Top 10 Type-2 Superfoods
Keep these wonder ingredients on your shopping list and in your pantry.
"Eat colorful fruits and veggies, herbs, and spices. Not much meat. Fresh food when possible. Worry about eating healthy foods in moderation." -- DeadManWalking57, WebMD community member
Recipes: Super Meals
Add these superfood-rich recipes to your regular repertoire.
Crunchy Fruit and Yogurt Breakfast Parfait
This breakfast or anytime parfait is a nutritional trifecta, packed with three superfoods: nuts, berries, and whole grains. Together they help normalize blood sugar levels and keep you feeling full.
Makes 6 servings
3 ½ cups old-fashioned oats
1 ½ cups finely chopped almonds, walnuts, and pecans
½ cup maple syrup
pinch of salt
1 tsp allspice
1. Mix all ingredients together, stirring well to combine.
2. Line a jelly roll pan with parchment paper. Spread granola on pan and bake at 325ºF 30–40 minutes, turning once, until golden brown.
3 cups fresh or frozen fruit without added sugar (thawed)
3 cups nonfat plain Greek yogurt
⅔ cup Nutty Granola (recipe above)
1. In a medium bowl, combine all the fruit.
2. Layer ¼ cup yogurt in 6 tall clear parfait glasses, and top with ¼ cup fruit and 1 tbsp Nutty Granola; repeat once more in each glass.
3. Serve immediately.
202 calories, 14 g protein, 28 g carbohydrate, 4 g fat, 5 g fiber, 18 g sugar, 46 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 19%
Sweet Potato Pecan Pancakes
Once you taste these delicious pancakes, loaded with disease-fighting antioxidants, you won't make them any other way. Portion the batter to yield two pancakes per serving, and top with reduced-calorie syrup and crunchy nuts to start your day.
Makes 6 servings
1 lb sweet potatoes, roasted, peeled, and mashed
2 cups skim milk
2 large eggs, beaten
4 tbsp reduced-calorie pancake syrup, divided
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp pumpkin-pie spice
¼ tsp salt
¼ cup chopped pecans, toasted
1. Place sweet potatoes, milk, eggs, 1 tbsp pancake syrup, and vanilla extract in a medium bowl and blend thoroughly.
2. In a separate bowl, sift together flours, baking powder, pumpkin-pie spice, and salt.