Bovine Whey Protein Concentrate, Concentré de Protéine de Petit-Lait Bovin, Fraction de Lactosérum, Fraction de Petit-Lait, Goat Milk Whey, Goat Whey, Isolat de Protéine de Lactosérum, Isolat de Protéine de Petit-Lait, Lactosérum de Lait de Chèvre, MBP, Milk Protein, Milk Protein Isolate, Mineral Whey Concentrate, Proteínas del Suero de la Leche, Protéine de Lactosérum, Protéine de Lait, Protéine de Petit-Lait, Whey, Whey Fraction, Whey Peptides, Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Hydrolysate, Whey Protein Isolate, WPC, WPI.<br/><br/>
Overview InformationWhey protein is the protein contained in whey, the watery portion of milk that separates from the curds when making cheese.
Whey protein is commonly used for improving athletic performance and increasing strength, but evidence to support these uses is mixed. Whey protein is also used to reverse weight loss in people with HIV and to help prevent allergic conditions in infants.
How does it work?Whey protein is a source of protein that might improve the nutrient content of the diet. Whey protein might also have effects on the immune system.
Uses & Effectiveness
Possibly Effective for
- Eczema. Research shows that infants who consume whey protein by mouth during the first 3-12 months of life have a lower risk of developing red, itchy skin by the age of 3 years.
- A condition associated with an increased risk for developing allergic reactions (atopic disease). Research shows that infants who consume whey protein by mouth during the first 3-12 months of life are less likely to be prone to allergies and allergic reactions compared to infants who receive standard formula. However, taking why protein might not be helpful for treating atopic diseases once they develop.
- Weight loss in people with HIV/AIDS. Some research shows that taking whey protein by mouth can help decrease weight loss in people with HIV.
- Red, scaly skin (plaque psoriasis). Some evidence shows that taking a specific whey protein extract daily for 8 weeks can reduce psoriasis symptoms.
Possibly Ineffective for
- A lung disease called chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Some research shows that taking a specific whey protein supplement daily for 6 weeks can improve shortness of breath but not lung function or quality of life in people with COPD. Other research suggests that taking whey protein supplements does not improve lung function, muscle function, or exercise in people with COPD.
- Osteoporosis. Research suggests that taking a drink containing whey protein daily for up to 2 years does not improve bone density in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis.
Insufficient Evidence for
- Muscle loss in the elderly. Whey protein might help to increase how much muscle older people have. However, it only seems to work when it is taken with other compounds like creatine or some fats, or with vitamins and minerals like calcium and vitamin D. Also, it is not known if whey protein helps build muscle in women or if it helps to increase strength.
- Asthma. Early research suggests that taking a specific type of whey protein daily for 30 days does not improve lung function in children with asthma.
- Athletic performance. Some research shows that taking whey protein in combination with strength training increases lean body mass, strength, and muscle size in healthy young adults. Taking whey protein also appears to improve running speed and recovery from exercise in untrained adults. But it does not appear to improve running speed or recovery in trained athletes. Taking whey protein also doesn’t seem to improve strength or muscle mass in overweight men with high cholesterol.
- Cancer. There is some evidence that taking whey protein might help reduce tumor size in some people with cancer that has spread.
- Cystic fibrosis. Early research suggests that taking whey protein daily for 28 days improves lung function in children, but not adults with cystic fibrosis.
- Diabetes. Early research shows that consuming a specific drink containing whey protein concentrate before a meal decreases blood sugar in people with diabetes.
- Asthma caused by exercise. Early research suggests that taking whey protein daily for 10 days improves lung function in people with asthma caused by exercise.
- Liver disease (hepatitis). Early research suggests that taking a specific type of whey protein daily for 12 weeks can improve liver function in some people with hepatitis B. However, it does not appear to benefit people with hepatitis C.
- HIV/AIDS. Early research suggests that taking whey protein for 4 months does not improve immune function in children with HIV.
- Infections developed while in the hospital. Early research suggests that taking a specific whey protein supplement daily for up to 28 days has a similar effect on the rate of hospital-acquired infections as taking a combination of zinc, selenium, glutamine, and metoclopramide.
- High cholesterol. Early research suggests that taking whey protein daily while participating in weight lifting exercises does not reduce cholesterol levels or body fat in overweight men with high cholesterol.
- High blood pressure. Taking 28 grams of whey protein or 20 grams of hydrolyzed whey protein daily for 6-8 weeks can lower blood pressure in people with high blood pressure. But taking low amounts of whey protein (2.6 grams daily) doesn’t have any benefit.
- Muscular disease (mitochondrial myopathies). Early research suggests that taking a whey protein supplement daily for one month does not improve muscle strength or quality of life in people with mitochondrial diseases.
- Liver disease not due to alcohol use (nonalcoholic steatohepatitis, NASH). Early research suggests that taking whey protein daily for 12 weeks can improve liver function in patients with NASH.
- Parkinson's disease. Some research shows that taking whey protein doesn't help Parkinson's disease symptoms.
- An ovary disorder known as polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). Early research suggests that taking a supplement containing whey protein daily for 2 months can reduce body weight, fat mass, and cholesterol in people with ovarian cysts. However, whey protein does not improve blood sugar and seems to decrease high-density lipoprotein (HDL or "good") cholesterol.
- Aching and stiffness caused by inflammation (polymyalgia rheumatica). Early research suggests that taking whey protein in a dairy product twice daily for 8 weeks does not improve muscle function, walking speed, or other movement tests in people with polymyalgia rheumatica.
- Weight loss. The effects of whey protein on weight loss seem to vary depending on whether it is used alone or along with dieting or exercise. Taking whey protein along with dieting might prevent the loss of lean muscle and increase the loss of body fat in people who are obese or overweight. This might improve overall body composition. But taking whey protein while dieting doesn’t seem to increase overall weight loss in most people who are obese or overweight. It’s too soon to know if taking whey protein without dieting improves weight loss. When used along with exercise, whey protein doesn’t seem to improve weight loss compared to exercise alone. In overweight teens, drinking a whey protein beverage for 12 weeks seems to increase weight and body mass index (BMI).
- Other conditions.
Side Effects & SafetyWhey protein is LIKELY SAFE for most children and adults when taken by mouth appropriately. High doses can cause some side effects such as increased bowel movements, nausea, thirst, bloating, cramps, reduced appetite, tiredness (fatigue), and headache.
Special Precautions & Warnings:Pregnancy and breast-feeding: There is not enough reliable information about the safety of taking whey protein if you are pregnant or breast feeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.
Milk allergy: If you are allergic to cow's milk, avoid using whey protein.
Do not take this combination
Levodopa interacts with WHEY PROTEIN
Whey protein might decrease how much levodopa the body absorbs. By decreasing how much levodopa the body absorbs, whey protein might decrease the effectiveness of levodopa. Do not take whey protein and levodopa at the same time.
Be cautious with this combination
Alendronate (Fosamax) interacts with WHEY PROTEIN
Whey protein can decrease how much alendronate (Fosamax) the body absorbs. Taking whey protein and alendronate (Fosamax) at the same time can decrease the effectiveness of alendronate (Fosamax). Don't take whey protein within two hours of taking alendronate (Fosamax).
Antibiotics (Quinolone antibiotics) interacts with WHEY PROTEIN
Whey protein might decrease how much antibiotic the body absorbs. Taking whey protein along with some antibiotics might decrease the effectiveness of some antibiotics. To avoid this interaction take whey protein supplements at least one hour after antibiotics.<br/><br/> Some of these antibiotics that might interact with whey protein include ciprofloxacin (Cipro), enoxacin (Penetrex), norfloxacin (Chibroxin, Noroxin), sparfloxacin (Zagam), trovafloxacin (Trovan), and grepafloxacin (Raxar).
Antibiotics (Tetracycline antibiotics) interacts with WHEY PROTEIN
Whey protein contains calcium. The calcium in whey protein can attach to tetracyclines in the stomach. This decreases the amount of tetracyclines that can be absorbed. Taking calcium with tetracyclines might decrease the effectiveness of tetracyclines. To avoid this interaction take whey protein two hours before or four hours after taking tetracyclines.<br/><br/> Some tetracyclines include demeclocycline (Declomycin), minocycline (Minocin), and tetracycline (Achromycin).
The following doses have been studied in scientific research:
- For HIV/AIDS-related weight loss: 8.4-84 grams of whey protein per day, 2.4 grams/kg per day in a high-calorie formula, or 42-84 grams per day in a glutamine-enriched formula.
- For red, scaly skin (plaque psoriasis): 5 grams per day of a specific whey protein extract product.
- Szajewska, H. and Horvath, A. Meta-analysis of the evidence for a partially hydrolyzed 100% whey formula for the prevention of allergic diseases. Curr Med Res Opin. 2010;26(2):423-437. View abstract.
