Hydrochlorure de L-Lysine, L-2,6-diaminohexanoic acid, L-Lysine, L-Lysine HCl, L-Lysine Hydrochloride, L-Lysine Monohydrochloride, Lisina, Lys, Lysine Hydrochloride, Lysine Monohydrochloride, Monochlohydrate de L-Lysine, Monochlohydrate de Lysine.
Overview InformationLysine is an amino acid (building block of protein). People use it to make medicine.
Lysine is used for preventing and treating cold sores (caused by the virus called herpes simplex labialis). It is taken by mouth or applied directly to the skin for this use.
Lysine is also taken by mouth to improve athletic performance.
How does it work?Lysine seems to prevent the herpes virus from growing.
Uses & Effectiveness
Possibly Effective for
- Cold sores (herpes simplex labialis). Research suggests that lysine seems to reduce cold sores when taken by mouth and also when applied as a cream to the skin. However, some research suggests that it does not reduce the severity or recurrence of cold sores.
Insufficient Evidence for
- Canker sores. Early research suggests that taking 500 mg of lysine daily prevents canker sores and 4000 mg daily decreases the length of canker sores.
- Diabetes. Some evidence shows that taking lysine daily for 2 months does not affect bloodsugar levels in people with diabetes. However, other early research suggests that taking lysine twice daily for 2 months decreases blood sugar levels compared to before treatment in diabetes patients.
- Stress. Early research suggests that eating wheat that contains added lysine reduces stress in females and anxiety in males.
- Improving athletic performance.
Side Effects & SafetyLysine is POSSIBLY SAFE for most people when taken by mouth at recommended doses for up to one year, or when applied to the skin short-term. It can cause side effects such as stomach pain and diarrhea.
Special Precautions & Warnings:Pregnancy and breast-feeding: There is not enough reliable information about the safety of taking lysine if you are pregnant or breast feeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.
Kidney disease: There is one report of kidney disease linked with taking lysine supplements. If you have a kidney disease, check with your healthcare provider before taking lysine.
Osteoporosis: Using Lysine with calcium supplements might increase calcium absorption.
Intolerance to lysinuric protein: Lysine supplementation might cause diarrhea and stomach cramps in children who are intolerant to lysinuric protein.
Be cautious with this combination
Calcium supplements interacts with LYSINE
Lysine can increase how much calcium the body absorbs. Taking calcium along with lysine can increase the amount of calcium in the body. Avoid taking large amounts of calcium and lysine at the same time.
The following doses have been studied in scientific research:
- For cold sores (herpes simplex labialis): 1000 mg daily for 12 months and 1000 mg three times daily for 6 months.
- For treating cold sores (herpes simplex labialis): a specific combination of lysine plus zinc oxide and 14 other ingredients (Super Lysine Plus +) applied every 2 hours for 11 days has been used.
- [The effect of L-lysine added to diet on growth and development of normal children (author's transl)]. Zhonghua Yi.Xue.Za Zhi. 1982;62(1):11-12. View abstract.
- Doraiswamy, T. R., Singh, N., and Daniel, V. A. Effects of supplementing ragi (Eleusine coracana) diets with lysine or leaf protein on the growth and nitrogen metabolism of children. Br.J.Nutr. 1969;23(4):737-743. View abstract.
- Heinrichs, W., Fauth, U., Seufert, W., and Halmagyi, M. [Effect of L-lysine-induced amino acid imbalance on nitrogen balance in patients treated by total parenteral nutrition]. Infusionsther.Klin.Ernahr. 1987;14(6):252-255. View abstract.
- Kagan, C. Letter: Lysine therapy for herpes simplex. Lancet 1-26-1974;1(7848):137. View abstract.
- Matsuda, I., Arashima, S., Imanishi, Y., Yamamoto, J., Akaboshi, I., Shinozuka, S., and Nagata, N. Lysine intolerance in a variant form of citrullinemia. Pediatr.Res. 1979;13(10):1134-1136. View abstract.
- Metges, C. C., Eberhard, M., and Petzke, K. J. Synthesis and absorption of intestinal microbial lysine in humans and non-ruminant animals and impact on human estimated average requirement of dietary lysine. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 2006;9(1):37-41. View abstract.
- Miller, C. S. and Foulke, C. N. Use of lysine in treating recurrent oral herpes simplex infections. Gen.Dent. 1984;32(6):490-493. View abstract.
- Milman, N., Jessen, O., and Scheibel, J. [Lysine therapy of recurrent herpes simplex labialis]. Ugeskr.Laeger 10-22-1979;141(43):2960-2962. View abstract.
- Milman, N., Scheibel, J., and Jessen, O. Failure of lysine treatment in recurrent herpes simplex labialis. Lancet 10-28-1978;2(8096):942. View abstract.
