Understanding Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) -- Diagnosis and Treatment
Home Remedies for Seasonal Affective Disorder
- Take a walk at lunchtime when the sun is high. Be outdoors as often as you can.
- Exercise as much as you are able.
- Take winter vacations in places with long days.
- Increase the natural light in your home by trimming low-lying branches near the house and hedges around windows.
- Paint your walls with lighter colors.
- Keep warm and enjoy the fun aspects of winter - such as wood fires, books, music.
- If all else fails and you can manage it, spend time in a sunnier climate.
- Impairment of quality of life
- Loss of job, productivity
- Breakdown of family, marriage, and/or relationships
- Substance abuse and its complications
- Violent behavior (rare)
Joseph Goldberg, MD on April 12, 2014
© 2014 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.