- Tessari, P., Kiwanuka, E., Cristini, M., Zaramella, M., Enslen, M., Zurlo, C., and Garcia-Rodenas, C. Slow versus fast proteins in the stimulation of beta-cell response and the activation of the entero-insular axis in type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Metab Res Rev. 2007;23(5):378-385. View abstract.
- Testing of nutritional supplement for wasting. Res Initiat.Treat.Action. 1999;5(1):18. View abstract.
- Thompson, J. M., Brett, A., and Rose, S. J. Dietary management of intestinal lymphangiectasia complicated by short gut syndrome. Hum Nutr Appl Nutr 1986;40(2):136-140. View abstract.
- Tipton, K. D., Elliott, T. A., Cree, M. G., Wolf, S. E., Sanford, A. P., and Wolfe, R. R. Ingestion of casein and whey proteins result in muscle anabolism after resistance exercise. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2004;36(12):2073-2081. View abstract.
- Toba, Y., Takada, Y., Matsuoka, Y., Morita, Y., Motouri, M., Hirai, T., Suguri, T., Aoe, S., Kawakami, H., Kumegawa, M., Takeuchi, A., and Itabashi, A. Milk basic protein promotes bone formation and suppresses bone resorption in healthy adult men. Biosci.Biotechnol.Biochem. 2001;65(6):1353-1357. View abstract.
- Trocki, O., Mochizuki, H., Dominioni, L., and Alexander, J. W. Intact protein versus free amino acids in the nutritional support of thermally injured animals. JPEN J Parenter.Enteral Nutr 1986;10(2):139-145. View abstract.
- Tsai, Y. T., Chou, C. C., and Hsieh, K. H. The effect of hypoallergenic formula on the occurrence of allergic diseases in high risk infants. Zhonghua Min Guo Xiao.Er.Ke Yi Xue Hui Za Zhi 1991;32(3):137-144. View abstract.
- Tseng, Y. M., Chen, S. Y., Chen, C. H., Jin, Y. R., Tsai, S. M., Chen, I. J., Lee, J. H., Chiu, C. C., and Tsai, L. Y. Effects of alcohol-induced human peripheral blood mononuclear cell (PBMC) pretreated whey protein concentrate (WPC) on oxidative damage. J Agric.Food Chem. 9-10-2008;56(17):8141-8147. View abstract.
- Tseng, Y. M., Lin, S. K., Hsiao, J. K., Chen, I. J., Lee, J. H., Wu, S. H., and Tsai, L. Y. Whey protein concentrate promotes the production of glutathione (GSH) by GSH reductase in the PC12 cell line after acute ethanol exposure. Food Chem.Toxicol. 2006;44(4):574-578. View abstract.
- Uenishi, K., Ishida, H., Toba, Y., Aoe, S., Itabashi, A., and Takada, Y. Milk basic protein increases bone mineral density and improves bone metabolism in healthy young women. Osteoporos.Int 2007;18(3):385-390. View abstract.
- van Dissel, J. T., de, Groot N., Hensgens, C. M., Numan, S., Kuijper, E. J., Veldkamp, P., and van 't, Wout J. Bovine antibody-enriched whey to aid in the prevention of a relapse of Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhoea: preclinical and preliminary clinical data. J Med Microbiol. 2005;54(Pt 2):197-205. View abstract.
- van Elswijk, D. A., Diefenbach, O., van der Berg, S., Irth, H., Tjaden, U. R., and van der Greef, J. Rapid detection and identification of angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors by on-line liquid chromatography-biochemical detection, coupled to electrospray mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr.A 12-5-2003;1020(1):45-58. View abstract.
- van Hall, G., Saris, W. H., van de Schoor, P. A., and Wagenmakers, A. J. The effect of free glutamine and peptide ingestion on the rate of muscle glycogen resynthesis in man. Int.J.Sports Med. 2000;21(1):25-30. View abstract.
- van, Hall G., Shirreffs, S. M., and Calbet, J. A. Muscle glycogen resynthesis during recovery from cycle exercise: no effect of additional protein ingestion. J Appl Physiol 2000;88(5):1631-1636. View abstract.
- Vandenplas, Y. Atopy at 3 years in high-risk infants fed whey hydrolysate or conventional formula. Lancet 5-2-1992;339(8801):1118. View abstract.
- Vandenplas, Y., Deneyer, M., Sacre, L., and Loeb, H. Preliminary data on a field study with a new hypo-allergic formula. Eur J Pediatr 1988;148(3):274-277. View abstract.
- Vandenplas, Y., Hauser, B., Van den Borre, C., Clybouw, C., Mahler, T., Hachimi-Idrissi, S., Deraeve, L., Malfroot, A., and Dab, I. The long-term effect of a partial whey hydrolysate formula on the prophylaxis of atopic disease. Eur J Pediatr 1995;154(6):488-494. View abstract.
- Vandenplas, Y., Malfroot, A., and Dab, I. Short-term prevention of cow's milk protein allergy in infants. Immunology and Allergy Practice 1989;11(10):430-437.
- Veldhorst, M. A., Nieuwenhuizen, A. G., Hochstenbach-Waelen, A., van Vught, A. J., Westerterp, K. R., Engelen, M. P., Brummer, R. J., Deutz, N. E., and Westerterp-Plantenga, M. S. Dose-dependent satiating effect of whey relative to casein or soy. Physiol Behav 3-23-2009;96(4-5):675-682. View abstract.
- Vermeirssen, V., Van Camp, J., Augustijns, P., and Verstraete, W. Angiotensin-I Converting Enzyme (ACE) inhibitory peptides derived from pea and whey protein. Meded.Rijksuniv.Gent Fak.Landbouwkd.Toegep.Biol.Wet. 2002;67(4):27-30. View abstract.
- Vermeirssen, V., van der Bent, A., Van, Camp J., van, Amerongen A., and Verstraete, W. A quantitative in silico analysis calculates the angiotensin I converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitory activity in pea and whey protein digests. Biochimie 2004;86(3):231-239. View abstract.
- Vermeirssen, V., Van, Camp J., and Verstraete, W. Optimisation and validation of an angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibition assay for the screening of bioactive peptides. J Biochem.Biophys.Methods 3-4-2002;51(1):75-87. View abstract.
- Vermeirssen, V., Van, Camp J., Devos, L., and Verstraete, W. Release of angiotensin I converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitory activity during in vitro gastrointestinal digestion: from batch experiment to semicontinuous model. J Agric.Food Chem. 9-10-2003;51(19):5680-5687. View abstract.
- von Mutius, E. Maternal farm exposure/ingestion of unpasteurized cow's milk and allergic disease. Curr.Opin.Gastroenterol. 2012;28(6):570-576. View abstract.
- von, Berg A., Filipiak-Pittroff, B., Kramer, U., Link, E., Bollrath, C., Brockow, I., Koletzko, S., Grubl, A., Heinrich, J., Wichmann, H. E., Bauer, C. P., Reinhardt, D., and Berdel, D. Preventive effect of hydrolyzed infant formulas persists until age 6 years: long-term results from the German Infant Nutritional Intervention Study (GINI). J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2008;121(6):1442-1447. View abstract.
- von, Berg A., Koletzko, S., Filipiak-Pittroff, B., Laubereau, B., Grubl, A., Wichmann, H. E., Bauer, C. P., Reinhardt, D., and Berdel, D. Certain hydrolyzed formulas reduce the incidence of atopic dermatitis but not that of asthma: three-year results of the German Infant Nutritional Intervention Study. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2007;119(3):718-725. View abstract.
- von, Berg A., Koletzko, S., Grubl, A., Filipiak-Pittroff, B., Wichmann, H. E., Bauer, C. P., Reinhardt, D., and Berdel, D. The effect of hydrolyzed cow's milk formula for allergy prevention in the first year of life: the German Infant Nutritional Intervention Study, a randomized double-blind trial. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2003;111(3):533-540. View abstract.
- Walker, T. B., Smith, J., Herrera, M., Lebegue, B., Pinchak, A., and Fischer, J. The influence of 8 weeks of whey-protein and leucine supplementation on physical and cognitive performance. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc.Metab 2010;20(5):409-417. View abstract.
- Walsh, D. J., Bernard, H., Murray, B. A., MacDonald, J., Pentzien, A. K., Wright, G. A., Wal, J. M., Struthers, A. D., Meisel, H., and FitzGerald, R. J. In vitro generation and stability of the lactokinin beta-lactoglobulin fragment (142-148). J Dairy Sci 2004;87(11):3845-3857. View abstract.
- Watanabe, A., Okada, K., Shimizu, Y., Wakabayashi, H., Higuchi, K., Niiya, K., Kuwabara, Y., Yasuyama, T., Ito, H., Tsukishiro, T., Kondoh, Y., Emi, N., and Kohri, H. Nutritional therapy of chronic hepatitis by whey protein (non-heated). J.Med. 2000;31(5-6):283-302. View abstract.
