Doctors Who Treat Mental Illness
The following are some suggestions to help you find the right doctor for you:
- Talk to trusted friends, family, or clergy about professionals they may have seen or know.
- Ask another health care provider for a recommendation.
- Ask your health insurance company for a provider list.
- Use a referral service from a national professional organization for therapists or doctors.
- Call a local or national medical society or mental health organization.
- Look in the phone book under categories including social service organizations and counselors.
- Use Internet or web-based information sites to find mental health professionals who specialize in treating problems similar to those that you may be experiencing.
Prior to scheduling your first appointment, think about the things you would like to know about your potential new doctor and/or therapist. Questions you may want to ask about include:
- His or her education, licensure, and years in practice
- Fees, lengths of sessions, insurance coverage, policies around missed appointments, and office hours
- His or her availability in case of an emergency
- His or her treatment approach and philosophy
- His or her specialization by age group or particular disorder