- Pellett, P. L. and Ghosh, S. Lysine fortification: past, present, and future. Food Nutr.Bull. 2004;25(2):107-113. View abstract.
- Peltola, K., Heinonen, O. J., Nanto-Salonen, K., Pulkki, K., and Simell, O. Oral lysine feeding in gyrate atrophy with hyperornithinaemia--a pilot study. J.Inherit.Metab Dis. 2000;23(4):305-307. View abstract.
- Pereira, S. M., Begum, A., Jesudian, G., and Sundararaj, R. Lysine-supplemented wheat and growth of preschool children. Am.J.Clin.Nutr. 1969;22(5):606-611. View abstract.
- Perfect, M. M., Bourne, N., Ebel, C., and Rosenthal, S. L. Use of complementary and alternative medicine for the treatment of genital herpes. Herpes. 2005;12(2):38-41. View abstract.
- Smriga, M. and Torii, K. Metabolic interactions between restraint stress and L-lysine: the effect on urea cycle components. Amino.Acids 2003;24(4):435-437. View abstract.
- Tomblin, F. A., Jr. and Lucas, K. H. Lysine for management of herpes labialis. Am.J.Health Syst.Pharm. 2-15-2001;58(4):298-300, 304. View abstract.
- Torricelli, P., Fini, M., Giavaresi, G., Giardino, R., Gnudi, S., Nicolini, A., and Carpi, A. L-arginine and L-lysine stimulation on cultured human osteoblasts. Biomed.Pharmacother. 2002;56(10):492-497. View abstract.
- Vianey-Liaud, C., Divry, P., Poinas, C., and Mathieu, M. [Lysine metabolism in man]. Ann.Biol.Clin.(Paris) 1991;49(1):18-26. View abstract.
- Walther, F., Heine, W., Richter, I., and Wutzke, K. D. [Resorption and metabolic utilization of D-[alpha-15N]lysine and L-[alpha-15N]lysine after oral administration, with special reference to the metabolism of intestinal bacteria]. Biomed.Biochim.Acta 1987;46(11):803-808. View abstract.
- Williams, M. H. Facts and fallacies of purported ergogenic amino acid supplements. Clin Sports Med 1999;18(3):633-649. View abstract.
- Civitelli R, Villareal DT, Agnusdei D, et al. Dietary L-lysine and calcium metabolism in humans. Nutr 1992;8:400-5. View abstract.
- Connor JM. Our customers are our enemies: The lysine cartel of 1992-1995. Rev Indust Org. 2001;18:5-21.
- DiGiovanna JJ, Blank H. Failure of lysine in frequently recurrent herpes simplex infection. Treatment and prophylaxis. Arch Dermatol 1984;120:48-51. View abstract.
- Felzani G, , Spoletini I, , Convento A, , Di Lorenzo B, , Rossi P, , Miceli M, , Rosano G. Effect of lysine hyaluronate on the healing of decubitus ulcers in rehabilitation patients. Adv Ther. 2011 May;28(5):439-45. View abstract.
- Flodin NW. The metabolic roles, pharmacology, and toxicology of lysine. J Am Coll Nutr 1997;16:7-12. View abstract.
- Griffith RS, DeLong DC, Nelson JD. Relation of arginine-lysine antagonism to herpes simplex growth in tissue culture. Chemotherapy 1981;27:209-13. View abstract.
- Griffith RS, Norins A, Kagan C. A multicentered study of lysine therapy in Herpes simplex infection. Dermatologica 1978;156:257-67. View abstract.
- Griffith RS, Walsh DE, Myrmel KH, et al. Success of L-lysine therapy in frequently recurrent herpes simplex infection. Treatment and prophylaxis. Dermatologica 1987;175:183-90. View abstract.
- Hall SL, Greendale GA. The relation of dietary vitamin C intake to bone mineral density: results from the PEPI study. Calcif Tissue Int 1998;63:183-9. View abstract.
- Hamilton S, Odili J, Wilson GD, Kupsch JM. Reducing renal accumulation of single-chain Fv against melanoma-associated proteoglycan by coadministration of L-lysine. Melanoma Res. 2002 Aug;12(4):373-9. View abstract.
- Hlais S, , Reslan DR, , Sarieddine HK, , Nasreddine L, , Taan G, , Azar S, , Obeid OA. Effect of lysine, , vitamin B(6), , and carnitine supplementation on the lipid profile of male patients with hypertriglyceridemia: a 12-week, , open-label, , randomized, , placebo-controlled trial. Clin Ther. 2012 Aug;34(8):1674-82. View abstract.
- Krajcovicova-Kudlackova M, , Babinska K, , Valachovicova M. Health benefits and risks of plant proteins. Bratisl Lek Listy. 2005;106(6-7):231-4. View abstract.