- Weinert, D. J. Nutrition and muscle protein synthesis: a descriptive review. J Can Chiropr.Assoc 2009;53(3):186-193. View abstract.
- Weinheimer, E. M., Conley, T. B., Kobza, V. M., Sands, L. P., Lim, E., Janle, E. M., and Campbell, W. W. Whey protein supplementation does not affect exercise training-induced changes in body composition and indices of metabolic syndrome in middle-aged overweight and obese adults. J Nutr 2012;142(8):1532-1539. View abstract.
- Whitt, K. N., Ward, S. C., Deniz, K., Liu, L., Odin, J. A., and Qin, L. Cholestatic liver injury associated with whey protein and creatine supplements. Semin.Liver Dis. 2008;28(2):226-231. View abstract.
- Wilde, C. J., Addey, C. V., Boddy, L. M., and Peaker, M. Autocrine regulation of milk secretion by a protein in milk. Biochem.J 1-1-1995;305 ( Pt 1):51-58. View abstract.
- Willems, R., Duchateau, J., Magrez, P., Denis, R., and Casimir, G. Influence of hypoallergenic milk formula on the incidence of early allergic manifestations in infants predisposed to atopic diseases. Ann Allergy 1993;71(2):147-150. View abstract.
- Willoughby, D. S., Stout, J. R., and Wilborn, C. D. Effects of resistance training and protein plus amino acid supplementation on muscle anabolism, mass, and strength. Amino.Acids 2007;32(4):467-477. View abstract.
- Wilmore, D. W., Goodwin, C. W., Aulick, L. H., Powanda, M. C., Mason, A. D., Jr., and Pruitt, B. A., Jr. Effect of injury and infection on visceral metabolism and circulation. Ann Surg 1980;192(4):491-504. View abstract.
- Wlasiuk, G. and Vercelli, D. The farm effect, or: when, what and how a farming environment protects from asthma and allergic disease. Curr.Opin.Allergy Clin.Immunol. 2012;12(5):461-466. View abstract.
- Yamamoto, N., Maeno, M., and Takano, T. Purification and characterization of an antihypertensive peptide from a yogurt-like product fermented by Lactobacillus helveticus CPN4. J Dairy Sci 1999;82(7):1388-1393. View abstract.
- Young, K. W., Munro, I. C., Taylor, S. L., Veldkamp, P., and van Dissel, J. T. The safety of whey protein concentrate derived from the milk of cows immunized against Clostridium difficile. Regul.Toxicol.Pharmacol 2007;47(3):317-326. View abstract.
- Zemel, M. B. Proposed role of calcium and dairy food components in weight management and metabolic health. Phys.Sportsmed. 2009;37(2):29-39. View abstract.
- Zhang, X. and Beynen, A. C. Lowering effect of dietary milk-whey protein v. casein on plasma and liver cholesterol concentrations in rats. Br J Nutr 1993;70(1):139-146. View abstract.
- Zhao, X. T., Miller, R. H., McCamish, M. A., Wang, L., and Lin, H. C. Protein absorption depends on load-dependent inhibition of intestinal transit in dogs. Am J Clin Nutr 1996;64(3):319-323. View abstract.
- Zhao, Y., Martin, B. R., Wastney, M. E., Schollum, L., and Weaver, C. M. Acute versus chronic effects of whey proteins on calcium absorption in growing rats. Exp.Biol Med (Maywood.) 2005;230(8):536-542. View abstract.
- Zhu, K., Meng, X., Kerr, D. A., Devine, A., Solah, V., Binns, C. W., and Prince, R. L. The effects of a two-year randomized, controlled trial of whey protein supplementation on bone structure, IGF-1, and urinary calcium excretion in older postmenopausal women. J Bone Miner.Res 2011;26(9):2298-2306. View abstract.
- Zommara, M., Toubo, H., Sakono, M., and Imaizumi, K. Prevention of peroxidative stress in rats fed on a low vitamin E-containing diet by supplementing with a fermented bovine milk whey preparation: effect of lactic acid and beta-lactoglobulin on the antiperoxidative action. Biosci.Biotechnol.Biochem. 1998;62(4):710-717. View abstract.
- Zou, Z. Y., Lin, X. M., Xu, X. R., Xu, R., Ma, L., Li, Y., and Wang, M. F. Evaluation of milk basic protein supplementation on bone density and bone metabolism in Chinese young women. Eur.J Nutr 2009;48(5):301-306. View abstract.
- Arciero PJ, Baur D, Connelly S, et al. Timed-daily ingestion of whey protein and exercise training reduces visceral adipose tissue mass and improves insulin resistance: the PRISE study. J Appl Physiol (1985) 2014; 117(1):1-10. View abstract.
- Barak AJ, Beckenhauer HC, Tuma DJ. Betaine, ethanol, and the liver, a review. Alcohol 1996;13:395-8. View abstract.
- Baruchel S, Olivier R, Wainberg M. Anti-HIV and anti-apoptotic activity of the whey protein concentrate: IMMUNOCAL. Int Conf AIDS 1994;10:32 (abstract # 421A).
- Bell KE, Snijders T, Zulyniak M, et al. A whey protein-based multi-ingredient nutritional supplement stimulates gains in lean body mass and strength in healthy older men: A randomized controlled trial. PLoS One. 2017;12(7):e0181387. View abstract.
- Bell SJ. Whey protein concentrates with and without immunoglobulins: a review. J Med Food 2000;3:1-13.
- Belobrajdic DP, McIntosh GH, Owens JA. A high-whey-protein diet reduces body weight gain and alters insulin sensitivity relative to red meat in Wister rats. J Nutr 2004;134:1454-8. View abstract.
- Bounous G, Baruchel S, Falutz J, Gold P. Whey proteins as a food supplement in HIV-seropositive individuals. Clin Invest Med 1993;16:204-9. View abstract.
- Bounous G, Batist G, Gold P. Whey proteins in cancer prevention. Cancer Lett 1991;7:91-4. View abstract.
- Burton-Freeman, B. M. Glycomacropeptide (GMP) is not critical to whey-induced satiety, but may have a unique role in energy intake regulation through cholecystokinin (CCK). Physiol Behav 2008;93(1-2):379-387. View abstract.
- Candow DG, Burke NC, Smith-Palmer T, Burke DG. Effect of whey and soy protein supplementation combined with resistance training in young adults. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab 2006;16:233-44. View abstract.
- Chanet A, Verlaan S, Salles J, et al. Supplementing breakfast with a Vitamin D and leucine-enriched whey protein medical nutrition drink enhances postprandial muscle protein synthesis and muscle mass in healthy older men. J Nutr. 2017;147(12):2262-2271. View abstract.
- Cribb PJ, Wiliams AD, Carey MF, Hayes A. The effect of whey isolate and resistance training on strength, body composition, and plasma glutamine. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab 2006;16:494-509. View abstract.
- Cribb PJ, Williams AD, Stathis CG, et al. Effects of whey isolate, creatine, and resistance training on muscle hypertrophy. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2007;39:298-307. View abstract.
- Dallas S, Stempak D, Koren G, et al. Whey protein concentrate (WPC) modulation of lymphocyte glutathione levels in vitro. Clin Pharmacol Ther 2000;67:156 (abstract PIII-56).
- Engelson ES, et al. Effect of a high protein diet upon protein metabolism in HIV-infected men and women. Int Conf AIDS 1998;12:553 (abstract #32166).
- Fayer R, Guidry A, Blagburn BL. Immunotherapeutic efficacy of bovine colostral immunoglobulins from a hyperimmunized cow against cryptosporidiosis in neonatal mice. Infect Immun 1990;58:2962-5. View abstract.
- Fekete ÁA, Giromini C, Chatzidiakou Y, Givens DI, Lovegrove JA. Whey protein lowers blood pressure and improves endothelial function and lipid biomarkers in adults with prehypertension and mild hypertension: results from the chronic Whey2Go randomized controlled trial. Am J Clin Nutr. 2016;104(6):1534-1544. View abstract.
- Freeland-Graves JH, Lin PH. Plasma uptake of manganese as affected by oral loads of manganese, calcium, milk, phosphorus, copper, and zinc. J Am Coll Nutr 1991;10:38-43. View abstract.
- Fukushima Y, Kawata Y, Onda T, Kitagawa M. Long-term consumption of whey hydrolysate formula by lactating women reduces the transfer of beta-lactoglobulin into human milk. Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo) 1997;43:673-8. View abstract.
- Giezenaar C, Trahair LG, Luscombe-Marsh ND, et al. Effects of randomized whey-protein loads on energy intake, appetite, gastric emptying, and plasma gut-hormone concentrations in older men and women. Am J Clin Nutr. 2017;106(3):865-877. View abstract.
- Hakkak R, Korourian S, Shelnutt SR, et al. Diets containing whey proteins or soy protein isolate protect against 7,12-dimethylbenz(a)anthracene-induced mammary tumors in female rats. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2000;9:113-7. View abstract.
