Bovine Whey Protein Concentrate, Concentré de Protéine de Petit-Lait Bovin, Fraction de Lactosérum, Fraction de Petit-Lait, Goat Milk Whey, Goat Whey, Isolat de Protéine de Lactosérum, Isolat de Protéine de Petit-Lait, Lactosérum de Lait de Chèvre, MBP, Milk Protein, Milk Protein Isolate, Mineral Whey Concentrate, Proteínas del Suero de la Leche, Protéine de Lactosérum, Protéine de Lait, Protéine de Petit-Lait, Whey, Whey Fraction, Whey Peptides, Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Hydrolysate, Whey Protein Isolate, WPC, WPI.<br/><br/>
Overview InformationWhey protein is the protein contained in whey, the watery portion of milk that separates from the curds when making cheese.
Whey protein is commonly used for improving athletic performance and increasing strength, but evidence to support these uses is mixed. Whey protein is also used to reverse weight loss in people with HIV and to help prevent allergic conditions in infants.
How does it work?Whey protein is a source of protein that might improve the nutrient content of the diet. Whey protein might also have effects on the immune system.
Uses & Effectiveness
Possibly Effective for
- Athletic performance. Most research shows that taking whey protein in combination with strength training increases lean body mass, strength, and muscle size in healthy young adults. Taking whey protein also appears to improve running speed and recovery from exercise in untrained adults. Whey protein seems to work as well as soy, chicken or beef protein for increasing muscle strength.
- Eczema. Research shows that infants who consume whey protein by mouth during the first 3-12 months of life have a lower risk of developing red, itchy skin by the age of 3 years.
- A condition associated with an increased risk for developing allergic reactions (atopic disease). Research shows that infants who consume whey protein by mouth during the first 3-12 months of life are less likely to be prone to allergies and allergic reactions compared to infants who receive standard formula. However, taking why protein might not be helpful for treating atopic diseases once they develop.
- Weight loss in people with HIV/AIDS. Some research shows that taking whey protein by mouth can help decrease weight loss in people with HIV.
- Red, scaly skin (plaque psoriasis). Some evidence shows that taking a specific whey protein extract daily for 8 weeks can reduce psoriasis symptoms.
Possibly Ineffective for
- A lung disease called chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Some research shows that taking a specific whey protein supplement daily for 6 weeks can improve shortness of breath but not lung function or quality of life in people with COPD. Other research suggests that taking whey protein supplements does not improve lung function, muscle function, or exercise in people with COPD.
- Osteoporosis. Research suggests that taking a drink containing whey protein daily for up to 2 years does not improve bone density in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis.
Insufficient Evidence for
- Muscle loss in the elderly. Adding whey protein to exercise seems to increase muscle in older people. However, it also works when it is taken with other compounds like creatine, fats, vitamins, or minerals.
- Asthma. Early research shows that taking a specific type of whey protein daily for 30 days does not improve lung function in children with asthma.
- Cancer. There is some evidence that taking whey protein might help reduce tumor size in some people with cancer that has spread.
- Memory and thinking skills (cognitive function). Early research shows that taking a small amount of whey protein does not improve memory or thinking skills in older adults. However, it might improve memory in older adults that are very tired.
- Cystic fibrosis. Early research suggests that taking whey protein daily for 28 days improves lung function in children, but not adults with cystic fibrosis.
- Diabetes. Early research shows that consuming a specific drink containing whey protein concentrate immediately before a meal decreases blood sugar in people with diabetes. However, taking whey protein daily and exercising daily does not seem to lower blood sugar over a longer time period.
- Asthma caused by exercise. Early research suggests that taking whey protein daily for 10 days improves lung function in people with asthma caused by exercise.
- Muscle damage caused by exercise. Whey protein might improve recovery from exercise and muscle damage from exercise. However, it does not seem to work for everyone.
- Liver disease (hepatitis). Early research suggests that taking a specific type of whey protein daily for 12 weeks can improve liver function in some people with hepatitis B. However, it does not appear to benefit people with hepatitis C.
- HIV/AIDS. Early research suggests that taking whey protein for 4 months does not improve immune function in children with HIV.
- Infections developed while in the hospital. Early research suggests that taking a specific whey protein supplement daily for up to 28 days has a similar effect on the rate of hospital-acquired infections as taking a combination of zinc, selenium, glutamine, and metoclopramide.
- High cholesterol. Early research suggests that taking whey protein daily while participating in weight lifting exercises does not reduce cholesterol levels or body fat in overweight men with high cholesterol.
- High blood pressure. Taking 28 grams of whey protein or 20 grams of hydrolyzed whey protein daily for 6-8 weeks can lower blood pressure in people with high blood pressure. But taking low amounts of whey protein (2.6 grams daily) doesn't have any benefit.
- Muscular disease (mitochondrial myopathies). Early research suggests that taking a whey protein supplement daily for one month does not improve muscle strength or quality of life in people with mitochondrial diseases.
- Liver disease not due to alcohol use (nonalcoholic steatohepatitis, NASH). Early research suggests that taking whey protein daily for 12 weeks can improve liver function in patients with NASH.
- Parkinson's disease. Some research shows that taking whey protein doesn't help Parkinson's disease symptoms.
- An ovary disorder known as polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). Early research suggests that taking a supplement containing whey protein daily for 2 months can reduce body weight, fat mass, and cholesterol in people with ovarian cysts. However, whey protein does not improve blood sugar and seems to decrease high-density lipoprotein (HDL or "good") cholesterol.
- Aching and stiffness caused by inflammation (polymyalgia rheumatica). Early research suggests that taking whey protein in a dairy product twice daily for 8 weeks does not improve muscle function, walking speed, or other movement tests in people with polymyalgia rheumatica.
- Weight loss. The effects of whey protein on weight loss seem to vary depending on whether it is used alone or along with dieting or exercise. Taking whey protein along with dieting might prevent the loss of lean muscle and increase the loss of body fat in people who are obese or overweight. This might improve overall body composition. But taking whey protein while dieting doesn't seem to increase overall weight loss in most people who are obese or overweight. It's too soon to know if taking whey protein without dieting improves weight loss. When used along with exercise, whey protein doesn't seem to improve weight loss compared to exercise alone. In overweight teens, drinking a whey protein beverage for 12 weeks seems to increase weight and body mass index (BMI).
- Other conditions.
Side Effects & SafetyWhey protein is LIKELY SAFE for most children and adults when taken by mouth appropriately. High doses can cause some side effects such as increased bowel movements, nausea, thirst, bloating, cramps, reduced appetite, tiredness (fatigue), and headache.
Special Precautions & Warnings:Pregnancy and breast-feeding: There is not enough reliable information about the safety of taking whey protein if you are pregnant or breast feeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.
Milk allergy: If you are allergic to cow's milk, avoid using whey protein.
Do not take this combination
Levodopa interacts with WHEY PROTEIN
Whey protein might decrease how much levodopa the body absorbs. By decreasing how much levodopa the body absorbs, whey protein might decrease the effectiveness of levodopa. Do not take whey protein and levodopa at the same time.
Be cautious with this combination
Alendronate (Fosamax) interacts with WHEY PROTEIN
Whey protein can decrease how much alendronate (Fosamax) the body absorbs. Taking whey protein and alendronate (Fosamax) at the same time can decrease the effectiveness of alendronate (Fosamax). Don't take whey protein within two hours of taking alendronate (Fosamax).
Antibiotics (Quinolone antibiotics) interacts with WHEY PROTEIN
Whey protein might decrease how much antibiotic the body absorbs. Taking whey protein along with some antibiotics might decrease the effectiveness of some antibiotics. To avoid this interaction take whey protein supplements at least one hour after antibiotics.<br/><br/> Some of these antibiotics that might interact with whey protein include ciprofloxacin (Cipro), enoxacin (Penetrex), norfloxacin (Chibroxin, Noroxin), sparfloxacin (Zagam), trovafloxacin (Trovan), and grepafloxacin (Raxar).
Antibiotics (Tetracycline antibiotics) interacts with WHEY PROTEIN
Whey protein contains calcium. The calcium in whey protein can attach to tetracyclines in the stomach. This decreases the amount of tetracyclines that can be absorbed. Taking calcium with tetracyclines might decrease the effectiveness of tetracyclines. To avoid this interaction take whey protein two hours before or four hours after taking tetracyclines.<br/><br/> Some tetracyclines include demeclocycline (Declomycin), minocycline (Minocin), and tetracycline (Achromycin).
The following doses have been studied in scientific research:
- For HIV/AIDS-related weight loss: 8.4-84 grams of whey protein per day, 2.4 grams/kg per day in a high-calorie formula, or 42-84 grams per day in a glutamine-enriched formula.
- For red, scaly skin (plaque psoriasis): 5 grams per day of a specific whey protein extract product.
- Tang JE, Moore DR, Kujbida GW, et al. Ingestion of whey hydrolysate, casein, or soy protein isolate: effects on mixed muscle protein synthesis at rest and following resistance exercise in young men. J Appl Physiol 2009;107:987-92. View abstract.