- Lo JC, Chertow GM, Rennke H, Seifter JL. Fanconi's syndrome and tubulointerstitial nephritis in association with L-lysine ingestion. Am J Kidney Dis 1996;28:614-7. View abstract.
- Lukkarinen M, Näntö-Salonen K, Pulkki K, Aalto M, Simell O. Oral supplementation corrects plasma lysine concentrations in lysinuric protein intolerance. Metabolism. 2003 Jul;52(7):935-8. View abstract.
- McCune MA, Perry HO, Muller SA, O'Fallon WM. Treatment of recurrent herpes simplex infections with L-lysine monohydrochloride. Cutis 1984;34:366-73. View abstract.
- Messina V. Nutritional and health benefits of dried beans. Am J Clin Nutr. 2014 Jul;100 Suppl 1:437S-42S. View abstract.
- Milman N, Scheibel J, Jessen O. Lysine prophylaxis in recurrent herpes simplex labialis: a double-blind, controlled crossover study. Acta Derm Venereol 1980;60:85-7. View abstract.
- Natarajan Sulochana K., Lakshmi, S., Punitham, R., Arokiasamy, T., Sukumar, B., and Ramakrishnan, S. Effect of oral supplementation of free amino acids in type 2 diabetic patients-- a pilot clinical trial. Med Sci Monit. 2002;8(3):CR131-CR137. View abstract.
- Rajantie J, Simell O, Rapola J, Perheentupa J. Lysinuric protein intolerance: a two-year trial of dietary supplementation therapy with citrulline and lysine. J Pediatr. 1980 Dec;97(6):927-32. View abstract.
- Singh BB, Udani J, Vinjamury Sp, et al. Safety and effectiveness of an L-lysine, zinc, and herbal-based product on the treatment of facial and circumoral herpes. Altern Med Rev 2005;10:123-7. View abstract.
- Smriga M, Ghosh S, Mouneimne Y, et al. Lysine fortification reduces anxiety and lessens stress in family members in economically weak communities in Northwest Syria. Proc.Natl.Acad.Sci.U.S.A 6-1-2004;101(22):8285-8288. View abstract.
- Smriga M, Torii K. L-Lysine acts like a partial serotonin receptor 4 antagonist and inhibits serotonin-mediated intestinal pathologies and anxiety in rats. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003 Dec 23;100(26):15370-5. View abstract.
- Sulochana KN, Rajesh M, Ramakrishnan S. Insulin receptor tyrosine kinase activity in monocytes of type 2 diabetes mellitus patients receiving oral L-lysine. Indian J Biochem Biophys. 2001 Oct;38(5):331. View abstract.
- Thein DJ, Hurt WC. Lysine as a prophylactic agent in the treatment of recurrent herpes simplex labialis. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 1984;58:659-66. View abstract.
- Unni US, , Raj T, , Sambashivaiah S, , Kuriyan R, , Uthappa S, , Vaz M, , Regan MM, , Kurpad AV. The effect of a controlled 8-week metabolic ward based lysine supplementation on muscle function, , insulin sensitivity and leucine kinetics in young men. Clin Nutr. 2012 Dec;31(6):903-10. View abstract.
- Walsh DE, Griffith RS, and Behforooz A. Subjective response to lysine in the therapy of herpes simplex. J.Antimicrob.Chemother. 1983;12(5):489-496. View abstract.
- Wass C, , Klamer D, , Katsarogiannis E, , Pålsson E, , Svensson L, , Fejgin K, , Bogren IB, , Engel JA, , Rembeck B. L-lysine as adjunctive treatment in patients with schizophrenia: a single-blinded, , randomized, , cross-over pilot study. BMC Med. 2011 Apr 18;9:40. View abstract.
- Wright EF. Clinical effectiveness of lysine in treating recurrent aphthous ulcers and herpes labialis. Gen.Dent. 1994;42(1):40-42. View abstract.
- Wu G. Dietary requirements of synthesizable amino acids by animals: a paradigm shift in protein nutrition. J Anim Sci Biotechnol. 2014 Jun 14;5(1):34. View abstract.
- Zeinoddini A, , Ahadi M, , Farokhnia M, , Rezaei F, , Tabrizi M, , Akhondzadeh S. L-lysine as an adjunct to risperidone in patients with chronic schizophrenia: a double-blind, , placebo-controlled, , randomized trial. J Psychiatr Res. 2014 Dec;59:125-31. View abstract.
Have you ever purchased LYSINE?
Did you or will you purchase this product in-store or online?
Where did you or where do you plan to purchase this product?
Where did you or where do you plan to purchase this product?
What factors influenced or will influence your purchase? (check all that apply)
Where did you or where do you plan to purchase this product?
Do you buy vitamins online or instore?
What factors are most important to you? (check all that apply)