Healthy Eating - Getting Started
2. Variety continued...
Along with giving you
nutrients, healthy foods also can give you pleasure. They can taste great and
be good for you at the same time.
sources of nutrients are:
- Unsaturated fats like olive and canola oil,
nuts, and fish.
- Carbohydrate from whole grains, fruits,
vegetables, legumes (peas, beans, and lentils), and low-fat milk products.
- Lean protein such as all types of fish, poultry without skin,
low-fat milk products, and legumes.
To work well, your body also needs
minerals, and water.
For more information
about nutrients, see:
In addition to nutrients, foods also contain
other things that are important for good
health. These include:
- Fiber, which
comes from plant foods like whole grains, fruits, vegetables, legumes, and
nuts. Fiber may help control blood sugar and cholesterol. It keeps your
intestines healthy and prevents
- Phytochemicals, which also come from
plants and may protect against cancer.
- Antioxidants, which also are in fruits
and vegetables. They protect your body from damage caused by
Moderation is your key to healthy, balanced eating.
If your favorite foods are high in fat, salt, sugar, or calories, limit how
often you eat them. Eat smaller servings, or look for healthy
And yes, you can have desserts and treats now and
then. All foods, if eaten in moderation, can be a part of healthy
For more information, see:
- Healthy Eating: Cutting Unhealthy Fats From Your Diet.
- Healthy Eating: Eating Less Sodium