The larger the ovarian cyst is, the more likely it is to cause symptoms. When symptoms occur, they may include:
- Frequent urination, if a large cyst is pressing against your bladder.
- Abdominal (belly) pain.
- Menstrual period changes.
- Weight gain.
More severe symptoms may develop if the cyst has twisted (torsion), is bleeding, or has ruptured. See your doctor immediately if you have any of the following pain, shock, or bleeding symptoms:
- Sudden, severe abdominal or pelvic pain
- Nausea and vomiting
- Sudden faintness, dizziness, and weakness
- Vaginal bleeding or symptoms of shock from heavy bleeding (hemorrhage)
There are many other conditions that cause signs or symptoms of a functional ovarian cyst. This is why it's important to have any unusual pelvic symptoms checked and to have a pelvic exam.