11.001. View abstract.
- Barker SC and Altman PM. A randomised, assessor blind, parallel group comparative efficacy trial of three products for the treatment of head lice in children--melaleuca oil and lavender oil, pyrethrins and piperonyl butoxide, and a "suffocation" product. BMC Dermatol 2010;10:6. View abstract.
- Barker SC and Altman PM. An ex vivo, assessor blind, randomised, parallel group, comparative efficacy trial of the ovicidal activity of three pediculicides after a single application--melaleuca oil and lavender oil, eucalyptus oil and lemon tea tree oil, and a "suffocation" pediculicide. BMC Dermatol 2011;11:14. View abstract.
- Bazrafshan MR, Jokar M, Shokrpour N, Delam H. The effect of lavender herbal tea on the anxiety and depression of the elderly: A randomized clinical trial. Complement Ther Med. 2020;50:102393. View abstract.
- Beyliklioglu A, Arslan S. Effect of lavender oil on the anxiety of patients before breast surgery. J Perianesth Nurs. 2019;34(3):587-593. View abstract.
- Bikmoradi A, Seifi Z, Poorolajal J, et al. Effect of inhalation aromatherapy with lavender essential oil on stress and vital signs in patients undergoing coronary artery bypass surgery: A single-blinded randomized clinical trial. Complement Ther Med. 2015;23(3):331-8. View abstract.
- Bingham LJ, Tam MM, Palmer AM, Cahill JL, Nixon RL. Contact allergy and allergic contact dermatitis caused by lavender: A retrospective study from an Australian clinic. Contact Dermatitis. 2019;81(1):37-42. View abstract.
- Buckle J. Use of aromatherapy as a complementary treatment for chronic pain. Altern Ther Health Med 1999;5:42-51. View abstract.
- Cheraghbeigi N, Modarresi M, Rezaei M, Khatony A. Comparing the effects of massage and aromatherapy massage with lavender oil on sleep quality of cardiac patients: A randomized controlled trial. Complement Ther Clin Pract. 2019;35:253-258. View abstract.
- Dale A, Cornwell S. The role of lavender oil in relieving perineal discomfort following childbirth: a blind randomized clinical trial. J Adv Nurs 1994;19(1):89-96. View abstract.
- Diaz A, Luque L, Badar Z, Kornic S, Danon M. Prepubertal gynecomastia and chronic lavender exposure: report of three cases. J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab. 2016 Jan;29(1):103-7. View abstract.
- Donelli D, Antonelli M, Bellinazzi C, Gensini GF, Firenzuoli F. Effects of lavender on anxiety: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Phytomedicine. 2019;65:153099. View abstract.
- Doroshyenko O, Rokitta D, Zadoyan G, et al. Drug cocktail interaction study on the effect of the orally administered lavender oil preparation silexan on cytochrome P450 enzymes in healthy volunteers. Drug Metab Dispos. 2013 May;41(5):987-93. View abstract.
- Electronic Code of Federal Regulations. Title 21. Part 182 -- Substances Generally Recognized As Safe. Available at: https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/CFRSearch.cfm?CFRPart=182
- Farshbaf-Khalili A, Kamalifard M, Namadian M. Comparison of the effect of lavender and bitter orange on anxiety in postmenopausal women: A triple-blind, randomized, controlled clinical trial. Complement Ther Clin Pract 2018;31:132-8. View abstract.
- Fetrow CW, Avila JR. Professional's Handbook of Complementary & Alternative Medicines. 1st ed. Springhouse, PA: Springhouse Corp., 1999.
- Franco L, Blanck TJ, Dugan K, Kline R, et al. Both lavender fleur oil and unscented oil aromatherapy reduce preoperative anxiety in breast surgery patients: a randomized trial. J Clin Anesth. 2016 Sep;33:243-89. View abstract.
- Genç F, Karadağ S, Kiliç Akça N, Tan M, Cerit D. The Effect of Aromatherapy on Sleep Quality and Fatigue Level of the Elderly: A Randomized Controlled Study. Holist Nurs Pract. 2020;34(3):155-162. View abstract.
