Mind-Body Wellness - Healing Body and Mind
Ideas for mind-body wellness
- Relaxing your mind and body can help ease stress. It can also relieve anxiety, depression, and sleep problems. Try one or more of the following techniques to help you relax:
- Deep breathing is one of the best ways to lower stress. When you breathe deeply, it sends a message to your brain to calm down and relax. The brain then sends this message to your body.
- Guided imagery is a technique in which you imagine yourself in a setting that helps you feel calm and relaxed.
- Mindfulness-based stress reduction focuses your attention on things that are happening in the present moment. The idea is just to note what is happening without trying to change it.
- Progressive muscle relaxation involves tensing and relaxing each muscle group to reduce anxiety and muscle tension. If you have trouble falling asleep, this method may also help with sleep problems.
- Yoga includes breathing, meditation, and exercises, called postures or poses, that stretch the body.
- Laughter and humor make life richer and healthier. Laughter increases creativity, reduces pain, and speeds healing.
- Building resilience can help you cope. Being resilient means you're able to bounce back from difficult situations or problems.
- Tending to your spiritual wellness can help your mind-body wellness. Spiritual wellness can bring comfort and lend strength for handling life's challenges.
WebMD Medical Reference from Healthwise
November 14, 2014
This information is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor.
Healthwise disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on this
© 1995-2015 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.
Mind-Body Wellness Topics