- Taylor LW, Wilborn C, Roberts MD, White A, Dugan K. Eight weeks of pre- and postexercise whey protein supplementation increases lean body mass and improves performance in Division III collegiate female basketball players. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2016;41(3):249-54. View abstract.
- Tosukhowong P, Boonla C, Dissayabutra T, et al. Biochemical and clinical effects of whey protein supplementation in Parkinson's disease: A pilot study. J Neurol Sci. 2016;367:162-70. View abstract.
- Vandenplas Y, Hauser B, Van den Borre C, et al. Effect of a whey hydrolysate prophylaxis of atopic disease. Ann Allergy 1992;68:419-24. View abstract.
- Veldhorst, M. A., Nieuwenhuizen, A. G., Hochstenbach-Waelen, A., Westerterp, K. R., Engelen, M. P., Brummer, R. J., Deutz, N. E., and Westerterp-Plantenga, M. S. Effects of complete whey-protein breakfasts versus whey without GMP-breakfasts on energy intake and satiety. Appetite 2009;52(2):388-395. View abstract.
- Vergel NR, Salvato P, Mooney M. Anabolic steroids, resistance exercise and protein supplementation effect on lean body mass in HIV+ patients. Int Conf AIDS 1998;12:557 (abstract # 32185).
- Verreijen AM, Verlaan S, Engberink MF, et al. A high whey protein-, leucine-, and vitamin D-enriched supplement preserves muscle mass during intentional weight loss in obese older adults: a double-blind randomized controlled trial. Am J Clin Nutr 2015; 101(2):279-86. View abstract.
- Vilella AL, Limsuwat C, Williams DR, Seifert CF. Cholestatic jaundice as a result of combination designer supplement ingestion. Ann Pharmacother 2013;47(7-8):e33. View abstract.
- Volek JS, Volk BM, Gómez AL, et al. Whey protein supplementation during resistance training augments lean body mass. J Am Coll Nutr 2013;32(2):122-35. View abstract.
- Voss T, Rowe B, Graf L, et al. Management of HIV-related weight loss and diarrhea with an enteral formula containing whey peptides and medium-chain triglycerides. Int Conf AIDS 1991;7:223 (abstract # WB2165).
- Witard OC, Jackman SR, Breen L, et al. Myofibrillar muscle protein synthesis rates subsequent to a meal in response to increasing doses of whey protein at rest and after resistance exercise. Am J Clin Nutr 2014; 99(1):86-95. View abstract.
- Wong CW, Liu AH, Regester GO, et al. Influence of whey and purified whey proteins on neutrophil functions in sheep. J Dairy Res 1997;64:281-8. View abstract.
- Wong CW, Watson DL. Immunomodulatory effects of dietary whey proteins in mice. J Dairy Res 1995;62:359-68. View abstract.
- Wright CS, McMorrow AM, Weinheimer-Haus EM, Campbell WW. Whey protein supplementation and higher total protein intake do not influence bone quantity in overweight and obese adults following a 36-week exercise and diet intervention. J Nutr. 2017;147(2):179-186. View abstract.
- Zhu K, Kerr DA, Meng X, et al. Two-year whey protein supplementation did not enhance muscle mass and physical function in well-nourished healthy older postmenopausal women. J Nutr 2015;145(11):2520-6. View abstract.
- Lands, L. C., Iskandar, M., Beaudoin, N., Meehan, B., Dauletbaev, N., and Berthiuame, Y. Dietary supplementation with pressurized whey in patients with cystic fibrosis. J Med Food 2010;13(1):77-82. View abstract.
- Laviolette, L., Lands, L. C., Dauletbaev, N., Saey, D., Milot, J., Provencher, S., LeBlanc, P., and Maltais, F. Combined effect of dietary supplementation with pressurized whey and exercise training in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a randomized, controlled, double-blind pilot study. J Med Food 2010;13(3):589-598. View abstract.
- Lee, Y. M., Skurk, T., Hennig, M., and Hauner, H. Effect of a milk drink supplemented with whey peptides on blood pressure in patients with mild hypertension. Eur.J Nutr 2007;46(1):21-27. View abstract.
- Lorenzen, J., Frederiksen, R., Hoppe, C., Hvid, R., and Astrup, A. The effect of milk proteins on appetite regulation and diet-induced thermogenesis. Eur.J Clin.Nutr 2012;66(5):622-627. View abstract.
- Loss, G., Apprich, S., Waser, M., Kneifel, W., Genuneit, J., Buchele, G., Weber, J., Sozanska, B., Danielewicz, H., Horak, E., van Neerven, R. J., Heederik, D., Lorenzen, P. C., von, Mutius E., and Braun-Fahrlander, C. The protective effect of farm milk consumption on childhood asthma and atopy: the GABRIELA study. J Allergy Clin.Immunol. 2011;128(4):766-773. View abstract.
- Lothian, B., Grey, V., Kimoff, R. J., and Lands, L. C. Treatment of obstructive airway disease with a cysteine donor protein supplement: a case report. Chest 2000;117(3):914-916. View abstract.
- Lothian, J. B., Grey, V., and Lands, L. C. Effect of whey protein to modulate immune response in children with atopic asthma. Int J Food Sci Nutr 2006;57(3-4):204-211. View abstract.
- Low, P. P., Rutherfurd, K. J., Gill, H. S., and Cross, M. L. Effect of dietary whey protein concentrate on primary and secondary antibody responses in immunized BALB/c mice. Int Immunopharmacol. 2003;3(3):393-401. View abstract.
- Luhovyy, B. L., Akhavan, T., and Anderson, G. H. Whey proteins in the regulation of food intake and satiety. J Am Coll.Nutr 2007;26(6):704S-712S. View abstract.
- Lum, C. and et al. Study on whey protein supplement on physical performance and quality of life among elderly patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Australasian Journal on Ageing 2007;26(4):168-172.
- Ma, J., Stevens, J. E., Cukier, K., Maddox, A. F., Wishart, J. M., Jones, K. L., Clifton, P. M., Horowitz, M., and Rayner, C. K. Effects of a protein preload on gastric emptying, glycemia, and gut hormones after a carbohydrate meal in diet-controlled type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care 2009;32(9):1600-1602. View abstract.
- Mabin, D. C., Sykes, A. E., and David, T. J. Controlled trial of a few foods diet in severe atopic dermatitis. Arch Dis.Child 1995;73(3):202-207. View abstract.
- Mabin, D. C., Sykes, A. E., and David, T. J. Nutritional content of few foods diet in atopic dermatitis. Arch Dis.Child 1995;73(3):208-210. View abstract.
- Macdermid, P. W. and Stannard, S. R. A whey-supplemented, high-protein diet versus a high-carbohydrate diet: effects on endurance cycling performance. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc.Metab 2006;16(1):65-77. View abstract.
- Mancuso, M., Orsucci, D., Logerfo, A., Rocchi, A., Petrozzi, L., Nesti, C., Galetta, F., Santoro, G., Murri, L., and Siciliano, G. Oxidative stress biomarkers in mitochondrial myopathies, basally and after cysteine donor supplementation. J Neurol. 2010;257(5):774-781. View abstract.
- Manzoni, P., Decembrino, L., Stolfi, I., Pugni, L., Rinaldi, M., Cattani, S., Romeo, M. G., Messner, H., Laforgia, N., Vagnarelli, F., Memo, L., Bordignon, L., Saia, O. S., Maule, M., Gallo, E., Mostert, M., Magnani, C., Quercia, M., Bollani, L., Pedicino, R., Renzullo, L., Betta, P., Ferrari, F., Magaldi, R., Mosca, F., Stronati, M., and Farina, D. Lactoferrin and prevention of late-onset sepsis in the pre-term neonates. Early Hum Dev. 2010;86 Suppl 1:59-61. View abstract.
- Marini, A., Agosti, M., Motta, G., and Mosca, F. Effects of a dietary and environmental prevention programme on the incidence of allergic symptoms in high atopic risk infants: three years' follow-up. Acta Paediatr.Suppl 1996;414:1-21. View abstract.
- Mark, A. B., Hoppe, C., Michaelsen, K. F., and Molgaard, C. Milk-derived proteins and minerals alter serum osteocalcin in prepubertal boys after 7 days. Nutr Res 2010;30(8):558-564. View abstract.
- Markus, C. R., Olivier, B., and de Haan, E. H. Whey protein rich in alpha-lactalbumin increases the ratio of plasma tryptophan to the sum of the other large neutral amino acids and improves cognitive performance in stress-vulnerable subjects. Am.J.Clin.Nutr. 2002;75(6):1051-1056. View abstract.
- Markus, C. R., Olivier, B., Panhuysen, G. E., Van Der Gugten, J., Alles, M. S., Tuiten, A., Westenberg, H. G., Fekkes, D., Koppeschaar, H. F., and de Haan, E. E. The bovine protein alpha-lactalbumin increases the plasma ratio of tryptophan to the other large neutral amino acids, and in vulnerable subjects raises brain serotonin activity, reduces cortisol concentration, and improves mood under stress. Am J Clin Nutr 2000;71(6):1536-1544. View abstract.