- Generoso MB, Soares A, Taiar IT, Cordeiro Q, Shiozawa P. Lavender oil preparation (silexan) for treating anxiety: an updated meta-analysis. J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2017 Feb;37(1):115-17. View abstract.
- Ghods AA, Abforosh NH, Ghorbani R, Asgari MR. The effect of topical application of lavender essential oil on the intensity of pain caused by the insertion of dialysis needles in hemodialysis patients: A randomized clinical trial. Complement Ther Med. 2015;23(3):325-30. View abstract.
- Goel N, Kim H, Lao RP. An olfactory stimulus modifies nighttime sleep in young men and women. Chronobiol Int 2005;22(5):889-904. View abstract.
- Graham PH, Browne L, Cox H, Graham J. Inhalation aromatherapy during radiotherapy: results of a placebo-controlled double-blind randomized trial. J Clin Oncol 2003;21:2372-6. View abstract.
- Gray SG, Clair AA. Influence of aromatherapy on medication administration to residential-care residents with dementia and behavioral challenges. Am J Alzheimers Dis Other Demen 2002;17(3):169-74. View abstract.
- Hajhashemi V, Ghannadi A, Sharif B. Anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties of the leaf extracts and essential oil of Lavandula angustifolia Mill. J Ethnopharmacol 2003;89:67-71. View abstract.
- Hamzeh S, Safari-Faramani R, Khatony A. Effects of Aromatherapy with Lavender and Peppermint Essential Oils on the Sleep Quality of Cancer Patients: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2020;2020:7480204. View abstract.
- Hashemi SH, Hajbagheri A, Aghajani M. The effect of massage with lavender oil on restless leg syndrome in hemodialysis patients: a randomized controlled trial. Nurs Midwifery Stud. 2015 Dec;4(4):e29617. View abstract.
- Hassanzadeh M, Kiani F, Bouya S, Zarei M. Comparing the effects of relaxation technique and inhalation aromatherapy on fatigue in patients undergoing hemodialysis. Complement Ther Clin Pract. 2018;31:210-214. View abstract.
- Hay IC, Jamieson M, Ormerod AD. Randomized trial of aromatherapy. Successful treatment for alopecia areata. Arch Dermatol 1998;134:1349-52. View abstract.
- Henley DV, Lipson N, Korach KS, Bloch CA. Prepubertal gynecomastia linked to lavender and tea tree oils. N Eng J Med 2007;356:479-85. View abstract.
- Hirokawa K, Nishimoto T, Taniguchi T. Effects of lavender aroma on sleep quality in healthy Japanese students. Perceptual and Motor Skills 2012;114(1):111-22. View abstract.
- Holmes C, Hopkins V, Hensford C, et al. Lavender oil as a treatment for agitated behaviour in severe dementia: a placebo controlled study. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 2002;17(4):305-8. View abstract.
- Imura M, Misao H, Ushijima H. The psychological effects of aromatherapy-massage in healthy postpartum mothers. J Midwifery Womens Health 2006;51(2):e21-e27. View abstract.
- Kane FM, Brodie EE, Coull A, et al. The analgesic effect of odour and music upon dressing change. Br J Nurs 2004;13(19):S4-12. View abstract.
- Kang HJ, Nam ES, Lee Y, Kim M. How strong is the evidence for the anxiolytic efficacy of lavender?: Systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Asian Nurs Res (Korean Soc Nurs Sci). 2019;13(5):295-305. View abstract.
- Kang HY, Na SS and Kim YK. [Effects of oral care with essential oil on improvement in oral health status of hospice patients]. J Korean Acad Nurs 2010;40(4):473-481. View abstract.
- Karaman S, Karaman T, Tapar H, Dogru S, Suren M. A randomized placebo-controlled study of aromatherapy for the treatment of postoperative nausea and vomiting. Complement Ther Med 2019;42:417-21. doi: 10.1016/j.ctim.2018.12.019. View abstract.
