The Stay-Alert Secret of Caffeine
Caffeine Might Show the Way to Better Sleep, Researchers Say
WebMD News Archive
Tips for Better Sleep
If medical problems aren't causing sleep trouble, these "sleep hygiene" tips might help:
- Stick to a regular bedtime schedule. Get out of bed at the same time each morning (even on weekends and holidays).
- Avoid napping during the day.
- Avoid stressful activities and vigorous exercise for two hours before going to bed.
- Before going to bed, try relaxation techniques, such as deep breathing, yoga, or meditation.
- Make sure your bedroom is dark, quiet, and cool. Use earplugs or eye shades if needed.
- Leave the bedroom if you can't sleep. Go into another room and read or do something relaxing and quiet.
- Exercise regularly.
- Avoid substances that contain caffeine (such as coffee, tea, soft drinks, or diet pills).
- Avoid alcohol and nicotine before bed.