- McIntosh, G. H., Regester, G. O., Le Leu, R. K., Royle, P. J., and Smithers, G. W. Dairy proteins protect against dimethylhydrazine-induced intestinal cancers in rats. J Nutr 1995;125(4):809-816. View abstract.
- Mertens, J., Stock, S., Lungen, M., von, Berg A., Kramer, U., Filipiak-Pittroff, B., Heinrich, J., Koletzko, S., Grubl, A., Wichmann, H. E., Bauer, C. P., Reinhardt, D., Berdel, D., and Gerber, A. Is prevention of atopic eczema with hydrolyzed formulas cost-effective? A health economic evaluation from Germany. Pediatr.Allergy Immunol. 2012;23(6):597-604. View abstract.
- Micke, P., Beeh, K. M., and Buhl, R. Effects of long-term supplementation with whey proteins on plasma glutathione levels of HIV-infected patients. Eur.J Nutr 2002;41(1):12-18. View abstract.
- Micke, P., Beeh, K. M., Schlaak, J. F., and Buhl, R. Oral supplementation with whey proteins increases plasma glutathione levels of HIV-infected patients. Eur.J Clin Invest 2001;31(2):171-178. View abstract.
- Mojtahedi, M. C., Thorpe, M. P., Karampinos, D. C., Johnson, C. L., Layman, D. K., Georgiadis, J. G., and Evans, E. M. The effects of a higher protein intake during energy restriction on changes in body composition and physical function in older women. J Gerontol.A Biol.Sci Med.Sci 2011;66(11):1218-1225. View abstract.
- Molgaard, C., Larnkjaer, A., Arnberg, K., and Michaelsen, K. F. Milk and growth in children: effects of whey and casein. Nestle.Nutr Workshop Ser.Pediatr.Program. 2011;67:67-78. View abstract.
- Moore, D. R., Atherton, P. J., Rennie, M. J., Tarnopolsky, M. A., and Phillips, S. M. Resistance exercise enhances mTOR and MAPK signalling in human muscle over that seen at rest after bolus protein ingestion. Acta Physiol (Oxf) 9-27-2010; View abstract.
- Moore, D. R., Tang, J. E., Burd, N. A., Rerecich, T., Tarnopolsky, M. A., and Phillips, S. M. Differential stimulation of myofibrillar and sarcoplasmic protein synthesis with protein ingestion at rest and after resistance exercise. J Physiol 2-15-2009;587(Pt 4):897-904. View abstract.
- Moreno, Y. F., Sgarbieri, V. C., da Silva, M. N., Toro, A. A., and Vilela, M. M. Features of whey protein concentrate supplementation in children with rapidly progressive HIV infection. J Trop.Pediatr 2006;52(1):34-38. View abstract.
- Morifuji, M., Ishizaka, M., Baba, S., Fukuda, K., Matsumoto, H., Koga, J., Kanegae, M., and Higuchi, M. Comparison of different sources and degrees of hydrolysis of dietary protein: effect on plasma amino acids, dipeptides, and insulin responses in human subjects. J Agric.Food Chem. 8-11-2010;58(15):8788-8797. View abstract.
- Mortensen, L. S., Hartvigsen, M. L., Brader, L. J., Astrup, A., Schrezenmeir, J., Holst, J. J., Thomsen, C., and Hermansen, K. Differential effects of protein quality on postprandial lipemia in response to a fat-rich meal in type 2 diabetes: comparison of whey, casein, gluten, and cod protein. Am J Clin Nutr 2009;90(1):41-48. View abstract.
- Mullins, N. M. and Sinning, W. E. Effects of resistance training and protein supplementation on bone turnover in young adult women. Nutr Metab (Lond) 8-17-2005;2:19. View abstract.
- Murphy, C. and Miller, B. F. Protein consumption following aerobic exercise increases whole-body protein turnover in older adults. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab 2010;35(5):583-590. View abstract.
- Murray, B. A., Walsh, D. J., and FitzGerald, R. J. Modification of the furanacryloyl-L-phenylalanylglycylglycine assay for determination of angiotensin-I-converting enzyme inhibitory activity. J Biochem.Biophys.Methods 5-31-2004;59(2):127-137. View abstract.
- Nagaoka, K., Aoki, F., Hayashi, M., Muroi, Y., Sakurai, T., Itoh, K., Ikawa, M., Okabe, M., Imakawa, K., and Sakai, S. L-amino acid oxidase plays a crucial role in host defense in the mammary glands. FASEB J 2009;23(8):2514-2520. View abstract.
- Narisawa, N., Furukawa, S., Kawarai, T., Ohishi, K., Kanda, S., Kimijima, K., Negishi, S., Ogihara, H., and Yamasaki, M. Effect of skimmed milk and its fractions on the inactivation of Escherichia coli K12 by high hydrostatic pressure treatment. Int J Food Microbiol. 5-10-2008;124(1):103-107. View abstract.
- Nash, M. S., Meltzer, N. M., Martins, S. C., Burns, P. A., Lindley, S. D., and Field-Fote, E. C. Nutrient supplementation post ambulation in persons with incomplete spinal cord injuries: a randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled case series. Arch Phys.Med Rehabil. 2007;88(2):228-233. View abstract.
- Nentwich, I., Michkova, E., Nevoral, J., Urbanek, R., and Szepfalusi, Z. Cow's milk-specific cellular and humoral immune responses and atopy skin symptoms in infants from atopic families fed a partially (pHF) or extensively (eHF) hydrolyzed infant formula. Allergy 2001;56(12):1144-1156. View abstract.
- Nilsson, M., Holst, J. J., and Bjorck, I. M. Metabolic effects of amino acid mixtures and whey protein in healthy subjects: studies using glucose-equivalent drinks. Am J Clin Nutr 2007;85(4):996-1004. View abstract.
- Numan, S. C., Veldkamp, P., Kuijper, E. J., van den Berg, R. J., and van Dissel, J. T. Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhoea: bovine anti-Clostridium difficile whey protein to help aid the prevention of relapses. Gut 2007;56(6):888-889. View abstract.
- Oner, O. Z., Ogunc, A. V., Cingi, A., Uyar, S. B., Yalcin, A. S., and Aktan, A. O. Whey feeding suppresses the measurement of oxidative stress in experimental burn injury. Surg Today 2006;36(4):376-381. View abstract.
- Osborn, D. A. and Sinn, J. Formulas containing hydrolysed protein for prevention of allergy and food intolerance in infants. Cochrane.Database.Syst.Rev. 2006;(4):CD003664. View abstract.
- Paddon-Jones, D., Sheffield-Moore, M., Katsanos, C. S., Zhang, X. J., and Wolfe, R. R. Differential stimulation of muscle protein synthesis in elderly humans following isocaloric ingestion of amino acids or whey protein. Exp.Gerontol. 2006;41(2):215-219. View abstract.
- Pal, S. and Ellis, V. Acute effects of whey protein isolate on blood pressure, vascular function and inflammatory markers in overweight postmenopausal women. Br.J Nutr 2011;105(10):1512-1519. View abstract.
- Pal, S. and Ellis, V. The acute effects of four protein meals on insulin, glucose, appetite and energy intake in lean men. Br J Nutr 2010;104(8):1241-1248. View abstract.
- Pal, S. and Ellis, V. The chronic effects of whey proteins on blood pressure, vascular function, and inflammatory markers in overweight individuals. Obesity.(Silver.Spring) 2010;18(7):1354-1359. View abstract.
- Pal, S., Ellis, V., and Dhaliwal, S. Effects of whey protein isolate on body composition, lipids, insulin and glucose in overweight and obese individuals. Br J Nutr 2010;104(5):716-723. View abstract.
- Pal, S., Ellis, V., and Ho, S. Acute effects of whey protein isolate on cardiovascular risk factors in overweight, post-menopausal women. Atherosclerosis 2010;212(1):339-344. View abstract.
- Penttila, I. A., Zhang, M. F., Bates, E., Regester, G., Read, L. C., and Zola, H. Immune modulation in suckling rat pups by a growth factor extract derived from milk whey. J Dairy Res 2001;68(4):587-599. View abstract.
- Petersen, B. L., Ward, L. S., Bastian, E. D., Jenkins, A. L., Campbell, J., and Vuksan, V. A whey protein supplement decreases post-prandial glycemia. Nutr J 2009;8:47. View abstract.
- Pfeffer, G., Majamaa, K., Turnbull, D. M., Thorburn, D., and Chinnery, P. F. Treatment for mitochondrial disorders. Cochrane Database.Syst.Rev. 2012;4:CD004426. View abstract.
- Phillips, S. M. The science of muscle hypertrophy: making dietary protein count. Proc.Nutr Soc. 2011;70(1):100-103. View abstract.
