Depression - Living With Depression
Remember the basics
- Get regular exercise. People who are fit usually have less anxiety, depression, and stress than people who aren't fit.8 Even something as easy as walking can help you feel better.
- Eat a balanced diet. This helps your body deal with tension and stress.
- Get enough sleep. A good night's sleep can help mood and stress levels. Avoid sleeping pills unless your doctor prescribes them.
- Deal with stress. Too much stress can help trigger depression.
- Avoid drinking alcohol or using illegal drugs or medicines that have not been prescribed to you. Having a substance abuse problem makes treating depression harder. Both problems need to be treated.
- Prevent depression from coming back. Take your medicine as your doctor advises. Depression often returns if you stop taking your medicine or don't take it as your doctor advises.
WebMD Medical Reference from Healthwise
November 14, 2014
This information is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor.
Healthwise disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on this
© 1995-2015 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.