- Hansen M, Bangsbo J, Jensen J, et al. Effect of whey protein hydrolysate on performance and recovery of top-class orienteering runners. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab 2015; 25(2):97-109. View abstract.
- Hector AJ, Marcotte GR, Churchward-Venne TA, et al. Whey protein supplementation preserves postprandial myofibrillar protein synthesis during short-term energy restriction in overweight and obese adults. J Nutr 2015; 145(2):246-52. View abstract.
- Hwang PS, Andre TL, McKinley-Barnard SK, et al. Resistance training-induced elevations in muscular strength in trained men are maintained after 2 weeks of detraining and not differentially affected by whey protein supplementation. J Strength Cond Res. 2017;31(4):869-881. View abstract.
- Jakubowicz D, Froy O, Ahrén B, et al. Incretin, insulinotropic and glucose-lowering effects of whey protein pre-load in type 2 diabetes: a randomised clinical trial. Diabetologia 2014; 57(9):1807-11. View abstract.
- Kennedy RS, Konok GP, Bounous G, et al. The use of a whey protein concentrate in the treatment of patients with metastatic carcinoma: a phase I-II clinical study. Anticancer Res 1995;15:2643-9. View abstract.
- Keogh, J. B. and Clifton, P. The effect of meal replacements high in glycomacropeptide on weight loss and markers of cardiovascular disease risk. Am J Clin Nutr 2008;87(6):1602-1605. View abstract.
- Keogh, J. B., Woonton, B. W., Taylor, C. M., Janakievski, F., Desilva, K., and Clifton, P. M. Effect of glycomacropeptide fractions on cholecystokinin and food intake. Br J Nutr 2010;104(2):286-290. View abstract.
- Kerstetter JE, Bihuniak JD, Brindisi J, et al. The effect of a whey protein supplement on bone mass in older Caucasian adults. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2015; 100(6):2214-22. View abstract.
- Kim JM, White RH. Effect of vitamin E on the anticoagulant response to warfarin. Am J Cardiol 1996;77:545-6. View abstract.
- Lam, S. M., Moughan, P. J., Awati, A., and Morton, H. R. The influence of whey protein and glycomacropeptide on satiety in adult humans. Physiol Behav 2009;96(1):162-168. View abstract.
- Laoprasert N, Wallen ND, Jones RT, et al. Anaphylaxis in a milk-allergic child following ingestion of lemon sorbet containing trace quantities of milk. J Food Prot 1998;61:1522-4. View abstract.
- Lopes Gomes D, Moehlecke M, Lopes da Silva FB, et al. Whey protein supplementation enhances body fat and weight loss in women long after bariatric surgery: a randomized controlled trial. Obes Surg. 2017;27(2):424-431. View abstract.
- MacKenzie-Shalders KL, Byrne NM, Slater GJ, et al. The effect of a whey protein supplement dose on satiety and food intake in resistance training athletes. Appetite 2015; 92:178-84. View abstract.
- McIntosh GH. Colon cancer: dietary modifications required for a balanced protective diet. Prev Med 1993;22:767-74. View abstract.
- Miller PE, Alexander DD, Perez V. Effects of whey protein and resistance exercise on body composition: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. J Am Coll Nutr. 2014;33(2):163-75. View abstract.
- Nelson L, Rao A, Olson P. Unique hydrolyzed whey protein isolates with antihypertensive activity. Institute of Food Tech 2000 Ann Mtg & Food Expo:abstract 38-6. Available at: ift.confex.com/ift/2000/techprogram/paper_5129.htm
- Niikawa M, Hayashi H, Sato T, et al. Isolation of substances from glossy privet (Ligustrum lucidum Ait.) inhibiting the mutagenicity of benzo[a]pyrene in bacteria. Mutat Res 1993;319:1-9. View abstract.
- Papenburg R, Bounous G, Fleiszer D, Gold P. Dietary milk proteins inhibit the development of dimethylhydrazine-induced malignancy. Tumor Biol 1990;11:129-36. View abstract.
- Power O, Hallihan A, Jakeman P. Human insulinotropic response to oral ingrestion of native and hydrolysed whey protrein. Amino Acids 2009;37:333-9. View abstract.
- Rencuzogullari I, Börekçi A, Karakoyun S, et al. Coronary thrombosis in three coronary arteries due to whey protein. Am J Emerg Med. 2017;35(4):664.e3-664.e4. View abstract.
- Salomon SB, Jung J, Voss T, et al. An elemental diet containing medium-chain triglycerides and enzymatically hydrolyzed protein can improve gastrointestinal tolerance in people infected with HIV. J Am Diet Assoc 1998;98:460-2. View abstract.
- Schroer AB, Saunders MJ, Baur DA, et al. Cycling time trial performance may be impaired by whey protein and L-alanine intake during prolonged exercise. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab 2014; 24(5):507-15. View abstract.
- Semla TP, Beizer JL, Higbee MD. Geriatric Dosage Handbook. 4th ed. Hudson, OH: Lexicomp, 1998.
- Shirato M, Tsuchiya Y, Sato T, et al. Effects of combined ß-hydroxy-ß-methylbutyrate (HMB) and whey protein ingestion on symptoms of eccentric exercise-induced muscle damage. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2016;13:7. View abstract.
- Sinnott RA, Maddela RL, Nelson ED, et al. The modifying effects of a calcium-rich whey protein supplement (OsoLean™ powder) on weight loss and waist circumference in overweight subjects: a preliminary study. OsoLean Open Nutraceuticals J 2009.
- Srivastava Y, Venkatakrishna-Bhatt H, Verma Y, et al. Antidiabetic and adaptogenic properties of Momordica charantia extract: An experimental and clinical evaluation. Phytother Res 1993;7:285-9.
- Tahavorgar A, Vafa M, Shidfar F, et al. Whey protein preloads are more beneficial than soy protein preloads in regulating appetite, calorie intake, anthropometry, and body composition of overweight and obese men. Nutr Res 2014; 34(10):856-61. View abstract.
- Tang JE, Manolakos JJ, Kujbida GW, et al. Minimal whey protain with carbohydrate stimulates muscle protein synthesis following resistance exercise in trained young men. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab 2007;32:1132-8. View abstract.
- Tang JE, Moore DR, Kujbida GW, et al. Ingestion of whey hydrolysate, casein, or soy protein isolate: effects on mixed muscle protein synthesis at rest and following resistance exercise in young men. J Appl Physiol 2009;107:987-92. View abstract.
- Taylor LW, Wilborn C, Roberts MD, White A, Dugan K. Eight weeks of pre- and postexercise whey protein supplementation increases lean body mass and improves performance in Division III collegiate female basketball players. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2016;41(3):249-54. View abstract.
- Tosukhowong P, Boonla C, Dissayabutra T, et al. Biochemical and clinical effects of whey protein supplementation in Parkinson's disease: A pilot study. J Neurol Sci. 2016;367:162-70. View abstract.
- Vandenplas Y, Hauser B, Van den Borre C, et al. Effect of a whey hydrolysate prophylaxis of atopic disease. Ann Allergy 1992;68:419-24. View abstract.
- Veldhorst, M. A., Nieuwenhuizen, A. G., Hochstenbach-Waelen, A., Westerterp, K. R., Engelen, M. P., Brummer, R. J., Deutz, N. E., and Westerterp-Plantenga, M. S. Effects of complete whey-protein breakfasts versus whey without GMP-breakfasts on energy intake and satiety. Appetite 2009;52(2):388-395. View abstract.
- Vergel NR, Salvato P, Mooney M. Anabolic steroids, resistance exercise and protein supplementation effect on lean body mass in HIV+ patients. Int Conf AIDS 1998;12:557 (abstract # 32185).
- Verreijen AM, Verlaan S, Engberink MF, et al. A high whey protein-, leucine-, and vitamin D-enriched supplement preserves muscle mass during intentional weight loss in obese older adults: a double-blind randomized controlled trial. Am J Clin Nutr 2015; 101(2):279-86. View abstract.
- Vilella AL, Limsuwat C, Williams DR, Seifert CF. Cholestatic jaundice as a result of combination designer supplement ingestion. Ann Pharmacother 2013;47(7-8):e33. View abstract.
- Volek JS, Volk BM, Gómez AL, et al. Whey protein supplementation during resistance training augments lean body mass. J Am Coll Nutr 2013;32(2):122-35. View abstract.
- Voss T, Rowe B, Graf L, et al. Management of HIV-related weight loss and diarrhea with an enteral formula containing whey peptides and medium-chain triglycerides. Int Conf AIDS 1991;7:223 (abstract # WB2165).
- Witard OC, Jackman SR, Breen L, et al. Myofibrillar muscle protein synthesis rates subsequent to a meal in response to increasing doses of whey protein at rest and after resistance exercise. Am J Clin Nutr 2014; 99(1):86-95. View abstract.
