Mommy Makeovers: Lighten Kids' Favorite Foods
Try these healthier versions of family favorites
5 Quick Makeovers continued...
4. French fries
- Choose lower-fat frozen French fries.
- Bake them instead of frying.
- Complement this side dish with a fruit and a vegetable, so the kids don't
overdo the fries.
BEFORE: 245 calories, 12 g fat, 5.6 g saturated fat, 0.8 g fiber per 3-ounce
AFTER: 122 calories, 4 g fat, 0.5 g saturated fat, 1 g fiber per 3-ounce
SAVINGS: 23 calories, 8 g fat, 5.1 g saturated fat, plus 0.2 g fiber added!
5. Mexican dishes
- Use reduced-fat Jack and/or cheddar cheese,
- Work in beans every chance you get.
- Use extra-lean meat when the recipe calls for it (super-lean ground beef or
ground sirloin, skinless chicken breast, lean pork trimmed of visible
- Use fat-free or light sour cream instead of regular.
- Work in whole grains and vegetables when possible (such as brown rice,
whole-wheat tortillas, tomatoes, green peppers, etc.).
And now for the Mommy Makeovers recipes!
Easy French Bread Pizza
Journal as: 1 1/2 slices bread + 1 ounce regular or low-fat
cheese + 1/4 cup vegetables without added fat
This is a quick alternative to frozen pizza. They're easy for kids to
assemble; then Mom or Dad can broil them.
2 French-bread sandwich rolls, split in half
Olive oil or canola cooking spray
1 teaspoon Italian herb seasoning
1/2 cup bottled pizza sauce (or substitute marinara sauce)
3/4 cup shredded, reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
3/4 cup shredded, part-skim mozzarella cheese
Assorted vegetable toppings:
Chopped green onions
- Preheat broiler.
- Spray the tops of the French-bread roll halves with canola or olive oil
cooking spray, then sprinkle the Italian seasoning over the top of each.
- Broil bread halves until lightly brown on top (watch carefully).
- Spread 1/8 cup pizza sauce over each half, then sprinkle 1/4 of the cheddar
cheese and 1/4 of the mozzarella over each bread half.
- Arrange any vegetables you choose on top of the cheese.
- Broil until the cheese is melted and bubbly (about 2 minutes).
Yield: 4 servings
Per serving (without the vegetable toppings): 189 calories, 12
g protein, 20 g carbohydrate, 6.5 g fat, 4.3 g saturated fat, 15 mg
cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 430 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 36%.