Skip to content

    Schizophrenia Health Center

    Font Size

    Helping Your Loved One Get Schizophrenia Treatment

    Get Help in an Emergency

    In an emergency, you may need help from a professional.

    First, call the police or 911. Explain the situation so they send someone trained to deal with it. "It takes the pressure off you and doesn't put you in the 'bad cop' position," Krishna says.

    Some states will send a mobile crisis unit or psychiatric emergency team, often called a PET or SMART Team, to your house. The team often has a social worker or psychologist who can assess and de-escalate the situation.

    If your loved one is calm and doesn't need to be hospitalized, the team will talk to him about getting treatment on his own. Or they may bring him to the hospital with the help of police.

    Involuntary Hospitalization

    In some situations, your loved one may need to get treatment in a hospital even though he doesn't want to go. You may hear this referred to as "involuntary hospitalization" or "involuntary commitment."

    "Laws governing involuntary commitment differ from state to state," Reiss says. Most states only allow involuntary hospitalization if someone with schizophrenia is in one of these situations:

    • An immediate danger to himself or others
    • "Gravely impaired" and unable to function (for example, being unable to provide basic things for himself, like food, clothing, and shelter).

    If your loved one is in danger, a psychiatric "hold" is placed. That means the hospital is authorized to keep him for a certain period of time. The length of time and who can write the hold varies from state to state. It's important so doctors can keep him safe, watch him closely, and rule out or treat agitated or threatening behavior and medical or substance abuse problems.

    More Ways to Get Help

    Besides involuntary hospitalization, there are other options for a patient who refuses treatment. The choices vary depending on where you live:

    • Outpatient commitment. When he gets out of the hospital, a court order requires him to stick with treatment or he will be sent back to the hospital. This is sometimes referred to as "assisted outpatient treatment," or AOT.
    • Conservatorship. The court gives a family member or guardian the right to make medical and legal decisions for the person with schizophrenia.
    • Assertive case management. A team of professionals will go to your loved one's house if he doesn't go to his appointments.
    • Advance directives. These are legal documents, written when a person is in a competent state of mind, that outline the treatment he wants if he later loses his capacity to make reasonable and informed health care decisions.
    • Court-ordered treatment. In some situations after a person has been arrested, a judge may offer him treatment in a residential program as an alternative to prison.
    1 | 2
    Reviewed on March 26, 2014

    Today on WebMD

    vincent van gogh
    Famous faces you may recognize.
    Be aware of these warning signs.
    man with blurred face
    The real truth on this condition.
    dreamy psychodelic house and trees
    Types and causes.
    depressed woman
    Mental Health Psychotic Disorders
    Schizophrenia What Increases Your Risk
    mother and daughter
    boy hiding under blanket
    male patient with doctor
    introverted girl
    Recognizing Suicidal Behavior