- Karaman T, Karaman S, Dogru S, Tapar H, et al. Evaluating the efficacy of lavender aromatherapy on peripheral venous cannulation pain and anxiety: a prospective, randomized study. Complement Ther Clin Pract. 2016 May;23:64-8. View abstract.
- Karan NB. Influence of lavender oil inhalation on vital signs and anxiety: A randomized clinical trial. Physiol Behav. 2019;211:112676. View abstract.
- Kasper S, Gastpar M, Müller WE, et al. Lavender oil preparation Silexan is effective in generalized anxiety disorder--a randomized, double-blind comparison to placebo and paroxetine. Int J Neuropsychopharmacol. 2014 Jun;17(6):859-69. View abstract.
- Kazemzadeh R, Nikjoue R, Rostamnegad M, Norouzi H. Effect of lavender aromatherapy on menopause hot flushing: a crossover randomized clinical trial. J Chin Med Assoc. 2016 Sep;79(9):489-92. View abstract.
- Kianpour M, Mansouri A, Mehrabi T, Asghari G. Effect of lavender scent inhalation on prevention of stress, anxiety, and depression in the postpartum period. Iran J Nurs Midwifery Res. 2016 Mar-Apr;21(2):197-201. View abstract.
- Lee, S. Y. [The effect of lavender aromatherapy on cognitive function, emotion, and aggressive behavior of elderly with dementia]. Taehan Kanho Hakhoe Chi 2005;35(2):303-312. View abstract.
- Lehrner J, Marwinski G, Lehr S, et al. Ambient odors of orange and lavender reduce anxiety and improve mood in a dental office. Physiol Behav 2005;86(1-2):92-5. View abstract.
- Lewith GT, Godfrey AD, Prescott P. A single-blinded, randomized pilot study evaluating the aroma of Lavandula augustifolia as a treatment for mild insomnia. J Altern Complement Med 2005;11:631-7. View abstract.
- Lillehei AS, Halcón LL, Savik K, Reis R. Effect of Inhaled Lavender and Sleep Hygiene on Self-Reported Sleep Issues: A Randomized Controlled Trial. J Altern Complement Med. 2015;21(7):430-8. View abstract.
- Lin PW, Chan W, Ng BF, Lam LC. Efficacy of aromatherapy (Lavandula angustifolia) as an intervention for agitated behaviours in Chinese older persons with dementia: a cross-over randomized trial. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 2007;22:405-10. View abstract.
- Lytle J, Mwatha C, Davis KK. Effect of lavender aromatherapy on vital signs and perceived quality of sleep in the intermediate care unit: a pilot study. Am J Crit Care. 2014;23(1):24-9. View abstract.
- McCaffrey R, Thomas DJ, Kinzelman AO. The effects of lavender and rosemary essential oils on test-taking anxiety among graduate nursing students. Holist Nurs Pract 2009;23(2):88-93. View abstract.
- Mirbagher Ajorpaz N, Rahemi Z, Aghajani M, Hashemi SH. Effects of glycerin oil and lavender oil massages on hemodialysis patients' restless legs syndrome. J Bodyw Mov Ther. 2020;24(1):88-92. View abstract.
- Möller HJ, Volz HP, Dienel A, Schläfke S, Kasper S. Efficacy of Silexan in subthreshold anxiety: meta-analysis of randomised, placebo-controlled trials. Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 2017 Nov 17. doi: 10.1007/s00406-017-0852-4. [Epub ahead of print] View abstract.
- Moorman Li R, Gilbert B, Orman A,et al. Evaluating the effects of diffused lavender in an adult day care center for patients with dementia in an effort to decrease behavioral issues: a pilot study. J Drug Assess. 2017 Jan 23;6(1):1-5. View abstract.
- Morris N. The effects of lavender (Lavendula angustifolium) baths on psychological well-being: two exploratory randomised control trials. Complement Ther Med 2002;10:223-8. View abstract.
