If properly planned, vegetarian diets can provide all the nutrients you need. In addition to that, being a vegetarian can actually be better for you. In general, vegetarians:1
- Weigh less than people who eat meat.
- Are less likely to die of heart disease.
- Have lower cholesterol levels.
- Are less likely to get:
Good health could be related to a diet of mostly fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.
Keep a balance
As a vegetarian, you can still eat a balanced diet.
- Substitutes for
1 oz (28 g) of meat:
- ¼ cup cooked dried beans, peas, or lentils
- 1 egg or 2 egg whites, or ¼ cup egg substitute
- ½ oz (1 Tbsp) nuts or seeds
- ¼ cup tofu or tempeh
- 1 Tbsp peanut butter
- If you do not use milk, use soy milk fortified with calcium, vitamin D, and vitamin B12. Count 1 cup (8 fl oz) as one serving. You can also use fortified soy cheese or soy yogurt.