- Pihlanto-Leppala, A., Koskinen, P., Piilola, K., Tupasela, T., and Korhonen, H. Angiotensin I-converting enzyme inhibitory properties of whey protein digests: concentration and characterization of active peptides. J Dairy Res 2000;67(1):53-64. View abstract.
- Pins, J. J. and Keenan, J. M. Effects of whey peptides on cardiovascular disease risk factors. J Clin Hypertens.(Greenwich.) 2006;8(11):775-782. View abstract.
- Planas, M., Alvarez, J., Garcia-Peris, P. A., de la Cuerda, C., de, Lucas P., Castella, M., Canseco, F., and Reyes, L. Nutritional support and quality of life in stable chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) patients. Clin Nutr 2005;24(3):433-441. View abstract.
- Abou-Samra, R., Keersmaekers, L., Brienza, D., Mukherjee, R., and Mace, K. Effect of different protein sources on satiation and short-term satiety when consumed as a starter. Nutr J 2011;10:139. View abstract.
- Acheson, K. J., Blondel-Lubrano, A., Oguey-Araymon, S., Beaumont, M., Emady-Azar, S., Ammon-Zufferey, C., Monnard, I., Pinaud, S., Nielsen-Moennoz, C., and Bovetto, L. Protein choices targeting thermogenesis and metabolism. Am J Clin.Nutr 2011;93(3):525-534. View abstract.
- Agin, D., Gallagher, D., Wang, J., Heymsfield, S. B., Pierson, R. N., Jr., and Kotler, D. P. Effects of whey protein and resistance exercise on body cell mass, muscle strength, and quality of life in women with HIV. AIDS 12-7-2001;15(18):2431-2440. View abstract.
- Agin, D., Kotler, D. P., Papandreou, D., Liss, M., Wang, J., Thornton, J., Gallagher, D., and Pierson, R. N., Jr. Effects of whey protein and resistance exercise on body composition and muscle strength in women with HIV infection. Ann.N.Y.Acad.Sci. 2000;904:607-609. View abstract.
- Akhavan, T., Luhovyy, B. L., and Anderson, G. H. Effect of drinking compared with eating sugars or whey protein on short-term appetite and food intake. Int J Obes.(Lond) 8-24-2010; View abstract.
- Akhavan, T., Luhovyy, B. L., Brown, P. H., Cho, C. E., and Anderson, G. H. Effect of premeal consumption of whey protein and its hydrolysate on food intake and postmeal glycemia and insulin responses in young adults. Am J Clin Nutr 2010;91(4):966-975. View abstract.
- Aldrich, N. D., Reicks, M. M., Sibley, S. D., Redmon, J. B., Thomas, W., and Raatz, S. K. Varying protein source and quantity do not significantly improve weight loss, fat loss, or satiety in reduced energy diets among midlife adults. Nutr Res 2011;31(2):104-112. View abstract.
- Alexander, D. D. and Cabana, M. D. Partially hydrolyzed 100% whey protein infant formula and reduced risk of atopic dermatitis: a meta-analysis. J Pediatr Gastroenterol.Nutr 2010;50(4):422-430. View abstract.
- Alexander, D. D., Schmitt, D. F., Tran, N. L., Barraj, L. M., and Cushing, C. A. Partially hydrolyzed 100% whey protein infant formula and atopic dermatitis risk reduction: a systematic review of the literature. Nutr Rev. 2010;68(4):232-245. View abstract.
- Alfenas, Rde C., Bressan, J., and Paiva, A. C. Effects of protein quality on appetite and energy metabolism in normal weight subjects. Arq Bras.Endocrinol Metabol. 2010;54(1):45-51. View abstract.
- Almaas, H., Holm, H., Langsrud, T., Flengsrud, R., and Vegarud, G. E. In vitro studies of the digestion of caprine whey proteins by human gastric and duodenal juice and the effects on selected microorganisms. Br J Nutr 2006;96(3):562-569. View abstract.
- Alvarez, L. I., Saumell, C. A., Sanchez, S. F., and Lanusse, C. E. Plasma disposition kinetics of albendazole metabolites in pigs fed different diets. Res Vet.Sci 1996;60(2):152-156. View abstract.
- Anderson, G. H., Tecimer, S. N., Shah, D., and Zafar, T. A. Protein source, quantity, and time of consumption determine the effect of proteins on short-term food intake in young men. J Nutr 2004;134(11):3011-3015. View abstract.
- Antonione, R., Caliandro, E., Zorat, F., Guarnieri, G., Heer, M., and Biolo, G. Whey protein ingestion enhances postprandial anabolism during short-term bed rest in young men. J Nutr 2008;138(11):2212-2216. View abstract.
- Aoe, S., Koyama, T., Toba, Y., Itabashi, A., and Takada, Y. A controlled trial of the effect of milk basic protein (MBP) supplementation on bone metabolism in healthy menopausal women. Osteoporos.Int 2005;16(12):2123-2128. View abstract.
- Aoe, S., Toba, Y., Yamamura, J., Kawakami, H., Yahiro, M., Kumegawa, M., Itabashi, A., and Takada, Y. Controlled trial of the effects of milk basic protein (MBP) supplementation on bone metabolism in healthy adult women. Biosci.Biotechnol.Biochem. 2001;65(4):913-918. View abstract.
- Arnberg, K., Molgaard, C., Michaelsen, K. F., Jensen, S. M., Trolle, E., and Larnkjaer, A. Skim milk, whey, and casein increase body weight and whey and casein increase the plasma C-peptide concentration in overweight adolescents. J Nutr 2012;142(12):2083-2090. View abstract.
- Astbury, N. M., Stevenson, E. J., Morris, P., Taylor, M. A., and Macdonald, I. A. Dose-response effect of a whey protein preload on within-day energy intake in lean subjects. Br J Nutr 2010;104(12):1858-1867. View abstract.
- Atherton, P. J., Etheridge, T., Watt, P. W., Wilkinson, D., Selby, A., Rankin, D., Smith, K., and Rennie, M. J. Muscle full effect after oral protein: time-dependent concordance and discordance between human muscle protein synthesis and mTORC1 signaling. Am J Clin Nutr 2010;92(5):1080-1088. View abstract.
- Baer, D. J., Stote, K. S., Paul, D. R., Harris, G. K., Rumpler, W. V., and Clevidence, B. A. Whey protein but not soy protein supplementation alters body weight and composition in free-living overweight and obese adults. J Nutr 2011;141(8):1489-1494. View abstract.
- Ballard, K. D., Bruno, R. S., Seip, R. L., Quann, E. E., Volk, B. M., Freidenreich, D. J., Kawiecki, D. M., Kupchak, B. R., Chung, M. Y., Kraemer, W. J., and Volek, J. S. Acute ingestion of a novel whey-derived peptide improves vascular endothelial responses in healthy individuals: a randomized, placebo controlled trial. Nutr J 2009;8:34. View abstract.
- Ballard, K. D., Kupchak, B. R., Volk, B. M., Mah, E., Shkreta, A., Liptak, C., Ptolemy, A. S., Kellogg, M. S., Bruno, R. S., Seip, R. L., Maresh, C. M., Kraemer, W. J., and Volek, J. S. Acute effects of ingestion of a novel whey-derived extract on vascular endothelial function in overweight, middle-aged men and women. Br.J Nutr 3-14-2013;109(5):882-893. View abstract.
- Basu, J., Sachdeva, A., and Nagpal, J. Emerging health properties of fermented milk and whey proteins: Role in Helicobacter pylori eradication. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2009;43(10):1011-1012. View abstract.
- Bauer, M. P., Numan-Ruberg, S. C., Bredewold, O. W., Kuijper, E. J., Mooi-Kokenberg, E. A., Debast, S. B., and van Dissel, J. T. [Recurrence of Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhoea prevented by the administration of a whey concentrate from specifically immunised cows; prospective study]. Ned.Tijdschr.Geneeskd. 8-30-2008;152(35):1919-1926. View abstract.
- Baumann, J. M., Rundell, K. W., Evans, T. M., and Levine, A. M. Effects of cysteine donor supplementation on exercise-induced bronchoconstriction. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2005;37(9):1468-1473. View abstract.
- Bayram, T., Pekmez, M., Arda, N., and Yalcin, A. S. Antioxidant activity of whey protein fractions isolated by gel exclusion chromatography and protease treatment. Talanta 5-15-2008;75(3):705-709. View abstract.
- Beaulieu, J., Dupont, C., and Lemieux, P. Anti-inflammatory potential of a malleable matrix composed of fermented whey proteins and lactic acid bacteria in an atopic dermatitis model. J Inflamm.(Lond) 2007;4:6. View abstract.
- Beaulieu, J., Girard, D., Dupont, C., and Lemieux, P. Inhibition of neutrophil infiltration by a malleable protein matrix of lactic acid bacteria-fermented whey proteins in vivo. Inflamm.Res 2009;58(3):133-138. View abstract.