- Moss M, Cook J, Wesnes K, Duckett P. Aromas of rosemary and lavender essential oils differentially affect cognition and mood in healthy adults. Int J Neurosci 2003;113(1):15-38. View abstract.
- Muzzarelli L, Force M, Sebold M. Aromatherapy and reducing preprocedural anxiety: A controlled prospective study. Gastroenterol Nurs 2006;29(6):466-71. View abstract.
- Nasiri A, Hahmodi MA, Nobakht Z. Effect of aromatherapy massage with lavender essential oil on pain in patients with osteoarthritis of the knee: a randomized controlled clinical trial. Complement Ther Clin Pract. 2016 Nov;25:75-80. View abstract.
- Nasiri Lari Z, Hajimonfarednejad M, Riasatian M, et al. Efficacy of inhaled Lavandula angustifolia Mill. Essential oil on sleep quality, quality of life and metabolic control in patients with diabetes mellitus type II and insomnia. J Ethnopharmacol. 2020;251:112560. View abstract.
- Nikjou R, Kazemzadeh R, Rostamnegad M, Moshfegi S, Karimollahi M, Salehi H. The effect of lavender aromatherapy on the pain severity of primary dysmenorrhea: a triple-blind randomized clinical trial. Ann Med Health Sci Res. 2016 Jul-Aug;6(4):211-15. View abstract.
- Nord D, Belew J. Effectiveness of the essential oils lavender and ginger in promoting children's comfort in a perianesthesia setting. J Perianesth Nurs. 2009;24:307-12. View abstract.
- O'Connor DW, Eppingstall B, Taffe J, van der Ploeg ES. A randomized, controlled cross-over trial of dermally-applied lavender (Lavandula angustifolia) oil as a treatment of agitated behaviour in dementia. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2013;13:315. View abstract.
- Ozkaraman A, Dügüm Ö, Özen Yilmaz H, Usta Yesilbalkan Ö. Aromatherapy: The Effect of Lavender on Anxiety and Sleep Quality in Patients Treated With Chemotherapy. Clin J Oncol Nurs 2018;22(2):203-10. View abstract.
- Politano VT, McGinty D, Lewis EM, et al. Uterotrophic assay of percutaneous lavender oil in immature female rats. Int J Toxicol. 2013 Mar-Aor;32(2):123-9. View abstract.
- Prusinowska R, Smigielski KB. Composition, biological properties and therapeutic effects of lavender (Lavandula angustifolia L.). A review. Herba Polonica. 2014;60(2):56-66.
- Raisi Dehkordi Z, Hosseini Baharanchi FS, Bekhradi R. Effect of lavender inhalation on the symptoms of primary dysmenorrhea and the amount of menstrual bleeding: A randomized clinical trial. Complement Ther Med. 2014 Apr;22(2):212-9. doi: 10.1016/j.ctim.2013.12.011. Epub 2014 Jan 6. View abstract.
- Razaghi N, Aemmi SZ, Sadat Hoseini ASS, Boskabadi H, Mohebbi T, Ramezani M. The effectiveness of familiar olfactory stimulation with lavender scent and glucose on the pain of blood sampling in term neonates: A randomized controlled clinical trial. Complement Ther Med. 2020;49:102289. View abstract.
- Rho KH, Han SH, Kim KS, Lee MS. Effects of aromatherapy massage on anxiety and self-esteem in korean elderly women: a pilot study. Int J Neurosci 2006;116(12):1447-55. View abstract.
- S PK, Aafaque S, S S, N N. Effect of aromatherapy on dental anxiety among orthodontic patients: A randomized controlled trial. Cureus. 2019;11(8):e5306. View abstract.
- Sasannejad P, Saeedi M, Shoeibi A, et al. Lavender essential oil in the treatment of migraine headache: a placebo-controlled clinical trial. Eur Neurol 2012;67(5):288-91. View abstract.