- Wong CW, Liu AH, Regester GO, et al. Influence of whey and purified whey proteins on neutrophil functions in sheep. J Dairy Res 1997;64:281-8. View abstract.
- Wong CW, Watson DL. Immunomodulatory effects of dietary whey proteins in mice. J Dairy Res 1995;62:359-68. View abstract.
- Wright CS, McMorrow AM, Weinheimer-Haus EM, Campbell WW. Whey protein supplementation and higher total protein intake do not influence bone quantity in overweight and obese adults following a 36-week exercise and diet intervention. J Nutr. 2017;147(2):179-186. View abstract.
- Zhu K, Kerr DA, Meng X, et al. Two-year whey protein supplementation did not enhance muscle mass and physical function in well-nourished healthy older postmenopausal women. J Nutr 2015;145(11):2520-6. View abstract.
- Sano M, Bell K, Cote L, et al. Double-blind parallel design pilot study of acetyl levocarnitine in patients with Alzheimer's Disease. Arch Neurol 1992;49:1137-41. View abstract.
- Scarpini E, Sacilotto G, Baron P, et al. Effect of acetyl-L-carnitine in the treatment of painful peripheral neuropathies in HIV+ patients. J Peripher Nerv Syst 1997;2:250-2. View abstract.
- Schlenzig JS, Charpentier C, Rabier D, et al. L-carnitine: a way to decrease cellular toxicity of ifosfamide? Eur J Pediatr 1995;154:686-7. View abstract.
- Sekas G, Paul HS. Hyperammonemia and carnitine deficiency in a patient receiving sulfadiazine and pyrimethamine. Am J Med 1993;95:112-3. View abstract.
- Shapira Y, Gutman A. Muscle carnitine deficiency in patients using valproic acid. J Pediatrics 1991;118:646-9. View abstract.
- Sheetz MJ, King GL. Molecular understanding of hyperglycemia's adverse effects for diabetic complications. JAMA 2002;288:2579-88. View abstract.
- Sima AAF, Calvani M, Mehra M, et al. Acetyl-L-carnitine improves pain, nerve regeneration, and vibratory perception in patients with chronic diabetic neuropathy: An analysis of two randomized, placebo-controlled trials. Diabetes Care 2005;28:89-94. View abstract.
- Spagnoli A, Lucca U, Menasce G, et al. Long-term acetyl-L-carnitine treatment in Alzheimer's Disease. Neurology 1991;41:1726-32. View abstract.
- Stanley CA. Carnitine deficiency disorders in children. Ann N Y Acad Sci 2004;1033:42-51. View abstract.
- Suzuki H, Hibino H, Inoue Y, Mikami A, Matsumoto H, Mikami K. Effect of acetyl-l-carnitine in elderly patient who presented with hyperammonemia associated with administration of sodium valproate. Asian J Psychiatr. 2017;30:179. View abstract.
- Suzuki H, Hibino H, Inoue Y, Mikami K. The benefits of the concomitant use of antidepressants and acetyl-l-carnitine in the treatment of moderate depression. Asian J Psychiatr. 2017 Oct 23. [Epub ahead of print]. View abstract.
- Tamamogullari N, Silig Y, Icagasioglu S, Atalay A. Carnitine deficiency in diabetes mellitus complications. J Diabetes Complications 1999;13:251-3. View abstract.
- Tanphaichitr N. In vitro stimulation of human sperm motility by acetylcarnitine. Int J Fertil 1977;22:85-91. View abstract.
- Tempesta E, Casella L, Pirrongelli C, et al. L-acetylcarnitine in depressed elderly subjects. A cross-over study vs placebo. Drugs Exp Clin Res 1987;13:417-23. View abstract.
- Tempesta E, Troncon R, Janiri L, et al. Role of acetyl-L-carnitine in the treatment of cognitive deficit in chronic alcoholism. Int J Clin Pharmacol Res 1990;10:101-7. View abstract.
- Thal LJ, Carta A, Clarke WR, et al. A 1-year multicenter placebo-controlled study of acetyl-L-carnitine in patients with Alzheimer's Disease. Neurology 1996;47:705-11. View abstract.
- Thom H, Carter PE, Cole GF, et al. Ammonia and carnitine concentrations in children treated with sodium valproate compared with other anticonvulsant drugs. Dev Med Child Neurol 1991;33:795-802. View abstract.
- Torrioli MG, Vernacotola S, Mariotti P, et al. Double-blind, placebo-controlled study of L-acetylcarnitine for the treatment of hyperactive behavior in fragile X syndrome. Am J Med Genet 1999;87:366-8.
- Torrioli MG, Vernacotola S, Peruzzi L, et al. A double-blind, parallel, multicenter comparison of L-acetylcarnitine with placebo on the attention deficit hyperactivity disorder in fragile X syndrome boys. Am J Med Genet A. 2008;146A(7):803-12. View abstract.
- Tsoko M, Beauseigneur F, Gresti J, et al. Enhancement of activities relative to fatty acid oxidation in the liver of rats depleted of L-carnitine by D-carnitine and a gamma- butyrobetaine hydroxylase inhibitor. Biochem Pharmacol 1995;49:1403-10. View abstract.
- Van Wouwe JP. Carnitine deficiency during valproic acid treatment. Int J Vitam Nutr Res 1995;65:211-4. View abstract.
- Vance CK, Vance H, Winter SC, et al. Control of valproate-induced hepatotoxicity with carnitine. Ann Neurol 1989;26:456.
- Veronese N, Stubbs B, Solmi M, Ajnakina O, Carvalho AF, Maggi S. Acetyl-L-Carnitine Supplementation and the Treatment of Depressive Symptoms: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Psychosom Med. 2018;80(2):154-9. View abstract.
- Vicari E, La Vignera S, Calogero AE. Antioxidant treatment with carnitines is effective in infertile patients with prostatovesiculoepididymitis and elevated seminal leukocyte concentrations after treatment with nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory compounds. Fertil Steril 2002;78:1203-8.. View abstract.
- Vidal-Casariego A, Burgos-Peláez R, Martínez-Faedo C, Calvo-Gracia F, Valero-Zanuy MÁ, Luengo-Pérez LM, Cuerda-Compés C. Metabolic effects of L-carnitine on type 2 diabetes mellitus: systematic review and meta-analysis. Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes. 2013 Apr;121(4):234-8. View abstract.
- Winter SC, Szabo-Aczel S, Curry CJR, et al. Plasma carnitine deficiency: Clinical observations in 51 pediatric patients. Am J Dis Child 1987;141:660-5. View abstract.
- Wu X, Huang W, Prasad PD, et al. Functional characteristics and tissue distribution pattern of organic cation transporter 2 (OCTN2), an organic cation/carnitine transporter. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 1999;290:1482-92. View abstract.
- Zelnik N, Fridkis I, Gruener N. Reduced carnitine and antiepileptic drugs: cause relationship or co-existence? Acta Paediatr 1995;84:93-5. View abstract.
- Dangin, M., Guillet, C., Garcia-Rodenas, C., Gachon, P., Bouteloup-Demange, C., Reiffers-Magnani, K., Fauquant, J., Ballevre, O., and Beaufrere, B. The rate of protein digestion affects protein gain differently during aging in humans. J Physiol 6-1-2003;549(Pt 2):635-644. View abstract.
- de, Seta L., Siani, P., Cirillo, G., Di, Gruttola M., Cimaduomo, L., and Coletta, S. [The prevention of allergic diseases with a hypoallergenic formula: a follow-up at 24 months. The preliminary results]. Pediatr Med Chir 1994;16(3):251-254. View abstract.
- De, Simone C., Ferranti, P., Picariello, G., Scognamiglio, I., Dicitore, A., Addeo, F., Chianese, L., and Stiuso, P. Peptides from water buffalo cheese whey induced senescence cell death via ceramide secretion in human colon adenocarcinoma cell line. Mol.Nutr Food Res 8-19-2010; View abstract.
- Demling, R. H. and DeSanti, L. Effect of a hypocaloric diet, increased protein intake and resistance training on lean mass gains and fat mass loss in overweight police officers. Ann Nutr Metab 2000;44(1):21-29. View abstract.
- den Hoed, C. M., de Vries, A. C., Mensink, P. B., Dierikx, C. M., Suzuki, H., Capelle, L., van, Dekken H., Ouwendijk, R., and Kuipers, E. J. Bovine antibody-based oral immunotherapy for reduction of intragastric Helicobacter pylori colonization: a randomized clinical trial. Can.J Gastroenterol. 2011;25(4):207-213. View abstract.
- Denysschen, C. A., Burton, H. W., Horvath, P. J., Leddy, J. J., and Browne, R. W. Resistance training with soy vs whey protein supplements in hyperlipidemic males. J Int Soc Sports Nutr 2009;6:8. View abstract.
