Health & Fitness News & Features
Want a Better Workout? Just Add Gravity
- Exercise: The Surgery Secret Weapon More Doctors Recommend
November 9, 2023 — Physical activity is proving to be one of the best ways to prepare the body for going under the knife.
- Just 22 Minutes of Walking Can Offset Health Risks of All-Day Sitting
October 25, 2023 — To combat the health risks of sitting at a desk all day or indulging in an all-day Netflix binge, head out for a brisk 22-minute walk.
- Fitness for People in Wheelchairs
People who use wheelchairs can benefit from exercise. Learn seated fitness tips to boost your quality of life and improve your health.
- Just 4,000 Steps Per Day Translates to a Longer Life: Study
August 9, 2023 — A new study suggests that it takes far less than 10,000 steps a day to have a profound impact on your health. The minimum number is actually less than 5,000 steps per day to start reducing the risk of early death.
- As Injuries from Pickleball Surge, Here's How to Play Safely
July 24, 2023 — The adage “it’s all fun and games until someone gets hurt” readily applies to pickleball, as research shows medical costs of pickleball will top $377 million this year alone.
- Your Heart Benefits Even If You Exercise as a ‘Weekend Warrior’
July 19, 2023 — A new study has encouraging news for weekend warriors: It’s the amount of exercise, not the pattern of exercise, that counts, even if the workouts aren’t evenly distributed over the week.
- Get the Benefits of Exercise Without Breaking a Sweat
July 14, 2023 — New research suggests that light physical activity -- like washing dishes or slow walking -- could be key to good health.
- Rethinking the Goal of 10,000 Steps a Day
April 21, 2023 — A new study rejects the idea that you need 10,000 daily steps to lower all-cause and cardiovascular death. Instead, people who walked at least 8,000 steps 1 to 2 days per week were less likely to die within 10 years.
- Exercise Is Even Better in Nature, Research Says
April 12, 2023 — Take exercise outside to nature if you want greater benefits, including mental clarity and motivation, new research into “green exercise” suggests.
- Study Suggests the Least Exercise People Can Do for Health
March 29, 2023 — A new study found that people who take 8,000 steps a day once or twice per week get almost all the cardiovascular health benefits as people who do it almost every day.
- People Took Fewer Steps After Pandemic Started, Study Shows
March 20, 2023 — People took fewer daily steps after the start of the COVID-19 pandemic and haven’t gotten back up to their old numbers yet, according to a study published Monday in JAMA Open Network.
- Extra 20 Minutes of Daily Exercise Cuts Hospitalization Risk: Study
February 27, 2023 — An extra 20 minutes of moderate-to-vigorous exercise per day helps keep middle-aged and older people out of the hospital for serious medical conditions, a study published in JAMA Open Network says.
- Midday Exercise More Beneficial Than Morning Workouts: Study
February 22, 2023 — People who engaged in midday exercise lowered their risk of premature death more than people who exercised in the morning or in the evening, a new study shows.
- Exercise Training Reduces Liver Fat, Even Without Weight Loss
February 13, 2023 — Exercise training can lead to a significant reduction in liver fat for patients with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD), which is a leading cause of liver disease worldwide, according to a new study published in the American Journal of Gastroenterology.
- Cardiac Arrest Risk Low for Active Seniors During Sports
January 30, 2023 — Adults ages 65 and over who engage in regular physical activity are at low risk of sports-related sudden cardiac arrest, a new study suggests.
- Nearly Half of Americans Don’t Get Enough Physical Activity: CDC
January 27, 2023 — Most American adults are not meeting physical activity guidelines, the CDC said this week.
- Climbing Back: One Woman's Triumph After Near-Fatal Injury
January 26, 2023 — After a near-fatal accident left Melissa Strong's fingers a mangled, charred mess, the climber was told her days on the rock were over. Her story is a testament to determination in the face of grievous injury, and the importance of physical activity and mindset in any recovery.
- Belly Bulge Linked to Being Frail Later in Life: Study
January 24, 2023 — Managing belly bulge earlier in life could help prevent becoming medically frail, which is a major health risk for the elderly, according to a new study from Norway.