- Sentürk A, Tekinsoy Kartin P. The effect of lavender oil application via inhalation pathway on hemodialysis patients' anxiety level and sleep quality. Holist Nurs Pract 2018;32(6):324-35. doi: 10.1097/HNP.0000000000000292. View abstract.
- Smith DS, Helzner EC, Nuttall CE Jr, et al. Failure of zinc gluconate in treatment of acute upper respiratory tract infections. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 1989;33:646-8. View abstract.
- Snow LA, Hovanec L, Brandt J. A controlled trial of aromatherapy for agitation in nursing home patients with dementia. J Altern Complement Med 2004;10(3):431-7. View abstract.
- Soden K, Vincent K, Craske S, et al. A randomized controlled trial of aromatherapy massage in a hospice setting. Palliat Med 2004;18(2):87-92. View abstract.
- Soltani R, Soheilipour S, Hajhashemi V, Asghari G, Bagheri M, Molavi M. Evaluation of the effect of aromatherapy with lavender essential oil on post-tonsillectomy pain in pediatric patients: a randomized controlled trial. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2013 Sep;77(9):1579-81. doi: 10.1016/j.ijporl.2013.07.014. View abstract.
- Tugut N, Demirel G, Baser M, Ata EE, Karakus S. Effects of lavender scent on patients' anxiety and pain levels during gynecological examination. Complement Ther Clin Pract 2017 Aug;28:65-9. View abstract.
- Varaei S, Jalalian Z, Yekani Nejad MS, Shamsizadeh M. Comparison the effects of inhalation and massage aromatherapy with lavender and sweet orange on fatigue in hemodialysis patients: a randomized clinical trial. J Complement Integr Med. 2020. View abstract.
- Varma S, Blackford S, Statham BN, Blackwell A. Combined contact allergy to tea tree oil and lavender oil complicating chronic vulvovaginitis. Contact Dermatitis 2000;42:309-10. View abstract.
- Vaziri F, Shiravani M, Najib FS, Pourahmad S, Salehi A, Yazdanpanahi Z. Effect of lavender oil aroma in the early hours of postpartum period on maternal pains, fatigue, and mood: a randomized clinical trial. Int J Prev Med. 2017 May 4;8:29. View abstract.
- Velasco-Rodríguez R, Pérez-Hernández MG, Maturano-Melgoza JA, et al. The effect of aromatherapy with lavender (Lavandula angustifolia) on serum melatonin levels. Complement Ther Med. 2019;47:102208. View abstract.
- Watson K, Hatcher D, Good A. A randomised controlled trial of Lavender (Lavandula Angustifolia) and Lemon Balm (Melissa Officinalis) essential oils for the treatment of agitated behaviour in older people with and without dementia. Complement Ther Med 2019;42:366-73. doi: 10.1016/j.ctim.2018.12.016. View abstract.
- Xiong M, Li Y, Tang P, Zhang Y, Cao M, Ni J, Xing M. Effectiveness of aromatherapy massage and inhalation on symptoms of depression in Chinese community-dwelling older adults. J Altern Complement Med. 2018;24(7):717-724. View abstract.
- Yap WS, Dolzhenko AV, Jalal Z, Hadi MA, Khan TM. Efficacy and safety of lavender essential oil (Silexan) capsules among patients suffering from anxiety disorders: A network meta-analysis. Sci Rep. 2019;9(1):18042. View abstract.
- Yazdkhasti M, Pirak A. The effect of aromatherapy with lavender essence on severity of labor pain and duration of labor in primiparous women. Complement Ther Clin Pract. 2016 Nov;25:81-86. View abstract.
Have you ever purchased LAVENDER?
Did you or will you purchase this product in-store or online?
Where did you or where do you plan to purchase this product?
Where did you or where do you plan to purchase this product?
What factors influenced or will influence your purchase? (check all that apply)
Where did you or where do you plan to purchase this product?
Do you buy vitamins online or instore?
What factors are most important to you? (check all that apply)