Next Slideshow Title
IMAGES PROVIDED BY:
(1) Getty Images
(2) Getty Images
(3) © Anne Ryan / zrImages / Corbis
(4) FoodCollection / Photolibrary
(5) FoodCollection / Photolibrary
(6) Food Image Source / StockFood Creative / Getty Images
(7) Getty Images
(8) FoodCollection / Photolibrary
(9) Getty Images
(10) Lew Robertson / StockFood Creative / Getty Images
(11) Michael Brauner / StockFood Creative / Getty Images
(12) Michael Rosenfeld / Photographer's Choice / Getty Images
(13) Patrick Ryan / Stone+ / Getty Images
(14) Ulrich Kerth / StockFood Creative / Getty Images
(15) Quentin Bacon / StockFood Creative / Getty Images
(16) James Baigrie / Riser / Getty Images
(17) Martin Hospach / fStop / Photolibrary
(18) Anthony Hall / iStockphoto
(19) Allison Michael Orenstein / The Image Bank / Getty Images
(20) David De Lossy / Photodisc / Photolibrary
American Heart Association: "Vegetarian Diets."
Vegetarian Resource Group: “The Market for Vegetarian Foods.”
WebMD Medical Reference from Healthwise: “Healthy Eating -- Vegetarian Diets and Organic Foods,” “Vegetarian Diets -- What is a vegetarian?” “Vegetarian Diets -- How can vegetarians eat a balanced diet?"
U.S. Department of Agriculture: "Vegetarian Diets."
WebMD Medical Reference: “The Good Protein Chart,” “Vitamin B-12.”
WebMD Weight Loss Clinic: “Eating Well the Veggie Way,” “The Part-Time Vegetarian.”
WebMD Feature: “Best-Tasting Vegetarian Foods.”
WebMD Expert Commentary from DrGreene.com: “Vegetarian Kids.”
Craig, W. Journal of the American Dietetic Association, July 2009.
Cabo, J. British Journal of Nutrition, June 2012.
Denis, I. Ageing Research Reviews, March 2013.
Reviewed by Christine Mikstas, RD, LD on May 29, 2020
This tool does not provide medical advice. See additional information.
THIS TOOL DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. It is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment and should not be relied on to make decisions about your health. Never ignore professional medical advice in seeking treatment because of something you have read on the WebMD Site. If you think you may have a medical emergency, immediately call your doctor or dial 911.