- Little-Used Fitness Measure Could Be Key to Exercise Results
January 6, 2023 — Crafting exercise programs around a long-ignored measure of fitness could help us more accurately predict health outcomes, enabling doctors to prescribe exercise as medicine.
- The Real Reason You’re Not Motivated to Exercise
January 4, 2023 — The difference between an active person and a sedentary one could come down to the microbes that live in our gut.
- NFL Player May Face Neurological Risks After Cardiac Arrest
January 3, 2023 — Buffalo Bills safety Damar Hamlin experienced cardiac arrest and is listed in critical condition at a Cincinnati hospital. After receiving CPR and oxygen assistance for several minutes, experts are sharing what can happen if your brain loses oxygen for an extended period.
- Top 9 Benefits of Exercise (and How Much to Do)
Exercise has significant benefits for your body and mind. Here are the top nine benefits of regular physical activity and exercise.
- How Fitness Trackers Will Help Us Keep an Eye on Disease
December 12, 2022 — A new study suggests that Fitbit data – including heart rate and step count – could serve as proxy for important clinical metrics, providing key insights to help treat chronic disease.
- Short Bursts of Physical Activity Could Prolong Your Life: Study
December 9, 2022 — People who exert themselves for 1 or 2 minutes a few times daily while climbing stairs, walking to work, or doing routine tasks around the house can greatly reduce their risk of heart disease and cancer, according to a new study.
- Don’t Lift Weights – Lower Them Instead
December 6, 2022 — New research suggests you can focus on lowering the load, and cheat on the lifting part, without sacrificing results.
- Are You Fit for Your Age?
Learn what it means to be fit, how to get there, and what benchmarks you should use to determine if you’re on track for your age.
- We Need to Talk about Body Image in Female Athletes
Many female athletes struggle with body image, and it can put their physical and mental health at risk.
- Chair Yoga Poses
A chair yoga practice provides many of the benefits of yoga practiced on the mat and may be an option if you have mobility issues or health concerns.
- Strength Exercises for Tennis
Learn about strength training exercises for tennis players.
- Home Workout: Equipment You Need
Learn about the equipment you need to work out at home, from the affordable to more expensive options.
- How to Train for a Triathlon
Are you interested in completing a triathlon? Read about how to train and prepare here.
- How To Train for a 10K
Are you inspired to run a 10K? Learn about how to train and complete a 10k running event.
- How to Train for a Half-Marathon
Knowing how to train for a half-marathon will help prevent injury and burnout as you work towards your goal.
- How to Train for a Marathon
Need to get ready for a marathon? Learn more about getting started and building a training schedule to prepare.
- How to Choose a Personal Trainer
Learn what to look for while searching for a personal trainer.
- How To Use a Foam Roller
Looking for a way to relieve muscle tension? Try using a foam roller.
- How to Start an At-Home Yoga Practice
Have you always wanted to start a yoga practice at home? Read along to learn more and get some tips on how.
- Best Exercises for Leg Muscles
Learn about the best exercises to build leg strength.
- Best Exercises for Arms
Learn about the best exercises to build arm strength.
- Health Benefits of Tennis
Find out how playing tennis can be beneficial for your health.
- Most Common Tennis Injuries
Learn about the most common tennis injuries and ways to help prevent them.
- How to Choose a Home Elliptical Machine
Looking to add to your home workout routine? Learn about buying an elliptical machine.
- How to Choose a Bike Helmet
Learn what to look for if you’re shopping for a bike helmet.
- How to Choose a Bike
Struggling to find the perfect bike? Find out about the types of bikes, biking, and what to consider as you shop.
- How to Stretch Your Glutes
Struggling with your back, neck, shoulders, or legs? You could benefit from frequent or deep leg stretching. Learn more about why and how.
- How to Choose Water Shoes
Having a problem choosing the best water shoes? Learn some tips on how to choose water shoes.
- How to Stretch Your Shoulders
Step-by-step tips on how to stretch your shoulders.
- How to Do a No-Equipment Whole Body Workout
Learn about the benefits of exercising without weights and five exercises you can do from anywhere, including modifications.
- How to Do Squats, Lunges, and Hip Bridges
Looking to add new moves to your workout? Try squats, lunges, hip bridges.