- Beaulieu, J., Millette, E., Trottier, E., Precourt, L. P., Dupont, C., and Lemieux, P. Regulatory function of a malleable protein matrix as a novel fermented whey product on features defining the metabolic syndrome. J Med Food 2010;13(3):509-519. View abstract.
- Becker, A., Watson, W., Ferguson, A., Dimich-Ward, H., and Chan-Yeung, M. The Canadian asthma primary prevention study: outcomes at 2 years of age. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2004;113(4):650-656. View abstract.
- Bellissimo, N., Desantadina, M. V., Pencharz, P. B., Berall, G. B., Thomas, S. G., and Anderson, G. H. A comparison of short-term appetite and energy intakes in normal weight and obese boys following glucose and whey-protein drinks. Int J Obes.(Lond) 2008;32(2):362-371. View abstract.
- Bellissimo, N., Thomas, S. G., Goode, R. C., and Anderson, G. H. Effect of short-duration physical activity and ventilation threshold on subjective appetite and short-term energy intake in boys. Appetite 2007;49(3):644-651. View abstract.
- Bemben MG, Witten MS Carter JM Eliot KA Knehans AW Bemben DA. The effects of supplementation with creatine and protein on muscle strength following a traditional resistance training program in middle-aged and older men. J Nutr Health Aging. 2010;14(2):155-159. View abstract.
- Benton, M. J. and Swan, P. D. Effect of protein ingestion on energy expenditure and substrate utilization after exercise in middle-aged women. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc.Metab 2007;17(6):544-555. View abstract.
- Berg, A., Kramer, U., Link, E., Bollrath, C., Heinrich, J., Brockow, I., Koletzko, S., Grubl, A., Filipiak-Pittroff, B., Wichmann, H. E., Bauer, C. P., Reinhardt, D., and Berdel, D. Impact of early feeding on childhood eczema: development after nutritional intervention compared with the natural course - the GINIplus study up to the age of 6 years. Clin Exp.Allergy 2010;40(4):627-636. View abstract.
- Berthold, H. K., Schulte, D. M., Lapointe, J. F., Lemieux, P., Krone, W., and Gouni-Berthold, I. The whey fermentation product malleable protein matrix decreases triglyceride concentrations in subjects with hypercholesterolemia: a randomized placebo-controlled trial. J Dairy Sci 2011;94(2):589-601. View abstract.
- Betts, J. A., Toone, R. J., Stokes, K. A., and Thompson, D. Systemic indices of skeletal muscle damage and recovery of muscle function after exercise: effect of combined carbohydrate-protein ingestion. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab 2009;34(4):773-784. View abstract.
- Betts, J. A., Williams, C., Boobis, L., and Tsintzas, K. Increased carbohydrate oxidation after ingesting carbohydrate with added protein. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2008;40(5):903-912. View abstract.
- Betts, J., Williams, C., Duffy, K., and Gunner, F. The influence of carbohydrate and protein ingestion during recovery from prolonged exercise on subsequent endurance performance. J Sports Sci 2007;25(13):1449-1460. View abstract.
- Bihuniak, J. D., Simpson, C. A., Sullivan, R. R., Caseria, D. M., Kerstetter, J. E., and Insogna, K. L. Dietary protein-induced increases in urinary calcium are accompanied by similar increases in urinary nitrogen and urinary urea: a controlled clinical trial. J Acad.Nutr Diet. 2013;113(3):447-451. View abstract.
- Bjorkman, M. P., Pilvi, T. K., Kekkonen, R. A., Korpela, R., and Tilvis, R. S. Similar effects of leucine rich and regular dairy products on muscle mass and functions of older polymyalgia rheumatica patients: a randomized crossover trial. J Nutr Health Aging 2011;15(6):462-467. View abstract.
- Blacker, S. D., Williams, N. C., Fallowfield, J. L., Bilzon, J. L., and Willems, M. E. Carbohydrate vs protein supplementation for recovery of neuromuscular function following prolonged load carriage. J Int Soc Sports Nutr 2010;7:2. View abstract.
- Bongers, M. E., de, Lorijn F., Reitsma, J. B., Groeneweg, M., Taminiau, J. A., and Benninga, M. A. The clinical effect of a new infant formula in term infants with constipation: a double-blind, randomized cross-over trial. Nutr J 2007;6:8. View abstract.
- Bordenave, S., Sannier, F., Ricart, G., and Piot, J. M. Continuous hydrolysis of goat whey in an ultrafiltration reactor: generation of alpha-lactorphin. Prep.Biochem.Biotechnol. 1999;29(2):189-202. View abstract.
- Borsheim, E., Aarsland, A., and Wolfe, R. R. Effect of an amino acid, protein, and carbohydrate mixture on net muscle protein balance after resistance exercise. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc.Metab 2004;14(3):255-271. View abstract.
- Bortolotti, M., Maiolo, E., Corazza, M., Van, Dijke E., Schneiter, P., Boss, A., Carrel, G., Giusti, V., Le, K. A., Quo Chong, D. G., Buehler, T., Kreis, R., Boesch, C., and Tappy, L. Effects of a whey protein supplementation on intrahepatocellular lipids in obese female patients. Clin.Nutr 2011;30(4):494-498. View abstract.
- Bowen, J., Noakes, M., and Clifton, P. M. Appetite hormones and energy intake in obese men after consumption of fructose, glucose and whey protein beverages. Int J Obes.(Lond) 2007;31(11):1696-1703. View abstract.
- Bowen, J., Noakes, M., and Clifton, P. M. Appetite regulatory hormone responses to various dietary proteins differ by body mass index status despite similar reductions in ad libitum energy intake. J Clin Endocrinol.Metab 2006;91(8):2913-2919. View abstract.
- Bowen, J., Noakes, M., Trenerry, C., and Clifton, P. M. Energy intake, ghrelin, and cholecystokinin after different carbohydrate and protein preloads in overweight men. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2006;91(4):1477-1483. View abstract.
- Braun-Fahrlander, C. and von, Mutius E. Can farm milk consumption prevent allergic diseases? Clin.Exp.Allergy 2011;41(1):29-35. View abstract.
- Breen, L., Philp, A., Witard, O. C., Jackman, S. R., Selby, A., Smith, K., Baar, K., and Tipton, K. D. The influence of carbohydrate-protein co-ingestion following endurance exercise on myofibrillar and mitochondrial protein synthesis. J Physiol 8-15-2011;589(Pt 16):4011-4025. View abstract.
- Brown, E. C., DiSilvestro, R. A., Babaknia, A., and Devor, S. T. Soy versus whey protein bars: effects on exercise training impact on lean body mass and antioxidant status. Nutr J 12-8-2004;3:22. View abstract.
- Brun, A. C., Stordal, K., Johannesdottir, G. B., Bentsen, B. S., and Medhus, A. W. The effect of protein composition in liquid meals on gastric emptying rate in children with cerebral palsy. Clin.Nutr 2012;31(1):108-112. View abstract.
- Buckley, J. D., Thomson, R. L., Coates, A. M., Howe, P. R., DeNichilo, M. O., and Rowney, M. K. Supplementation with a whey protein hydrolysate enhances recovery of muscle force-generating capacity following eccentric exercise. J Sci Med Sport 2010;13(1):178-181. View abstract.
- Burke, D. G., Chilibeck, P. D., Davidson, K. S., Candow, D. G., Farthing, J., and Smith-Palmer, T. The effect of whey protein supplementation with and without creatine monohydrate combined with resistance training on lean tissue mass and muscle strength. Int J Sport Nutr.Exerc.Metab 2001;11(3):349-364. View abstract.
- Calbet, J. A. and Holst, J. J. Gastric emptying, gastric secretion and enterogastrone response after administration of milk proteins or their peptide hydrolysates in humans. Eur.J Nutr 2004;43(3):127-139. View abstract.
- Camfield, D. A., Owen, L., Scholey, A. B., Pipingas, A., and Stough, C. Dairy constituents and neurocognitive health in ageing. Br.J Nutr 2011;106(2):159-174. View abstract.
- Canciani, M. and Mastella, G. Absorption of a new semielemental diet in infants with cystic fibrosis. J Pediatr Gastroenterol.Nutr 1985;4(5):735-740. View abstract.
- Carcillo, J. A., Dean, J. M., Holubkov, R., Berger, J., Meert, K. L., Anand, K. J., Zimmerman, J., Newth, C. J., Harrison, R., Burr, J., Willson, D. F., and Nicholson, C. The randomized comparative pediatric critical illness stress-induced immune suppression (CRISIS) prevention trial. Pediatr.Crit Care Med. 2012;13(2):165-173. View abstract.
- Carcillo, J., Holubkov, R., Dean, J. M., Berger, J., Meert, K. L., Anand, K. J., Zimmerman, J., Newth, C. J., Harrison, R., Willson, D. F., and Nicholson, C. Rationale and design of the pediatric critical illness stress-induced immune suppression (CRISIS) prevention trial. JPEN J Parenter.Enteral Nutr 2009;33(4):368-374. View abstract.
