Activity at the office
If your job includes lots of sitting, try adding these short bursts of activity to your day:
- Use your commute to do some extra walking. Park
several blocks away, or get off the bus a few stops early.
- Use the
stairs instead of the elevator, at least for a few floors.
holding meetings with colleagues during a walk inside or outside the building.
- Go the extra distance when possible: Get your coffee on another
floor (use the stairs) or use the restroom that's the farthest from your
- If you need to speak to a coworker, walk to that person's
office or station rather than using e-mail or the phone.
- Use your
morning and afternoon breaks to take quick 15-minute walks.
Coaching and teaching
If you are bored with a sport or activity that you once enjoyed,
coaching or giving instruction can renew your interest.
- Youth leagues for organized sports are often
seeking good coaches.
- Take classes to become a certified fitness leader.
- If you cycle, offer to lead a group of schoolchildren on a
bike ride to teach bicycle safety.
- Offer to lead a walking group.
Competition can be a good motivator because:
- It gives you a specific and measurable goal to
work toward, such as walking or running a 5 km or 10 km race.
- Learning the details of a new course or event and
then preparing for it can restore the excitement and challenge that's gone from
more familiar competitions.
Helping to plan or organize a competitive event instead of entering
it can provide friendship and fun with others interested in the same activity.
Cross-training is the combination of various activities to spread
the work among various muscle groups. Cross-training has some important
- It prevents boredom by providing variety. It
can help you break out of a slump.
- It helps you maintain balance
among your various muscle groups. For instance, runners who have developed
powerful leg muscles might cross-train to strengthen the upper body, which does
not get a good workout from running.
- It reduces the risk of
injuries because the same muscles are not being stressed in the same way during
Some exercise machines, such as elliptical cross-trainers, can help
you cross-train. Or you can use exercise machines that give variety to your
program by working muscle groups that aren't heavily used in your primary