Call 911 if:
- The person is experiencing tingling.
- There is numbness or weakness in the hand or arm.
- The injury is near the sternum and the person is having shortness of breath or difficulty swallowing.
1. Get Medical Help Immediately
- Get the person to a hospital emergency room or to a health care provider.
2. Immobilize the Arm
- Avoid moving the affected arm.
- Hold the arm close to the body with the other arm or a sling with the hand raised higher than the elbow.
3. Reduce Pain and Swelling
- Apply ice for pain and swelling.
4. Follow Up
- The health care provider may put the arm in a sling to immobilize it and apply a figure eight strap to help maintain shoulder position. Surgery is rarely required.