- Cepero, M. Influence of ingesting casein protein and whey carbohydrate beverages on recovery and performance of an endurance cycling test. Journal of Human Sport & Exercise 2010;5(2):158.
- Chan, Y. H., Shek, L. P., Aw, M., Quak, S. H., and Lee, B. W. Use of hypoallergenic formula in the prevention of atopic disease among Asian children. J Paediatr.Child Health 2002;38(1):84-88. View abstract.
- Chan-Yeung, M., Manfreda, J., Dimich-Ward, H., Ferguson, A., Watson, W., and Becker, A. A randomized controlled study on the effectiveness of a multifaceted intervention program in the primary prevention of asthma in high-risk infants. Arch Pediatr Adolesc.Med 2000;154(7):657-663. View abstract.
- Chang, C. Y., Trehan, I., Wang, R. J., Thakwalakwa, C., Maleta, K., Deitchler, M., and Manary, M. J. Children successfully treated for moderate acute malnutrition remain at risk for malnutrition and death in the subsequent year after recovery. J Nutr 2013;143(2):215-220. View abstract.
- Chen, J. R., Singhal, R., Lazarenko, O. P., Liu, X., Hogue, W. R., Badger, T. M., and Ronis, M. J. Short term effects on bone quality associated with consumption of soy protein isolate and other dietary protein sources in rapidly growing female rats. Exp.Biol Med (Maywood.) 2008;233(11):1348-1358. View abstract.
- Chirico, G., Gasparoni, A., Ciardelli, L., De, Amici M., Colombo, A., and Rondini, G. Immunogenicity and antigenicity of a partially hydrolyzed cow's milk infant formula. Allergy 1997;52(1):82-88. View abstract.
- Chitapanarux, T., Tienboon, P., Pojchamarnwiputh, S., and Leelarungrayub, D. Open-labeled pilot study of cysteine-rich whey protein isolate supplementation for nonalcoholic steatohepatitis patients. J Gastroenterol.Hepatol. 2009;24(6):1045-1050. View abstract.
- Choi, Y. S., Goto, S., Ikeda, I., and Sugano, M. Interaction of dietary protein, cholesterol and age on lipid metabolism of the rat. Br J Nutr 1989;61(3):531-543. View abstract.
- Choi, Y. S., Ikeda, I., and Sugano, M. Dietary fats modulate age-dependent effects of dietary proteins on cholesterol metabolism in rats. J Nutr Sci Vitaminol.(Tokyo) 1990;36 Suppl 2:S181-S184. View abstract.
- Choi, Y. S., Ikeda, I., and Sugano, M. The combined effects of dietary proteins and fish oil on cholesterol metabolism in rats of different ages. Lipids 1989;24(6):506-510. View abstract.
- Chromiak, J. A., Smedley, B., Carpenter, W., Brown, R., Koh, Y. S., Lamberth, J. G., Joe, L. A., Abadie, B. R., and Altorfer, G. Effect of a 10-week strength training program and recovery drink on body composition, muscular strength and endurance, and anaerobic power and capacity. Nutrition 2004;20(5):420-427. View abstract.
- Chung, C. S., Yamini, S., and Trumbo, P. R. FDA's health claim review: whey-protein partially hydrolyzed infant formula and atopic dermatitis. Pediatrics 2012;130(2):e408-e414. View abstract.
- Chungchunlam, S. M., Moughan, P. J., Henare, S. J., and Ganesh, S. Effect of time of consumption of preloads on measures of satiety in healthy normal weight women. Appetite 2012;59(2):281-288. View abstract.
- Claessens, M., Calame, W., Siemensma, A. D., van Baak, M. A., and Saris, W. H. The effect of different protein hydrolysate/carbohydrate mixtures on postprandial glucagon and insulin responses in healthy subjects. Eur.J Clin Nutr 2009;63(1):48-56. View abstract.
- Claessens, M., Saris, W. H., and van Baak, M. A. Glucagon and insulin responses after ingestion of different amounts of intact and hydrolysed proteins. Br J Nutr 2008;100(1):61-69. View abstract.
- Claessens, M., van Baak, M. A., Monsheimer, S., and Saris, W. H. The effect of a low-fat, high-protein or high-carbohydrate ad libitum diet on weight loss maintenance and metabolic risk factors. Int J Obes.(Lond) 2009;33(3):296-304. View abstract.
- Clausen, M. R., Skibsted, L. H., and Stagsted, J. Characterization of major radical scavenger species in bovine milk through size exclusion chromatography and functional assays. J Agric.Food Chem. 4-8-2009;57(7):2912-2919. View abstract.
- Coburn, J. W., Housh, D. J., Housh, T. J., Malek, M. H., Beck, T. W., Cramer, J. T., Johnson, G. O., and Donlin, P. E. Effects of leucine and whey protein supplementation during eight weeks of unilateral resistance training. J Strength Cond.Res 2006;20(2):284-291. View abstract.
- Coffey, V. G., Moore, D. R., Burd, N. A., Rerecich, T., Stellingwerff, T., Garnham, A. P., Phillips, S. M., and Hawley, J. A. Nutrient provision increases signalling and protein synthesis in human skeletal muscle after repeated sprints. Eur.J Appl.Physiol 2011;111(7):1473-1483. View abstract.
- Cooke, M. B., Rybalka, E., Stathis, C. G., Cribb, P. J., and Hayes, A. Whey protein isolate attenuates strength decline after eccentrically-induced muscle damage in healthy individuals. J Int Soc Sports Nutr 2010;7:30. View abstract.
- Cornish, S. M., Candow, D. G., Jantz, N. T., Chilibeck, P. D., Little, J. P., Forbes, S., Abeysekara, S., and Zello, G. A. Conjugated linoleic acid combined with creatine monohydrate and whey protein supplementation during strength training. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc.Metab 2009;19(1):79-96. View abstract.
- D'Agata, A., Betta, P., Sciacca, P., Morano, C., Pratico, G., Curreri, R., Quattrocchi, O., and Sciacca, F. [Role of dietary prevention in newborns at risk for atopy. Results of a follow-up study]. Pediatr Med Chir 1996;18(5):469-472. View abstract.
- Dangin, M., Guillet, C., Garcia-Rodenas, C., Gachon, P., Bouteloup-Demange, C., Reiffers-Magnani, K., Fauquant, J., Ballevre, O., and Beaufrere, B. The rate of protein digestion affects protein gain differently during aging in humans. J Physiol 6-1-2003;549(Pt 2):635-644. View abstract.
- de, Seta L., Siani, P., Cirillo, G., Di, Gruttola M., Cimaduomo, L., and Coletta, S. [The prevention of allergic diseases with a hypoallergenic formula: a follow-up at 24 months. The preliminary results]. Pediatr Med Chir 1994;16(3):251-254. View abstract.
- De, Simone C., Ferranti, P., Picariello, G., Scognamiglio, I., Dicitore, A., Addeo, F., Chianese, L., and Stiuso, P. Peptides from water buffalo cheese whey induced senescence cell death via ceramide secretion in human colon adenocarcinoma cell line. Mol.Nutr Food Res 8-19-2010; View abstract.
- Demling, R. H. and DeSanti, L. Effect of a hypocaloric diet, increased protein intake and resistance training on lean mass gains and fat mass loss in overweight police officers. Ann Nutr Metab 2000;44(1):21-29. View abstract.
- den Hoed, C. M., de Vries, A. C., Mensink, P. B., Dierikx, C. M., Suzuki, H., Capelle, L., van, Dekken H., Ouwendijk, R., and Kuipers, E. J. Bovine antibody-based oral immunotherapy for reduction of intragastric Helicobacter pylori colonization: a randomized clinical trial. Can.J Gastroenterol. 2011;25(4):207-213. View abstract.
- Denysschen, C. A., Burton, H. W., Horvath, P. J., Leddy, J. J., and Browne, R. W. Resistance training with soy vs whey protein supplements in hyperlipidemic males. J Int Soc Sports Nutr 2009;6:8. View abstract.
- Deutz, N. E., Safar, A., Schutzler, S., Memelink, R., Ferrando, A., Spencer, H., van, Helvoort A., and Wolfe, R. R. Muscle protein synthesis in cancer patients can be stimulated with a specially formulated medical food. Clin Nutr 2011;30(6):759-768. View abstract.
- Diepvens, K., Haberer, D., and Westerterp-Plantenga, M. Different proteins and biopeptides differently affect satiety and anorexigenic/orexigenic hormones in healthy humans. Int J Obes.(Lond) 2008;32(3):510-518. View abstract.
- Drouin, R., Lamiot, E., Cantin, K., Gauthier, S. F., Pouliot, Y., Poubelle, P. E., and Juneau, C. XP-828L (Dermylex), a new whey protein extract with potential benefit for mild to moderate psoriasis. Can J Physiol Pharmacol 2007;85(9):943-951. View abstract.