- Deutz, N. E., Safar, A., Schutzler, S., Memelink, R., Ferrando, A., Spencer, H., van, Helvoort A., and Wolfe, R. R. Muscle protein synthesis in cancer patients can be stimulated with a specially formulated medical food. Clin Nutr 2011;30(6):759-768. View abstract.
- Diepvens, K., Haberer, D., and Westerterp-Plantenga, M. Different proteins and biopeptides differently affect satiety and anorexigenic/orexigenic hormones in healthy humans. Int J Obes.(Lond) 2008;32(3):510-518. View abstract.
- Drouin, R., Lamiot, E., Cantin, K., Gauthier, S. F., Pouliot, Y., Poubelle, P. E., and Juneau, C. XP-828L (Dermylex), a new whey protein extract with potential benefit for mild to moderate psoriasis. Can J Physiol Pharmacol 2007;85(9):943-951. View abstract.
- Du, B., Chai, W. Z., and Lin, X. M. [Effect of the whey basic protein on bone mineral density]. Zhonghua Yu Fang Yi.Xue.Za Zhi. 2007;41(2):96-100. View abstract.
- Dyer, A. R., Burdock, G. A., Carabin, I. G., Haas, M. C., Boyce, J., Alsaker, R., and Read, L. C. In vitro and in vivo safety studies of a proprietary whey extract. Food Chem.Toxicol. 2008;46(5):1659-1665. View abstract.
- Elia, D., Stadler, K., Horvath, V., and Jakus, J. Effect of soy- and whey protein-isolate supplemented diet on the redox parameters of trained mice. Eur.J Nutr 2006;45(5):259-266. View abstract.
- Eliot, K. A., Knehans, A. W., Bemben, D. A., Witten, M. S., Carter, J., and Bemben, M. G. The effects of creatine and whey protein supplementation on body composition in men aged 48 to 72 years during resistance training. J Nutr Health Aging 2008;12(3):208-212. View abstract.
- Elsadek, H. M. and et al. Effect of Whey Protein Toothpaste and Powder in Normal and Diabetics. Journal of Applied Sciences Research 2009;5(9):1259-1264.
- Eriksen, E. K., Holm, H., Jensen, E., Aaboe, R., Devold, T. G., Jacobsen, M., and Vegarud, G. E. Different digestion of caprine whey proteins by human and porcine gastrointestinal enzymes. Br J Nutr 2010;104(3):374-381. View abstract.
- Errichiello, L., Pezzella, M., Santulli, L., Striano, S., Zara, F., Minetti, C., Mainardi, P., and Striano, P. A proof-of-concept trial of the whey protein alfa-lactalbumin in chronic cortical myoclonus. Mov Disord. 2011;26(14):2573-2575. View abstract.
- Esteves de Oliveira, F. C., Pinheiro Volp, A. C., and Alfenas, R. C. Impact of different protein sources in the glycemic and insulinemic responses. Nutr Hosp. 2011;26(4):669-676. View abstract.
- Abou-Samra, R., Keersmaekers, L., Brienza, D., Mukherjee, R., and Mace, K. Effect of different protein sources on satiation and short-term satiety when consumed as a starter. Nutr J 2011;10:139. View abstract.
- Acheson, K. J., Blondel-Lubrano, A., Oguey-Araymon, S., Beaumont, M., Emady-Azar, S., Ammon-Zufferey, C., Monnard, I., Pinaud, S., Nielsen-Moennoz, C., and Bovetto, L. Protein choices targeting thermogenesis and metabolism. Am J Clin.Nutr 2011;93(3):525-534. View abstract.
- Agin, D., Gallagher, D., Wang, J., Heymsfield, S. B., Pierson, R. N., Jr., and Kotler, D. P. Effects of whey protein and resistance exercise on body cell mass, muscle strength, and quality of life in women with HIV. AIDS 12-7-2001;15(18):2431-2440. View abstract.
- Agin, D., Kotler, D. P., Papandreou, D., Liss, M., Wang, J., Thornton, J., Gallagher, D., and Pierson, R. N., Jr. Effects of whey protein and resistance exercise on body composition and muscle strength in women with HIV infection. Ann.N.Y.Acad.Sci. 2000;904:607-609. View abstract.
- Akhavan, T., Luhovyy, B. L., and Anderson, G. H. Effect of drinking compared with eating sugars or whey protein on short-term appetite and food intake. Int J Obes.(Lond) 8-24-2010; View abstract.
- Akhavan, T., Luhovyy, B. L., Brown, P. H., Cho, C. E., and Anderson, G. H. Effect of premeal consumption of whey protein and its hydrolysate on food intake and postmeal glycemia and insulin responses in young adults. Am J Clin Nutr 2010;91(4):966-975. View abstract.
- Aldrich, N. D., Reicks, M. M., Sibley, S. D., Redmon, J. B., Thomas, W., and Raatz, S. K. Varying protein source and quantity do not significantly improve weight loss, fat loss, or satiety in reduced energy diets among midlife adults. Nutr Res 2011;31(2):104-112. View abstract.
- Alexander, D. D. and Cabana, M. D. Partially hydrolyzed 100% whey protein infant formula and reduced risk of atopic dermatitis: a meta-analysis. J Pediatr Gastroenterol.Nutr 2010;50(4):422-430. View abstract.
- Alexander, D. D., Schmitt, D. F., Tran, N. L., Barraj, L. M., and Cushing, C. A. Partially hydrolyzed 100% whey protein infant formula and atopic dermatitis risk reduction: a systematic review of the literature. Nutr Rev. 2010;68(4):232-245. View abstract.
- Alfenas, Rde C., Bressan, J., and Paiva, A. C. Effects of protein quality on appetite and energy metabolism in normal weight subjects. Arq Bras.Endocrinol Metabol. 2010;54(1):45-51. View abstract.
- Almaas, H., Holm, H., Langsrud, T., Flengsrud, R., and Vegarud, G. E. In vitro studies of the digestion of caprine whey proteins by human gastric and duodenal juice and the effects on selected microorganisms. Br J Nutr 2006;96(3):562-569. View abstract.
- Alvarez, L. I., Saumell, C. A., Sanchez, S. F., and Lanusse, C. E. Plasma disposition kinetics of albendazole metabolites in pigs fed different diets. Res Vet.Sci 1996;60(2):152-156. View abstract.
- Anderson, G. H., Tecimer, S. N., Shah, D., and Zafar, T. A. Protein source, quantity, and time of consumption determine the effect of proteins on short-term food intake in young men. J Nutr 2004;134(11):3011-3015. View abstract.
- Antonione, R., Caliandro, E., Zorat, F., Guarnieri, G., Heer, M., and Biolo, G. Whey protein ingestion enhances postprandial anabolism during short-term bed rest in young men. J Nutr 2008;138(11):2212-2216. View abstract.
- Aoe, S., Koyama, T., Toba, Y., Itabashi, A., and Takada, Y. A controlled trial of the effect of milk basic protein (MBP) supplementation on bone metabolism in healthy menopausal women. Osteoporos.Int 2005;16(12):2123-2128. View abstract.
- Aoe, S., Toba, Y., Yamamura, J., Kawakami, H., Yahiro, M., Kumegawa, M., Itabashi, A., and Takada, Y. Controlled trial of the effects of milk basic protein (MBP) supplementation on bone metabolism in healthy adult women. Biosci.Biotechnol.Biochem. 2001;65(4):913-918. View abstract.
- Arnberg, K., Molgaard, C., Michaelsen, K. F., Jensen, S. M., Trolle, E., and Larnkjaer, A. Skim milk, whey, and casein increase body weight and whey and casein increase the plasma C-peptide concentration in overweight adolescents. J Nutr 2012;142(12):2083-2090. View abstract.
- Astbury, N. M., Stevenson, E. J., Morris, P., Taylor, M. A., and Macdonald, I. A. Dose-response effect of a whey protein preload on within-day energy intake in lean subjects. Br J Nutr 2010;104(12):1858-1867. View abstract.
- Atherton, P. J., Etheridge, T., Watt, P. W., Wilkinson, D., Selby, A., Rankin, D., Smith, K., and Rennie, M. J. Muscle full effect after oral protein: time-dependent concordance and discordance between human muscle protein synthesis and mTORC1 signaling. Am J Clin Nutr 2010;92(5):1080-1088. View abstract.
- Baer, D. J., Stote, K. S., Paul, D. R., Harris, G. K., Rumpler, W. V., and Clevidence, B. A. Whey protein but not soy protein supplementation alters body weight and composition in free-living overweight and obese adults. J Nutr 2011;141(8):1489-1494. View abstract.
- Ballard, K. D., Bruno, R. S., Seip, R. L., Quann, E. E., Volk, B. M., Freidenreich, D. J., Kawiecki, D. M., Kupchak, B. R., Chung, M. Y., Kraemer, W. J., and Volek, J. S. Acute ingestion of a novel whey-derived peptide improves vascular endothelial responses in healthy individuals: a randomized, placebo controlled trial. Nutr J 2009;8:34. View abstract.
