Healthy Steps: Get 30 Minutes of Walking
10,000 steps daily helps midlife women lose weight
WebMD News Archive
Getting the Figure continued...
At least 30 minutes of exercise daily is advised,
Thompson notes. And walking has become increasingly popular among women between
45 and 54 years old. "Clearly, walking is an important means for American
adults, and particularly women in their middle and older years."
Walking 10,000 steps is doable in 30 minutes' time, she
adds. It can have the added benefit of lowering blood pressure and blood
Her study does not show whether walking has similar
effects for men -- or for women in other age or ethnic groups, since all were
white women between 45 and 60 years old, she says. However, women in her study
had diverse body compositions.
A few ideas to help you get walking:
- Get a dog (so you'll have a good excuse to
- Use the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Park farther from the mall or the office.
- Take walking breaks during the work day.
- After work, take a fast walk around your neighborhood,
to get extra steps.
- Get that step bench out of the closet and step-walk to
your favorite TV show.
Soon enough, you'll be on top of that weight loss