- Du, B., Chai, W. Z., and Lin, X. M. [Effect of the whey basic protein on bone mineral density]. Zhonghua Yu Fang Yi.Xue.Za Zhi. 2007;41(2):96-100. View abstract.
- Dyer, A. R., Burdock, G. A., Carabin, I. G., Haas, M. C., Boyce, J., Alsaker, R., and Read, L. C. In vitro and in vivo safety studies of a proprietary whey extract. Food Chem.Toxicol. 2008;46(5):1659-1665. View abstract.
- Elia, D., Stadler, K., Horvath, V., and Jakus, J. Effect of soy- and whey protein-isolate supplemented diet on the redox parameters of trained mice. Eur.J Nutr 2006;45(5):259-266. View abstract.
- Eliot, K. A., Knehans, A. W., Bemben, D. A., Witten, M. S., Carter, J., and Bemben, M. G. The effects of creatine and whey protein supplementation on body composition in men aged 48 to 72 years during resistance training. J Nutr Health Aging 2008;12(3):208-212. View abstract.
- Elsadek, H. M. and et al. Effect of Whey Protein Toothpaste and Powder in Normal and Diabetics. Journal of Applied Sciences Research 2009;5(9):1259-1264.
- Eriksen, E. K., Holm, H., Jensen, E., Aaboe, R., Devold, T. G., Jacobsen, M., and Vegarud, G. E. Different digestion of caprine whey proteins by human and porcine gastrointestinal enzymes. Br J Nutr 2010;104(3):374-381. View abstract.
- Errichiello, L., Pezzella, M., Santulli, L., Striano, S., Zara, F., Minetti, C., Mainardi, P., and Striano, P. A proof-of-concept trial of the whey protein alfa-lactalbumin in chronic cortical myoclonus. Mov Disord. 2011;26(14):2573-2575. View abstract.
- Esteves de Oliveira, F. C., Pinheiro Volp, A. C., and Alfenas, R. C. Impact of different protein sources in the glycemic and insulinemic responses. Nutr Hosp. 2011;26(4):669-676. View abstract.
- Exl, B. M., Deland, U., Secretin, M. C., Preysch, U., Wall, M., and Shmerling, D. H. Improved general health status in an unselected infant population following an allergen-reduced dietary intervention programme: the ZUFF-STUDY-PROGRAMME. Part II: infant growth and health status to age 6 months. ZUg-FrauenFeld. Eur J Nutr 2000;39(4):145-156. View abstract.
- Exl, B. M., Deland, U., Wall, M., Preysch, U., Secretin, M. C., and Shmerling, D. H. Zug-Frauenfeld nutritional survey ("Zuff Study"): allergen-reduced nutrition in normal infant population and its healthrelated effects: results at the age of six months. Nutr Res 1998;18(8):1443-1462.
- Farnfield, M. M., Trenerry, C., Carey, K. A., and Cameron-Smith, D. Plasma amino acid response after ingestion of different whey protein fractions. Int J Food Sci Nutr 5-8-2008;1-11. View abstract.
- Foltz, M., Ansems, P., Schwarz, J., Tasker, M. C., Lourbakos, A., and Gerhardt, C. C. Protein hydrolysates induce CCK release from enteroendocrine cells and act as partial agonists of the CCK1 receptor. J Agric.Food Chem. 2-13-2008;56(3):837-843. View abstract.
- Freeman, S. L., Fisher, L., German, J. B., Leung, P. S., Prince, H., Selmi, C., Naguwa, S. M., and Gershwin, M. E. Dairy proteins and the response to pneumovax in senior citizens: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot study. Ann N.Y.Acad.Sci 2010;1190:97-103. View abstract.
- Frestedt, J. L., Zenk, J. L., Kuskowski, M. A., Ward, L. S., and Bastian, E. D. A whey-protein supplement increases fat loss and spares lean muscle in obese subjects: a randomized human clinical study. Nutr Metab (Lond) 2008;5:8. View abstract.
- Frid, A. H., Nilsson, M., Holst, J. J., and Bjorck, I. M. Effect of whey on blood glucose and insulin responses to composite breakfast and lunch meals in type 2 diabetic subjects. Am J Clin Nutr 2005;82(1):69-75. View abstract.
- Gad, A. S., Khadrawy, Y. A., El-Nekeety, A. A., Mohamed, S. R., Hassan, N. S., and Abdel-Wahhab, M. A. Antioxidant activity and hepatoprotective effects of whey protein and Spirulina in rats. Nutrition 8-12-2010; View abstract.
- Gattas, V., Barrera, G., Leiva, L., de la Maza, M. P., Bunout, D., Steenhout, P., Klassen, P., Voss, T., and Hirsch, S. [Glycemic and insulin indices of tube feeding formulas in healthy adults]. Rev Med Chil. 2007;135(7):879-884. View abstract.
- Gernigon, G., Piot, M., Beaucher, E., Jeantet, R., and Schuck, P. Physicochemical characterization of mozzarella cheese wheys and stretchwaters in comparison with several other sweet wheys. J Dairy Sci 2009;92(11):5371-5377. View abstract.
- Gilbert, J. A., Bendsen, N. T., Tremblay, A., and Astrup, A. Effect of proteins from different sources on body composition. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc.Dis. 2011;21 Suppl 2:B16-B31. View abstract.
- Gouni-Berthold, I., Schulte, D. M., Krone, W., Lapointe, J. F., Lemieux, P., Predel, H. G., and Berthold, H. K. The whey fermentation product malleable protein matrix decreases TAG concentrations in patients with the metabolic syndrome: a randomised placebo-controlled trial. Br.J Nutr 2012;107(11):1694-1706. View abstract.
- Graf, S., Egert, S., and Heer, M. Effects of whey protein supplements on metabolism: evidence from human intervention studies. Curr.Opin.Clin.Nutr Metab Care 2011;14(6):569-580. View abstract.
- Grey, V., Mohammed, S. R., Smountas, A. A., Bahlool, R., and Lands, L. C. Improved glutathione status in young adult patients with cystic fibrosis supplemented with whey protein. J.Cyst.Fibros. 2003;2(4):195-198. View abstract.
- Grobler, L., Siegfried, N., Visser, M. E., Mahlungulu, S. S., and Volmink, J. Nutritional interventions for reducing morbidity and mortality in people with HIV. Cochrane.Database.Syst.Rev. 2013;2:CD004536. View abstract.
- Guida, B., Piccoli, A., Trio, R., Laccetti, R., Nastasi, A., Paglione, A., Memoli, A., and Memoli, B. Dietary phosphate restriction in dialysis patients: A new approach for the treatment of hyperphosphataemia. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc.Dis. 7-5-2010; View abstract.
- Gunnerud, U. J., Heinzle, C., Holst, J. J., Ostman, E. M., and Bjorck, I. M. Effects of pre-meal drinks with protein and amino acids on glycemic and metabolic responses at a subsequent composite meal. PLoS.One. 2012;7(9):e44731. View abstract.
- Gunnerud, U., Holst, J. J., Ostman, E., and Bjorck, I. The glycemic, insulinemic and plasma amino acid responses to equi-carbohydrate milk meals, a pilot- study of bovine and human milk. Nutr J 2012;11:83. View abstract.
- Hackney, K. J., Bruenger, A. J., and Lemmer, J. T. Timing protein intake increases energy expenditure 24 h after resistance training. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2010;42(5):998-1003. View abstract.
- Halken, S., Hansen, K. S., Jacobsen, H. P., Estmann, A., Faelling, A. E., Hansen, L. G., Kier, S. R., Lassen, K., Lintrup, M., Mortensen, S., Ibsen, K. K., Osterballe, O., and Host, A. Comparison of a partially hydrolyzed infant formula with two extensively hydrolyzed formulas for allergy prevention: a prospective, randomized study. Pediatr Allergy Immunol. 2000;11(3):149-161. View abstract.
- Hall, W. L., Millward, D. J., Long, S. J., and Morgan, L. M. Casein and whey exert different effects on plasma amino acid profiles, gastrointestinal hormone secretion and appetite. Br J Nutr 2003;89(2):239-248. View abstract.
- Haraguchi, F. K., Pedrosa, M. L., de, Paula H., Dos Santos, R. C., and Silva, M. E. Evaluation of biological and biochemical quality of whey protein. J Med Food 2010;13(6):1505-1509. View abstract.
- Hayes, A. and Cribb, P. J. Effect of whey protein isolate on strength, body composition and muscle hypertrophy during resistance training. Curr Opin.Clin Nutr Metab Care 2008;11(1):40-44. View abstract.
- Hays, N. P., Kim, H., Wells, A. M., Kajkenova, O., and Evans, W. J. Effects of whey and fortified collagen hydrolysate protein supplements on nitrogen balance and body composition in older women. J Am Diet.Assoc. 2009;109(6):1082-1087. View abstract.
- Hernandez-Ledesma, B., Martin-Alvarez, P. J., and Pueyo, E. Assessment of the spectrophotometric method for determination of angiotensin-converting-enzyme activity: influence of the inhibition type. J Agric.Food Chem. 7-16-2003;51(15):4175-4179. View abstract.
