Many Sleep-Deprived Americans Blame Stress
Sleeping Problems Affect Millions, and Health, Job Performance, and Relationships Often Suffer, Study Finds
WebMD News Archive
Nov. 12, 2010 -- Millions of Americans say they’re not getting enough sleep and that the lack of shut-eye affects their personal relationships, job performance, and mental and physical health, according to a new study.
A global survey of more than 30,000 people in 23 countries commissioned by the Philips Center for Health and Well-Being shows that people in the U.S. have one of the highest rates of sleep deprivation. The survey finds that 37% of Americans feel they don’t get enough sleep. Only France at 45% and Taiwan at 50% had higher incidences of sleep deprivation.
What’s Keeping Us From Sleeping?
So what’s the problem?
- 49% of Americans who don’t get enough sleep blame stress and worry.
- 38% say they are poor sleepers.
- 36% say they go to sleep late at night and get up very early.
And Americans realize that not getting enough sleep affects their lives.
- 57% say sleep deprivation is a factor in their level of physical health.
- 48% say lack of sleep affects their mental health.
- 46% say it affects their home life.
- 43% say it affects performance on the job.
- 41% report that it affects their relationships with others.
- 34% say it affects their level of community involvement.
Among key findings globally:
Americans, like people in most countries, report that they are dissatisfied with the amount of stress in their lives. In a question on stress in general, 66% of Americans said they worried about having enough money to pay bills. Other stressors:
- The economy, cited by 74% of Americans.
- 67% reported feeling stress over health care costs.
- 48% said job loss had left them stressed.
- 49% felt stressed about getting enough sleep.
- 32% mentioned their boss as a major stressor.
Philips says its global survey is intended to raise discussion levels about sleep, stress, and other issues that affect health and well-being. Royal Philips Electronics is a health-care company with more than 118,000 employees in more than 60 countries.