- Ballard, K. D., Kupchak, B. R., Volk, B. M., Mah, E., Shkreta, A., Liptak, C., Ptolemy, A. S., Kellogg, M. S., Bruno, R. S., Seip, R. L., Maresh, C. M., Kraemer, W. J., and Volek, J. S. Acute effects of ingestion of a novel whey-derived extract on vascular endothelial function in overweight, middle-aged men and women. Br.J Nutr 3-14-2013;109(5):882-893. View abstract.
- Basu, J., Sachdeva, A., and Nagpal, J. Emerging health properties of fermented milk and whey proteins: Role in Helicobacter pylori eradication. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2009;43(10):1011-1012. View abstract.
- Bauer, M. P., Numan-Ruberg, S. C., Bredewold, O. W., Kuijper, E. J., Mooi-Kokenberg, E. A., Debast, S. B., and van Dissel, J. T. [Recurrence of Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhoea prevented by the administration of a whey concentrate from specifically immunised cows; prospective study]. Ned.Tijdschr.Geneeskd. 8-30-2008;152(35):1919-1926. View abstract.
- Baumann, J. M., Rundell, K. W., Evans, T. M., and Levine, A. M. Effects of cysteine donor supplementation on exercise-induced bronchoconstriction. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2005;37(9):1468-1473. View abstract.
- Bayram, T., Pekmez, M., Arda, N., and Yalcin, A. S. Antioxidant activity of whey protein fractions isolated by gel exclusion chromatography and protease treatment. Talanta 5-15-2008;75(3):705-709. View abstract.
- Beaulieu, J., Dupont, C., and Lemieux, P. Anti-inflammatory potential of a malleable matrix composed of fermented whey proteins and lactic acid bacteria in an atopic dermatitis model. J Inflamm.(Lond) 2007;4:6. View abstract.
- Beaulieu, J., Girard, D., Dupont, C., and Lemieux, P. Inhibition of neutrophil infiltration by a malleable protein matrix of lactic acid bacteria-fermented whey proteins in vivo. Inflamm.Res 2009;58(3):133-138. View abstract.
- Beaulieu, J., Millette, E., Trottier, E., Precourt, L. P., Dupont, C., and Lemieux, P. Regulatory function of a malleable protein matrix as a novel fermented whey product on features defining the metabolic syndrome. J Med Food 2010;13(3):509-519. View abstract.
- Becker, A., Watson, W., Ferguson, A., Dimich-Ward, H., and Chan-Yeung, M. The Canadian asthma primary prevention study: outcomes at 2 years of age. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2004;113(4):650-656. View abstract.
- Bellissimo, N., Desantadina, M. V., Pencharz, P. B., Berall, G. B., Thomas, S. G., and Anderson, G. H. A comparison of short-term appetite and energy intakes in normal weight and obese boys following glucose and whey-protein drinks. Int J Obes.(Lond) 2008;32(2):362-371. View abstract.
- Bellissimo, N., Thomas, S. G., Goode, R. C., and Anderson, G. H. Effect of short-duration physical activity and ventilation threshold on subjective appetite and short-term energy intake in boys. Appetite 2007;49(3):644-651. View abstract.
- Bemben MG, Witten MS Carter JM Eliot KA Knehans AW Bemben DA. The effects of supplementation with creatine and protein on muscle strength following a traditional resistance training program in middle-aged and older men. J Nutr Health Aging. 2010;14(2):155-159. View abstract.
- Benton, M. J. and Swan, P. D. Effect of protein ingestion on energy expenditure and substrate utilization after exercise in middle-aged women. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc.Metab 2007;17(6):544-555. View abstract.
- Berg, A., Kramer, U., Link, E., Bollrath, C., Heinrich, J., Brockow, I., Koletzko, S., Grubl, A., Filipiak-Pittroff, B., Wichmann, H. E., Bauer, C. P., Reinhardt, D., and Berdel, D. Impact of early feeding on childhood eczema: development after nutritional intervention compared with the natural course - the GINIplus study up to the age of 6 years. Clin Exp.Allergy 2010;40(4):627-636. View abstract.
- Berthold, H. K., Schulte, D. M., Lapointe, J. F., Lemieux, P., Krone, W., and Gouni-Berthold, I. The whey fermentation product malleable protein matrix decreases triglyceride concentrations in subjects with hypercholesterolemia: a randomized placebo-controlled trial. J Dairy Sci 2011;94(2):589-601. View abstract.
- Betts, J. A., Toone, R. J., Stokes, K. A., and Thompson, D. Systemic indices of skeletal muscle damage and recovery of muscle function after exercise: effect of combined carbohydrate-protein ingestion. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab 2009;34(4):773-784. View abstract.
- Betts, J. A., Williams, C., Boobis, L., and Tsintzas, K. Increased carbohydrate oxidation after ingesting carbohydrate with added protein. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2008;40(5):903-912. View abstract.
- Betts, J., Williams, C., Duffy, K., and Gunner, F. The influence of carbohydrate and protein ingestion during recovery from prolonged exercise on subsequent endurance performance. J Sports Sci 2007;25(13):1449-1460. View abstract.
- Bihuniak, J. D., Simpson, C. A., Sullivan, R. R., Caseria, D. M., Kerstetter, J. E., and Insogna, K. L. Dietary protein-induced increases in urinary calcium are accompanied by similar increases in urinary nitrogen and urinary urea: a controlled clinical trial. J Acad.Nutr Diet. 2013;113(3):447-451. View abstract.
- Bjorkman, M. P., Pilvi, T. K., Kekkonen, R. A., Korpela, R., and Tilvis, R. S. Similar effects of leucine rich and regular dairy products on muscle mass and functions of older polymyalgia rheumatica patients: a randomized crossover trial. J Nutr Health Aging 2011;15(6):462-467. View abstract.
- Blacker, S. D., Williams, N. C., Fallowfield, J. L., Bilzon, J. L., and Willems, M. E. Carbohydrate vs protein supplementation for recovery of neuromuscular function following prolonged load carriage. J Int Soc Sports Nutr 2010;7:2. View abstract.
- Bongers, M. E., de, Lorijn F., Reitsma, J. B., Groeneweg, M., Taminiau, J. A., and Benninga, M. A. The clinical effect of a new infant formula in term infants with constipation: a double-blind, randomized cross-over trial. Nutr J 2007;6:8. View abstract.
- Bordenave, S., Sannier, F., Ricart, G., and Piot, J. M. Continuous hydrolysis of goat whey in an ultrafiltration reactor: generation of alpha-lactorphin. Prep.Biochem.Biotechnol. 1999;29(2):189-202. View abstract.
- Borsheim, E., Aarsland, A., and Wolfe, R. R. Effect of an amino acid, protein, and carbohydrate mixture on net muscle protein balance after resistance exercise. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc.Metab 2004;14(3):255-271. View abstract.
- Bortolotti, M., Maiolo, E., Corazza, M., Van, Dijke E., Schneiter, P., Boss, A., Carrel, G., Giusti, V., Le, K. A., Quo Chong, D. G., Buehler, T., Kreis, R., Boesch, C., and Tappy, L. Effects of a whey protein supplementation on intrahepatocellular lipids in obese female patients. Clin.Nutr 2011;30(4):494-498. View abstract.
- Bowen, J., Noakes, M., and Clifton, P. M. Appetite hormones and energy intake in obese men after consumption of fructose, glucose and whey protein beverages. Int J Obes.(Lond) 2007;31(11):1696-1703. View abstract.
- Bowen, J., Noakes, M., and Clifton, P. M. Appetite regulatory hormone responses to various dietary proteins differ by body mass index status despite similar reductions in ad libitum energy intake. J Clin Endocrinol.Metab 2006;91(8):2913-2919. View abstract.
- Bowen, J., Noakes, M., Trenerry, C., and Clifton, P. M. Energy intake, ghrelin, and cholecystokinin after different carbohydrate and protein preloads in overweight men. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2006;91(4):1477-1483. View abstract.
- Braun-Fahrlander, C. and von, Mutius E. Can farm milk consumption prevent allergic diseases? Clin.Exp.Allergy 2011;41(1):29-35. View abstract.
- Breen, L., Philp, A., Witard, O. C., Jackman, S. R., Selby, A., Smith, K., Baar, K., and Tipton, K. D. The influence of carbohydrate-protein co-ingestion following endurance exercise on myofibrillar and mitochondrial protein synthesis. J Physiol 8-15-2011;589(Pt 16):4011-4025. View abstract.
- Brown, E. C., DiSilvestro, R. A., Babaknia, A., and Devor, S. T. Soy versus whey protein bars: effects on exercise training impact on lean body mass and antioxidant status. Nutr J 12-8-2004;3:22. View abstract.
