Have you ever noticed how you breathe
when you feel relaxed? The next time you are relaxed, take a moment to notice
how your body feels. Or think about how you breathe when you first wake up in
the morning or just before you fall asleep. Breathing exercises can help you
relax, because they make your body feel like it does when you are already
Deep breathing is one of the best ways to lower stress in
the body. This is because when you breathe deeply it sends a message to your
brain to calm down and relax. The brain then sends this message to your body.
Those things that happen when you are stressed, such as increased heart rate,
fast breathing, and high blood pressure, all decrease as you breathe deeply to
- The way you breathe affects your whole body.
Breathing exercises are a good way to relax, reduce tension, and relieve
- Breathing exercises are easy to learn. You can do them
whenever you want, and you don't need any special tools or equipment to do
- You can do different exercises to see which work best for
If you want to try other relaxation techniques,
see the topics:
- Stress Management: Doing Guided Imagery to Relax.
- Stress Management: Doing Meditation.
- Stress Management: Doing Progressive Muscle Relaxation.
- Stress Management: Practicing Yoga to Relax.
- Stress Management: Relaxing Your Mind and Body.