Next Slideshow Title
IMAGES PROVIDED BY:
1) Large inset: marilyna / Thinkstock, small inset: Arx0nt / Thinkstock, background: tomap49 / Thinkstock
2) Inset photos, clockwise from top left: Ablestock.com / Thinkstock, Shaiith / Thinkstock, baibaz / Thinkstock (dairy), piyaset / Thinkstock, Tatiana Volgutova / Thinkstock, Background: stuartbur / Thinkstock
3) kazoka30 / Thinkstock
4) etiennevoss / Thinkstock
5) AlexPro9500 / Thinkstock
6) JulijaDmitrijeva / Thinkstock
7) (Left to right) debyaho / Thinkstock, robynmac / Thinkstock, Magone / Thinkstock
8) toeytoey2530 / Thinkstock
10) joannatkaczuk / Thinkstock
11) Wavebreakmedia / Thinkstock
12) Bojan89 / Thinkstock
13) sturti / Thinkstock
14) vitapix / Thinkstock
ChooseMyPlate.gov: “Find Your Healthy Eating Style & Maintain It for a Lifetime,” “All About The Protein Foods Group,” “All About The Vegetable Group,” “All About The Dairy Group,” “All About The Grains Group.”
Calorie Control Council: “Get Moving! Calculator.”
Elizabeth Ward, registered dietitian; former spokesperson, Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
Harvard School of Public Health: “Carbohydrates and Blood Sugar.”
Mayo Clinic: “Hyperglycemia in diabetes.”
U.S. Department of Agriculture and U.S. Department of Health and Human Services: “2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans.”
Reviewed by Kathleen M. Zelman, MPH, RD, LD on September 04, 2020
This tool does not provide medical advice. See additional information.
THIS TOOL DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. It is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment and should not be relied on to make decisions about your health. Never ignore professional medical advice in seeking treatment because of something you have read on the WebMD Site. If you think you may have a medical emergency, immediately call your doctor or dial 911.