- Hoac, T., Lundh, T., Purup, S., Onning, G., Sejrsen, K., and Akesson, B. Separation of selenium, zinc, and copper compounds in bovine whey using size exclusion chromatography linked to inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry. J Agric.Food Chem. 5-16-2007;55(10):4237-4243. View abstract.
- Hodgson, J. M., Zhu, K., Lewis, J. R., Kerr, D., Meng, X., Solah, V., Devine, A., Binns, C. W., Woodman, R. J., and Prince, R. L. Long-term effects of a protein-enriched diet on blood pressure in older women. Br.J Nutr 2012;107(11):1664-1672. View abstract.
- Hoffman, J. R., Ratamess, N. A., Tranchina, C. P., Rashti, S. L., Kang, J., and Faigenbaum, A. D. Effect of a proprietary protein supplement on recovery indices following resistance exercise in strength/power athletes. Amino.Acids 2010;38(3):771-778. View abstract.
- Holmer-Jensen, J., Hartvigsen, M. L., Mortensen, L. S., Astrup, A., de, Vrese M., Holst, J. J., Thomsen, C., and Hermansen, K. Acute differential effects of milk-derived dietary proteins on postprandial lipaemia in obese non-diabetic subjects. Eur.J Clin.Nutr 2012;66(1):32-38. View abstract.
- Hulmi, J. J., Kovanen, V., Lisko, I., Selanne, H., and Mero, A. A. The effects of whey protein on myostatin and cell cycle-related gene expression responses to a single heavy resistance exercise bout in trained older men. Eur.J Appl Physiol 2008;102(2):205-213. View abstract.
- Hulmi, J. J., Kovanen, V., Selanne, H., Kraemer, W. J., Hakkinen, K., and Mero, A. A. Acute and long-term effects of resistance exercise with or without protein ingestion on muscle hypertrophy and gene expression. Amino.Acids 2009;37(2):297-308. View abstract.
- Hursel, R., van der Zee, L., and Westerterp-Plantenga, M. S. Effects of a breakfast yoghurt, with additional total whey protein or caseinomacropeptide-depleted alpha-lactalbumin-enriched whey protein, on diet-induced thermogenesis and appetite suppression. Br J Nutr 2010;103(5):775-780. View abstract.
- Hwangbo, S., Azuma, N., Kurisaki, J., and Kanno, C. Purification and characterization of novel whey glycoprotein WGP-88 which binds to a monoclonal antibody to PAS-4 glycoprotein in the bovine milk fat globule membrane. Biosci.Biotechnol.Biochem. 1997;61(9):1568-1574. View abstract.
- Iskedjian, M., Szajewska, H., Spieldenner, J., Farah, B., and Berbari, J. Meta-analysis of a partially hydrolysed 100%-whey infant formula vs. extensively hydrolysed infant formulas in the prevention of atopic dermatitis. Curr.Med.Res Opin. 2010;26(11):2599-2606. View abstract.
- Iwamori, T., Nukumi, N., Itoh, K., Kano, K., Naito, K., Kurohmaru, M., Yamanouchi, K., and Tojo, H. Bacteriostatic activity of Whey Acidic Protein (WAP). J Vet.Med Sci 2010;72(5):621-625. View abstract.
- James, L. J., Gingell, R., and Evans, G. H. Whey protein addition to a carbohydrate-electrolyte rehydration solution ingested after exercise in the heat. J Athl.Train. 2012;47(1):61-66. View abstract.
- James, L. Milk protein and the restoration of fluid balance after exercise. Med.Sport Sci 2012;59:120-126. View abstract.
- Josse, A. R. and Phillips, S. M. Impact of milk consumption and resistance training on body composition of female athletes. Med.Sport Sci 2012;59:94-103. View abstract.
- Juvonen, K. R., Karhunen, L. J., Vuori, E., Lille, M. E., Karhu, T., Jurado-Acosta, A., Laaksonen, D. E., Mykkanen, H. M., Niskanen, L. K., Poutanen, K. S., and Herzig, K. H. Structure modification of a milk protein-based model food affects postprandial intestinal peptide release and fullness in healthy young men. Br.J Nutr 2011;106(12):1890-1898. View abstract.
- Kalman, D., Feldman, S., Martinez, M., Krieger, D. R., and Tallon, M. J. Effect of protein source and resistance training on body composition and sex hormones. J.Int.Soc.Sports Nutr. 2007;4:4. View abstract.
- Kaplan, R. J., Greenwood, C. E., Winocur, G., and Wolever, T. M. Dietary protein, carbohydrate, and fat enhance memory performance in the healthy elderly. Am J Clin Nutr 2001;74(5):687-693. View abstract.
- Kappeler, S., Farah, Z., and Puhan, Z. Alternative splicing of lactophorin mRNA from lactating mammary gland of the camel (Camelus dromedarius). J Dairy Sci 1999;82(10):2084-2093. View abstract.
- Kasim-Karakas, S. E., Almario, R. U., and Cunningham, W. Effects of protein versus simple sugar intake on weight loss in polycystic ovary syndrome (according to the National Institutes of Health criteria). Fertil.Steril. 2009;92(1):262-270. View abstract.
- Kent, K. D., Harper, W. J., and Bomser, J. A. Effect of whey protein isolate on intracellular glutathione and oxidant-induced cell death in human prostate epithelial cells. Toxicol.In Vitro 2003;17(1):27-33. View abstract.
- Kerasioti, E., Kiskini, A., Veskoukis, A., Jamurtas, A., Tsitsimpikou, C., Tsatsakis, A. M., Koutedakis, Y., Stagos, D., Kouretas, D., and Karathanos, V. Effect of a special carbohydrate-protein cake on oxidative stress markers after exhaustive cycling in humans. Food Chem Toxicol. 2012;50(8):2805-2810. View abstract.
- Kerksick, C. M., Rasmussen, C. J., Lancaster, S. L., Magu, B., Smith, P., Melton, C., Greenwood, M., Almada, A. L., Earnest, C. P., and Kreider, R. B. The effects of protein and amino acid supplementation on performance and training adaptations during ten weeks of resistance training. J Strength Cond.Res 2006;20(3):643-653. View abstract.
- Kerner, J. A., Jr. Use of infant formulas in preventing or postponing atopic manifestations. J Pediatr Gastroenterol.Nutr 1997;24(4):442-446. View abstract.
- Khoshoo, V., Zembo, M., King, A., Dhar, M., Reifen, R., and Pencharz, P. Incidence of gastroesophageal reflux with whey- and casein-based formulas in infants and in children with severe neurological impairment. J Pediatr Gastroenterol.Nutr 1996;22(1):48-55. View abstract.
- Kim, J., Ko, Y., Park, Y. K., Kim, N. I., Ha, W. K., and Cho, Y. Dietary effect of lactoferrin-enriched fermented milk on skin surface lipid and clinical improvement of acne vulgaris. Nutrition 2010;26(9):902-909. View abstract.
- Koopman, R., Verdijk, L. B., Beelen, M., Gorselink, M., Kruseman, A. N., Wagenmakers, A. J., Kuipers, H., and van Loon, L. J. Co-ingestion of leucine with protein does not further augment post-exercise muscle protein synthesis rates in elderly men. Br.J Nutr 2008;99(3):571-580. View abstract.
- Kruger, C. L., Marano, K. M., Morita, Y., Takada, Y., Kawakami, H., Kobayashi, T., Sunaga, M., Furukawa, M., and Kawamura, K. Safety evaluation of a milk basic protein fraction. Food Chem.Toxicol. 2007;45(7):1301-1307. View abstract.
- Kumar, P., Yadav, S., Srinivasan, A., Bhatia, K. L., and Singh, T. P. A novel 40 kDa protein from goat mammary secretions: purification, crystallization and preliminary X-ray diffraction studies. Acta Crystallogr.D.Biol Crystallogr. 2001;57(Pt 9):1332-1333. View abstract.
- Kume, H., Okazaki, K., and Sasaki, H. Hepatoprotective effects of whey protein on D-galactosamine-induced hepatitis and liver fibrosis in rats. Biosci.Biotechnol.Biochem. 2006;70(5):1281-1285. View abstract.
- Lam, B. C. C. and Yeung, C. Y. The effect of breast milk, infant formula and hypoallergenic formula on incidence of atopic manifestation in high risk infants. 1992;
- Lan-Pidhainy, X. and Wolever, T. M. The hypoglycemic effect of fat and protein is not attenuated by insulin resistance. Am J Clin Nutr 2010;91(1):98-105. View abstract.
Have you ever purchased WHEY PROTEIN?
Did you or will you purchase this product in-store or online?
Where did you or where do you plan to purchase this product?
Where did you or where do you plan to purchase this product?
What factors influenced or will influence your purchase? (check all that apply)
Where did you or where do you plan to purchase this product?
Do you buy vitamins online or instore?
What factors are most important to you? (check all that apply)