- Brun, A. C., Stordal, K., Johannesdottir, G. B., Bentsen, B. S., and Medhus, A. W. The effect of protein composition in liquid meals on gastric emptying rate in children with cerebral palsy. Clin.Nutr 2012;31(1):108-112. View abstract.
- Buckley, J. D., Thomson, R. L., Coates, A. M., Howe, P. R., DeNichilo, M. O., and Rowney, M. K. Supplementation with a whey protein hydrolysate enhances recovery of muscle force-generating capacity following eccentric exercise. J Sci Med Sport 2010;13(1):178-181. View abstract.
- Burke, D. G., Chilibeck, P. D., Davidson, K. S., Candow, D. G., Farthing, J., and Smith-Palmer, T. The effect of whey protein supplementation with and without creatine monohydrate combined with resistance training on lean tissue mass and muscle strength. Int J Sport Nutr.Exerc.Metab 2001;11(3):349-364. View abstract.
- Calbet, J. A. and Holst, J. J. Gastric emptying, gastric secretion and enterogastrone response after administration of milk proteins or their peptide hydrolysates in humans. Eur.J Nutr 2004;43(3):127-139. View abstract.
- Camfield, D. A., Owen, L., Scholey, A. B., Pipingas, A., and Stough, C. Dairy constituents and neurocognitive health in ageing. Br.J Nutr 2011;106(2):159-174. View abstract.
- Canciani, M. and Mastella, G. Absorption of a new semielemental diet in infants with cystic fibrosis. J Pediatr Gastroenterol.Nutr 1985;4(5):735-740. View abstract.
- Carcillo, J. A., Dean, J. M., Holubkov, R., Berger, J., Meert, K. L., Anand, K. J., Zimmerman, J., Newth, C. J., Harrison, R., Burr, J., Willson, D. F., and Nicholson, C. The randomized comparative pediatric critical illness stress-induced immune suppression (CRISIS) prevention trial. Pediatr.Crit Care Med. 2012;13(2):165-173. View abstract.
- Carcillo, J., Holubkov, R., Dean, J. M., Berger, J., Meert, K. L., Anand, K. J., Zimmerman, J., Newth, C. J., Harrison, R., Willson, D. F., and Nicholson, C. Rationale and design of the pediatric critical illness stress-induced immune suppression (CRISIS) prevention trial. JPEN J Parenter.Enteral Nutr 2009;33(4):368-374. View abstract.
- Cepero, M. Influence of ingesting casein protein and whey carbohydrate beverages on recovery and performance of an endurance cycling test. Journal of Human Sport & Exercise 2010;5(2):158.
- Chan, Y. H., Shek, L. P., Aw, M., Quak, S. H., and Lee, B. W. Use of hypoallergenic formula in the prevention of atopic disease among Asian children. J Paediatr.Child Health 2002;38(1):84-88. View abstract.
- Chan-Yeung, M., Manfreda, J., Dimich-Ward, H., Ferguson, A., Watson, W., and Becker, A. A randomized controlled study on the effectiveness of a multifaceted intervention program in the primary prevention of asthma in high-risk infants. Arch Pediatr Adolesc.Med 2000;154(7):657-663. View abstract.
- Chang, C. Y., Trehan, I., Wang, R. J., Thakwalakwa, C., Maleta, K., Deitchler, M., and Manary, M. J. Children successfully treated for moderate acute malnutrition remain at risk for malnutrition and death in the subsequent year after recovery. J Nutr 2013;143(2):215-220. View abstract.
- Chen, J. R., Singhal, R., Lazarenko, O. P., Liu, X., Hogue, W. R., Badger, T. M., and Ronis, M. J. Short term effects on bone quality associated with consumption of soy protein isolate and other dietary protein sources in rapidly growing female rats. Exp.Biol Med (Maywood.) 2008;233(11):1348-1358. View abstract.
- Chirico, G., Gasparoni, A., Ciardelli, L., De, Amici M., Colombo, A., and Rondini, G. Immunogenicity and antigenicity of a partially hydrolyzed cow's milk infant formula. Allergy 1997;52(1):82-88. View abstract.
- Chitapanarux, T., Tienboon, P., Pojchamarnwiputh, S., and Leelarungrayub, D. Open-labeled pilot study of cysteine-rich whey protein isolate supplementation for nonalcoholic steatohepatitis patients. J Gastroenterol.Hepatol. 2009;24(6):1045-1050. View abstract.
- Choi, Y. S., Goto, S., Ikeda, I., and Sugano, M. Interaction of dietary protein, cholesterol and age on lipid metabolism of the rat. Br J Nutr 1989;61(3):531-543. View abstract.
- Choi, Y. S., Ikeda, I., and Sugano, M. Dietary fats modulate age-dependent effects of dietary proteins on cholesterol metabolism in rats. J Nutr Sci Vitaminol.(Tokyo) 1990;36 Suppl 2:S181-S184. View abstract.
- Choi, Y. S., Ikeda, I., and Sugano, M. The combined effects of dietary proteins and fish oil on cholesterol metabolism in rats of different ages. Lipids 1989;24(6):506-510. View abstract.
- Chromiak, J. A., Smedley, B., Carpenter, W., Brown, R., Koh, Y. S., Lamberth, J. G., Joe, L. A., Abadie, B. R., and Altorfer, G. Effect of a 10-week strength training program and recovery drink on body composition, muscular strength and endurance, and anaerobic power and capacity. Nutrition 2004;20(5):420-427. View abstract.
- Chung, C. S., Yamini, S., and Trumbo, P. R. FDA's health claim review: whey-protein partially hydrolyzed infant formula and atopic dermatitis. Pediatrics 2012;130(2):e408-e414. View abstract.
- Chungchunlam, S. M., Moughan, P. J., Henare, S. J., and Ganesh, S. Effect of time of consumption of preloads on measures of satiety in healthy normal weight women. Appetite 2012;59(2):281-288. View abstract.
- Claessens, M., Calame, W., Siemensma, A. D., van Baak, M. A., and Saris, W. H. The effect of different protein hydrolysate/carbohydrate mixtures on postprandial glucagon and insulin responses in healthy subjects. Eur.J Clin Nutr 2009;63(1):48-56. View abstract.
- Claessens, M., Saris, W. H., and van Baak, M. A. Glucagon and insulin responses after ingestion of different amounts of intact and hydrolysed proteins. Br J Nutr 2008;100(1):61-69. View abstract.
- Claessens, M., van Baak, M. A., Monsheimer, S., and Saris, W. H. The effect of a low-fat, high-protein or high-carbohydrate ad libitum diet on weight loss maintenance and metabolic risk factors. Int J Obes.(Lond) 2009;33(3):296-304. View abstract.
- Clausen, M. R., Skibsted, L. H., and Stagsted, J. Characterization of major radical scavenger species in bovine milk through size exclusion chromatography and functional assays. J Agric.Food Chem. 4-8-2009;57(7):2912-2919. View abstract.
- Coburn, J. W., Housh, D. J., Housh, T. J., Malek, M. H., Beck, T. W., Cramer, J. T., Johnson, G. O., and Donlin, P. E. Effects of leucine and whey protein supplementation during eight weeks of unilateral resistance training. J Strength Cond.Res 2006;20(2):284-291. View abstract.
- Coffey, V. G., Moore, D. R., Burd, N. A., Rerecich, T., Stellingwerff, T., Garnham, A. P., Phillips, S. M., and Hawley, J. A. Nutrient provision increases signalling and protein synthesis in human skeletal muscle after repeated sprints. Eur.J Appl.Physiol 2011;111(7):1473-1483. View abstract.
- Cooke, M. B., Rybalka, E., Stathis, C. G., Cribb, P. J., and Hayes, A. Whey protein isolate attenuates strength decline after eccentrically-induced muscle damage in healthy individuals. J Int Soc Sports Nutr 2010;7:30. View abstract.
- Cornish, S. M., Candow, D. G., Jantz, N. T., Chilibeck, P. D., Little, J. P., Forbes, S., Abeysekara, S., and Zello, G. A. Conjugated linoleic acid combined with creatine monohydrate and whey protein supplementation during strength training. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc.Metab 2009;19(1):79-96. View abstract.
- D'Agata, A., Betta, P., Sciacca, P., Morano, C., Pratico, G., Curreri, R., Quattrocchi, O., and Sciacca, F. [Role of dietary prevention in newborns at risk for atopy. Results of a follow-up study]. Pediatr Med Chir 1996;18(5):469-472. View abstract.
Have you ever purchased WHEY PROTEIN?
Did you or will you purchase this product in-store or online?
Where did you or where do you plan to purchase this product?
Where did you or where do you plan to purchase this product?
What factors influenced or will influence your purchase? (check all that apply)
Where did you or where do you plan to purchase this product?
Do you buy vitamins online or instore?
What factors are most important to you? (check all that apply)